Deleted

Question Help with my old pc :)

Well, I got my old PC here, about 3-4 years old and now it's kinda outdated, I really want to play my B3 but it does lagg a lot. I was hoping you guys could clearify this for me, do I need to buy a new PC or can I just upgrade my graphics card.. if I can just upgrade my graphics card how long do you reckon the upgrade will last?
    here is my PC spec:

Processor: 3,00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K Rev 1.xx
    Drive: ASUS DRW-1814BL ATA Device [Optical drive]
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    It got 4x2GB RAM

Let me know if I'm missing some information

Thank you
    - Munkens

You should upgrade your GPU. Should definitely be enough.

Can you also give us a budget? What PSU are you using? What's your screen's resolution?

It doesn't worth investing money on a dead platform. Sell your old PC and use the newly acquired funds to get a MB that supports DDR3 and newer CPUs. But first, you'll have to give us a budget.

Deleted
    For a completely new pc I would probs pay 1000-1100 USD. My screen resolution is 1920x1080. Here is what is written on my PSU not sure if thats the info you are seeking though :I Antec earthwatts: model EA-500D. 500W max

Don't exaggerate. The C2D platform is capable enough to run BF3 fine in 1080p.
    The GPU is slow though.
    If you get a HD 7850, HD 7870, HD 7950 or GTX 670 you'd be more than fine.

as menitoned whats the PSU? for a medium to high end card you want a `meaty` one (seasonic 650 would be an awesome one for example)

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Don't exaggerate. The C2D platform is capable enough to run BF3 fine in 1080p.
    The GPU is slow though.
    If you get a HD 7850, HD 7870, HD 7950 or GTX 670 you'd be more than fine.
    A 7950 with that setup would be completely pointless.

OT: I'd just go with a whole new computer OP, for your price range you can build a pretty decent computer.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    A 7950 with that setup would be completely pointless.

OT: I'd just go with a whole new computer OP, for your price range you can build a pretty decent computer.
    What.
    Are you seriously suggesting him getting a new computer when he has a C2D? For BF3?
    That is bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    What.
    Are you seriously suggesting him getting a new computer when he has a C2D? For BF3?
    That is bad advice.
    Im suggesting in general. As is your advice for him to put in a 7950, thats money wasted since the card would be bottlenecked by the rest of the stuff.

Unless you want to get a completely new computer it's not needed to replace everything. I would buy a 670. I have the same psu as you and I got a gigabyte 670 windforce 3x and it works excellent. For 1k usd you can get a great computer that will last many years. The antec earthwatts are manufactured by seasonic so it's a high quality psu.

You mean holding it beneath 50% of its potential and really showing crippling performance?
    No, it would not. It would be a bottleneck in dual GPU-configuration, but it would not be bottlenecked by a 3.0GHz C2D in a mostly GPU-bound game, even though it's more stressing on the CPU than most of those.

a 3 ghz wolfdale (E8400) is still faster than anything AMD can offer......... if the OP fancies spending money on the CPU then a yorksdale (say a Q9550 or 9650) would be an upgrade

The E8400 is actually faster than some of the lower clocked core2quads. It really is a beast of a processor.

Deleted
    Alright guys, thank you very much for your feedback.. I think I will scratch some money together for a new computer that will last a couple of years

Deleted
    I had that excact same CPU and even though it was fast, it would have become a bottleneck for my GTX 560 Ti - so I got the i5 2500k - never regretted it

Quote Originally Posted by Munkens View Post
    Alright guys, thank you very much for your feedback.. I think I will scratch some money together for a new computer that will last a couple of years
    That would be an unwise decision, in my opinion. The GPU is the one that needs to be replaced. The C2D series starting at 3GHz and above are all decent.
    You won't need much more for gaming, except in Wow, perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracus View Post
    I had that excact same CPU and even though it was fast, it would have become a bottleneck for my GTX 560 Ti - so I got the i5 2500k - never regretted it
    How would a GTX 560 Ti in any way, shape or form bottleneck a C2D? O.o
    It is impossible. It cannot be done.
    If you got the GTX 560 Ti for Wow performance, sure. In actual games? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkens View Post

just get a faster video card you`ll be fine