Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PNY GTX 550 TI work with 450watt power supply?

Well would it?

What would happen if I installed it and tried to play say skyrim on max graphics?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure the 450 will work for that gpu. But I doubt that gpu will be enough to max Skyrim @ 1080p.

H460AD-00 is the model of my power supply.

Looks like a dell PSU according to here: http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19433272.aspx

I would say it should work since it does have a 6pin PSU connector, and the 550TI not only uses low power, but only requires a single PCI-E 6pin connection.

Yeah its a dell power supply

http://www.ebay.it/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....d=353054616937 is it.

So if I get it it should work fine and have no problems with it?

It should work fine, yep. I was also under the impression that you already had the GPU judging by the name of the thread title and all, so I'd say get a better PSU just to be on the safer side in the future, especially if you're considering upgrading anything else.

I'm not saying that the dell one you linked won't work with the card, but personally, I'd still spend more for a more reputed brand that specialize in power supplies (Corsair, Seasonic, etc). It's up to you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    Looks like a dell PSU according to here: http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19433272.aspx

I would say it should work since it does have a 6pin PSU connector, and the 550TI not only uses low power, but only requires a single PCI-E 6pin connection.
    Yeah it has the 6-pin PCI Express connector so it should fit the 550 Ti will work fine with a 460W PSU. But you will not get max settings on Skyrim with that card.

Now if you are shopping for a PSU *DO NOT* buy a Dell. Go get a good one from Corsair or Antec.

Well its a Xps 8500 model from dell and I need a new graphics card for it..........

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Well its a Xps 8500 model from dell and I need a new graphics card for it..........
    Then yes it will work just fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Sure the 450 will work for that gpu. But I doubt that gpu will be enough to max Skyrim @ 1080p.
    I would be surprised if 550 ti couldn't max a game that looks as bad as skyrim.

Deleted
    If you have not bought the 550Ti by now then drop that idea and get an AMD 6850. They cost about the same with the added benefit of much better performance from the 6850. Look out for the single PCI-E powered versions like the MSI Cyclone or some of the XFX ones as you only have one PCI-E connection on your PSU and that way you wont need a molex to PCI-E connector.

So this won't damage my computer or make it crash?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I would be surprised if 550 ti couldn't max a game that looks as bad as skyrim.
    You have obviously never actually played Skyrim maxed out. Please don't make such ridiculous claims. At 1080p Skyrim would cripple the 550 Ti.

15+ Year Old Account
    450 watt and MSI Gtx550 ti here, works fine
    step into everything will gief ya nothing, mon

A better question is why are you (buying?) a 550ti? Unless its free buy a better card.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    A better question is why are you (buying?) a 550ti? Unless its free buy a better card.
    Because im poor and getting it from a friend for £70?

Why what would you suggest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Because im poor and getting it from a friend for £70?

Why what would you suggest?
    For 70 it's a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    For 70 it's a steal.
    £70 is not a steal, its about £85 for a new one.

70 pounds sterling is between 20 and 30 pounds less than what a brand new one would cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he can find a 6850 for that price, then I'd go for that, but still, "steal or not" the 550 Ti is good for 70. Also, OP, any idea what resolution you'll be gaming on?