Trion Worlds licenses CloakWorks cloth simulation tech

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06...mulation-tech/

lol why have just any cloaks when you can invent some new stuff and get rich selling the technology to your competitors <---Hustlers Mentality..love this studio!

RIFT players, have you been feeling like the game is missing a certain je ne sais quois? Perhaps the way your cloak flaps in the wind just isn't quite dramatic enough for you. Well, you may just be in luck, as Trion Worlds has just announced that it has licensed CloakWorks' "advanced cloth simulation technology" known as Shroud. RIFT executive producer Scott Hartsman claims that capes are one of the most-requested visual features and states that he's "very happy" with Shroud's results.

The studio hasn't released any previews of the new technology in action, but we'll be sure to keep our eyes peeled for new details as they come. In the meantime, though, why don't you busy yourself by catching up on all the latest news about RIFT's upcoming Storm Legion expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06...mulation-tech/

lol why have just any cloaks when you can invent some new stuff and get rich selling the technology to your competitors <---Hustlers Mentality..love this studio!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Trion is using someone else's tech for cloaks, not their own. It's not the same thing as their Red Door business plan.

Looks like they are setting themselves up nicely The cloak and hair demo I saw from shroud look very impressive too!

@Acquiesce If its an exclusive license they are the only ones allowed to use this someones technology and sell it as long as the someone gets royalities from it. Pretty much bought the technology I guess you could say.
    Last edited by noobstar; 2012-06-13 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noobstar View Post
    Looks like they are setting themselves up nicely The cloak and hair demo I saw from shroud look very impressive too!

@Acquiesce If its an exclusive license they are the only ones allowed to use this someones technology and sell it as long as the someone gets royalities from it. Pretty much bought the technology I guess you could say.
    Which essentially means Trion was the money source for a new tech research firm.

I hope they implement this into the regular cloth armor, as well as some of the longer leather and possibly longer chain armors to use this as well. Although Rift's cloth armor does move better than what I have seen from other mmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Which essentially means Trion was the money source for a new tech research firm.
    It's not an exclusive license. The tech is used in a few other games and it's been around for a bit. I don't think Trion had much (if anything) to do with funding the development of the tech at all.

Cloaks were something I begged trion for in the beta
    I cried a bit when I read there will be cloaks in the X-pac

*tears of joy that is