Diablo 3 Stat Mechanics

I think forums had too much non-constructive threads on moment of writing this post and need some positive thought. Here is compiled and tested information on D3 stat mechanics, which is currently very scattered throughout internet and is given in game in a very vague manner. Hopefully it will help someone trying to min-max their toons to do it more effectively, to help analyze or make their own spreadsheets or just to understand how stats work more in-depth.

1. Attributes.

Strength.
    Strength is Primary Damage Multiplier (PMD) for Barbarians and increases damage done by them by 1% per point.
    Strength increases Armor for all classes by 1 per point.
    Base Strength for Barbarians at lv60 is 187, for other classes - 67.

Dexterity.
    Dexterity is Primary Damage Multiplier for Demon Hunters and Monks and increases damage done by them by 1% per point.
    Dexterity increases Dodge Chance for all classes:
    1. Dexterity 0-100. Each point of Dexterity gives 0.1% Dodge up to 10% Dodge at 100 Dexterity.
    2. Dexterity 100-500. Each point of Dexterity gives 0.025% Dodge up to 20% Dodge at 500 Dexterity.
    3. Dexterity 500-1000. Each point of Dexterity gives 0.02% Dodge up to 30% Dodge at 1000 Dexterity.
    4. Dexterity 1000-8000. Each point of Dexterity gives 0.01% Dodge up to 100% Dodge at 8000 Dexterity.
    Base Dexterity for Demon Hunters and Monks at lv60 is 187, for other classes - 67.

Intelligence.
    Intelligence is Primary Damage Multiplier for Witch Doctors and Wizards and increases damage done by them by 1% per point.
    Intelligence increases all Resistances for all classes by 0.1 per point.
    Base Dexterity for Witch Doctors and Wizards at lv60 is 187, for other classes - 67.

Vitality.
    Vitality increases Maximum Life (HP) for all classes:
    1. Level 1-35. Each point of Vitality increases Maximum Life by 10.
    2. Level 36-60. Each point of Vitality increases Maximum Life by (10+(CLv-35)), where CLv is Character Level.
    Base Vitality for each class at lv60 is 128. Base HP for each class at lv60 is 4756 (with 276 HP being base bonus HP).

Armor.
    Armor increases Damage Reduction (DR) against all sources of damage, physical and magical, according to next formula:
    DR=Armor/(Armor+50*MLv),

where MLv – Mob Level.

Damage.
    Damage is shown on your Character Sheet as the damage he can deal per second against opponents with 0 Armor and 0 Resistances by using 100% Weapon Damage attack. It is calculated according to next formula:
    Damage=WDPS*(1+PMD)*(1+CritChance+CritBonus)*IAS,

where WDPS – Weapon DPS as it is shown on Weapon's tooltip, it takes into account IAS which comes on weapon (and you need to put IAS which comes from other pieces of gear into formula), but not from other pieces. Also if Weapon has +x-y Damage gem in it’s socket, final Damage value on Character Sheet will be slightly off due to calculations’ bug.

2. Details.

Damage Reduction.
    Damage Reduction comes from 6 sources:
    1. Baseline Damage Reduction of 30% for Barbarians and Monks, Damage Reduction from Passive Skills for other classes.
    2. Damage Reduction from Armor.
    3. Damage Reduction from Resistances.
    4. Special Affixes on items (in example: “of the Gladiator” – reduces damage from melee attacks by (3-4)%).
    5. Dodge Chance.
    6. Block Chance, Block Amount.
    Game follows next formula for calculating Damage Reduction:
    DR=Damage*DR(Baseline/Passive)*DR(Armor)*DR(Res)*DR(SA),

Where Res – Resistance associated with damage source, and SA - Special Affix associated with damage source.
    After damage is calculated, game performs check if it was dodged. If Dodge check wasn’t successful, game checks if damage was blocked and substracts Block Amount from incoming damage.
    Total DR (TDR), granted you don’t stand in AoE, is calculated according to this formula:
    TDR=DR*DR(Dodge)-(1-DodgeChance)*BlockChance*(BlockAmountMin+BlockAmountMax)/2

Resistances.
    There are 6 types of Resistances – Physical, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, Arcane/Holy. Each of them reduces associated damage according to next formula:
    DR=Resistance/(Resistance+5*MLv)

It should be noted that Character Sheet doesn’t show precise amount of Resistance (but shows precise amount of DR up to second decimal place), as it rounds that amount to whole number.

Dodge.
    Dodge Chance is a chance to completely avoid any attack, physical and magical, except damage from ground AoE effects, Arcane Sentries, Plague and Desecration.
    All buffs which increase your Dodge Chance, do so in multiplicative manner. In example, The Guardian's Path increases your chance to dodge by 1.15, Mantra of Evasion by 1.15, if they are both in use - they increase Dodge Chance by 1.3225.
    Due to static cost of Dodge in terms of Dexterity points (outside of breakpoints), each point of Dexterity gives you more survival than previous point and effectively raises your EHP, whlie Armor and Resists give same amount of survival per point.

Block.
    After performing check on Dodge and if it fails, game checks character’s chance to Block. Block works against any kind of damage, physical and magical, except damage from ground AoE effects, Arcane Sentries, Plague and Desecration. If Block was performed successfully, random numebr from Block Amount range is substracted from incoming damage.

Effective Health Points.
    Effective Health Points (EHP) show how much actual HP you have, if you would have 0 damage reductions.
    EHP Coefficient (EHPC) hows how much each point of your HP actually costs.
    EHPC is calculated in next way (granted you don’t stand in AoE):
    EHPC=1/(1-TDR).

EHP is calculated by multiplying your HP on EHPC.

P.S.: Extensive testing will be done on MF formulas post 1.0.3. If someone has anything decent to share - would be cool.

Why do I get "dodge" show up when Diablo throws his fireball on me? It is a aoe ground effect, and I have dodged it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why do I get "dodge" show up when Diablo throws his fireball on me? It is a aoe ground effect, and I have dodged it many times.
    you can dodge everything in the diablo game spells/melee/ranged attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimand View Post
    you can dodge everything in the diablo game spells/melee/ranged attacks
    You can also dodge fire (fire on the ground like molten).

If you have 10% dodge chance and 25% block chance, will you block 25% or 27.78% (0.25/0.9) of hits which aren't dodged?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoiledkid View Post
    If you have 10% dodge chance and 25% block chance, will you block 25% or 27.78% (0.25/0.9) of hits which aren't dodged?
    You will effectively block 22.5% of attacks ((1-0.1)/4).
    Diablo's fireball has 2 layers of damage - 1st is missile attack, which can be dodged, other one is ground AoE (when fireball falls on ground after hitting you). Perhaps ground AoE part falls under category of Molten as being direct mob attack, didn't test it on purpose.

Molten counts as direct mob's attack not actual ground AoE. Same as Frozen counts as mob's missile and can be dodged too.

From all exceptions I found, where Dodge doesn't help - Plagued, Desecration, Arcane Sentry. Azmodan's ground AoE also not dodgeable.