Thread: GTX 680 Issue!

GTX 680 Issue!

Recently I finished building my computer yet I've stumbled on a problem with my GTX 680. When for example I'm playing Diablo 3 my clock speed runs at 1058MHz as it is meant to but after say 10 seconds it drops down to random numbers like 400-700 keeping my framerate at 60 it can also drop to around 324MHz. So basically my clock speed is very random. Now when I turn my VSync off (I own a 60Hertz monitor) it clocks up to 1058MHz even higher and my framerate goes through the roof.

Now my question is, could it be that my GTX 680 is faulty or is it underclocking itself to match my monitors refresh rate and then actualy going at 1058MHz clocking speed when I want it to ignore my monitors refresh rate?

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by TheMorf; 2012-06-13 at 08:30 AM.

Its just underclocking itself because it doesnt need that much to run diablo.

Yeah, not faulty, it's a design feature.

Sometimes when I play with VSync on it can drop to around 55-57fps and jump straight back up to 60 is this also normal?

all nvidia cards do this. all you can do is make sure "adaptive power" is off and "prefer maximum performance" is on in the power settings

it will still do it some. it's been a bug with the drivers since early 2011

Where do I do that?

Deleted
    Nvidia Control Panel.
    A side note D3 is lets say buggy atm i have seen loads of players have problems with stuttering/fps drops i doubt very much it's your card mate more the game is at fault.

Deleted
    isn't this just GPU boost doing what it's supposed to do?

If you are running flash (like youtube) in the background, make sure you disable hardware acceleration (right click a video -> Settings -> uncheck).
    It can sometimes make the video card clock itself to the 2D-application clockspeeds instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Nvidia Control Panel.
    A side note D3 is lets say buggy atm i have seen loads of players have problems with stuttering/fps drops i doubt very much it's your card mate more the game is at fault.
    During my framedrops i see the GPU load decrease even. So probably a CPU issue. Blizzard did an awesome job to release a game in march2012 with only dual-core support.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    During my framedrops i see the GPU load decrease even. So probably a CPU issue. Blizzard did an awesome job to release a game in march2012 with only dual-core support.
    OP is not having FPS issues, just the core clock dropping. This is GPU boost working as intended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post
    OP is not having FPS issues, just the core clock dropping. This is GPU boost working as intended.
    I know, it was an offtopic comment on Stravs' comment. I should've mentioned it was off-topic.

Deleted
    Noted mate....yea i was just thinking of possible reasons why he has fps drops in D3 as stated it has its bugs atm. And yea nvidia cards are made to do that. Nothing to be concerned about fella