Thread: Unreal Engine 4

Unreal Engine 4

Didn't really know if this a video game discussion or computer discussion so I just put it here, but any thoughts on the release demo of the new engine? I thought it looked pretty darn good. I did a whole rant on it.

More curious as to the specifics of the engine and what it's capable of. The demo was pretty good, but I felt that the Samaratin demo did a FAR better job showing off some of the specific capabilities. Didn't seem like they put their best foot forward as a whole, you had to look closely to see the improvements to the engine, but the improvements are definitely impressive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well fuck. I foresee yet another hardware upgrade in a not too distant future. And I got my GTX 560Ti 2 days ago.

That 2½ minute demo looks rather incredible though, looks on par with WoW's cinematics.
    "After dealing with about 10 000 patients over the last 15 years, I would say that over 200 different medical conditions respond favorably to cannabis."
    - The late Dr. Tod Mikuriya, MD, interview in The Union: The business behind getting high
    Former national administrator of the U.S. Government's marijuana research programs
    http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/home

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post
    Well fuck. I foresee yet another hardware upgrade in a not too distant future. And I got my GTX 560Ti 2 days ago.

That 2½ minute demo looks rather incredible though, looks on par with WoW's cinematics.
    Don't worry, the current console generation is gonna stick around for year or two more and no one makes games for PC alone if they can avoid it.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what scalability it has for game developers. Like can you make an unreal 4 game on the existing console base for instance or will it only function with upgraded hardware on newer consoles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dassen View Post

The demo ran on a single GTX 680 as far as I remember, and considering how scalable most PC games are I wouldn't think you need to upgrade any time soon. Especially since the next console generation isn't coming out till the end of 2013 at the earliest, and the fact that the engine isn't completed yet either. It will probably be at least a few more years before we see games running on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    I wonder what scalability it has for game developers. Like can you make an unreal 4 game on the existing console base for instance or will it only function with upgraded hardware on newer consoles?
    It will totally run on older hardware. They made a few on the spot games showing off the new developer tools (each game only took a couple of hours to create). They were super basic but looked good and could easily be run on any of the current gen hardware including some older PC setups.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

It will totally run on older hardware. They made a few on the spot games showing off the new developer tools (each game only took a couple of hours to create). They were super basic but looked good and could easily be run on any of the current gen hardware including some older PC setups.
    That's what I figured. The more important question is at the other end of the spectrum will developers also be able to use the unreal engine to use the latest and most advanced hardware?

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The demo ran on a single GTX 680 as far as I remember, and considering how scalable most PC games are I wouldn't think you need to upgrade any time soon. Especially since the next console generation isn't coming out till the end of 2013 at the earliest, and the fact that the engine isn't completed yet either. It will probably be at least a few more years before we see games running on this.

I heard it was a 690. But your point still stands. We won't see games using this engine until at least 2014 and even then the games will be minimal until more developers experiment with it.