[Help] Is my HD about to die?!

Hey all.

Downloaded and had a look at CrystalDisk because my computer started to randomly shutdown and failed to find my HD on startup.

So, this is what I see;

This doesn't look good, lol.

I don't know what any of it means.

Do I need a new HD ASAP? Is it about to die on me? What would you guys recommend?

EDIT: I have backed up my stuff incase it crashes on me

Yea your HDD is FUBAR. It has bad sectors which means it's faulty. Backup everything you can before it completely dies and get a new one ASAP

as for recommendations if that drive is just for windows and you keep all your files on a secondary HDD then go for a SSD, they are more expensive and have less storage but they will speed your loading times up by heaps it'll still run the same but things will load faster at least
    Last edited by Nasriel; 2012-06-13 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Quote Originally Posted by Nasriel View Post
    Yea your HDD is FUBAR. It has bad sectors which means it's faulty. Backup everything you can before it completely dies and get a new one ASAP
    Yeah I've already backed up all my important stuff

Blegh, you shitty HD!

Don't worry lol, I feel your pain, My laptop actually told me the HDD was dying which surprised me. Windows was "Oh Hai! I'm detecting HDD seek errors. Backup your crap and replace your HDD" Needless to say off to the factory for warranty repairs my lappy went heh. At least it's only the HDD, one of the cheapest and easiest things to replace

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Don't worry lol, I feel your pain, My laptop actually told me the HDD was dying which surprised me. Windows was "Oh Hai! I'm detecting HDD seek errors. Backup your crap and replace your HDD" Needless to say off to the factory for warranty repairs my lappy went heh. At least it's only the HDD, one of the cheapest and easiest things to replace
    Lol that seriously sucks! Yeah, you're right, at least it's not that expensive to replace! Just really inconvenient :|

as for recommendations if that drive is just for windows and you keep all your files on a secondary HDD then go for a SSD, they are more expensive and have less storage but they will speed your loading times up by heaps it'll still run the same but things will load faster at least
    All hard drives have bad sectors. When you format a drive to before it's first use, your OS marks the faulty sectors so that the drive doesn't use them. Over time your hard drive will naturally develop more bad sectors, automatically moving the data stored there to a new place (reallocation). Every hard drive now days has extra sectors that are reserved specifically for this allocation. A hard drive will start 'going bad' when it's reached the limit on the amount of allocated sectors, as the listed capacity will begin to shrink as the drive is unable to continue to store data.

From the looks of it, your hard drive may or may not still be under warranty, in which case you can send it back for a new one. However, you will have to call them to verify your information.

Good luck.