Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Beat normal, now what ?

Since I'm afk from Cata as it's beyond boring and I met all of my goals, I switched to D3 after not touching it for a while after getting to Belial as a solo Wizard about two weeks ago.

Since then I afk'd from WoW and I tried a Barbarian and in just 2 days I beat the game with it start to finish since it was incredibly fun.

My goal was to beat it solo first since everyone skips the story in coop.

My Barb is 31 with a few pieces of 25+ rare gear, the rest is magical gear around lvl req 17-24.

Should I try Nightmare now in coop ? or continue to find better gear in normal ?

I also took 55+ FPS 1080p max-setting videos of every kill as well, I'm in the middle of uploading them, though YouTube will transcode the videos down to 30fps.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-06-13 at 07:58 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Go to nightmare mode. Really. It starts out at about Act 4 normal level. If you can clear Act4, you can do nightmare easy-peasy. I've nearly cleared nightmare on hardcore myself.

Normal and Nightmare are both pretty easy as a barbarian, you don't need to worry much about upgrades. Things don't really start getting tricky at all till Hell, but gear upgrades will fix most of that.

Go for nightmare, then Hell, then Inferno, you have not beaten the game, you've just cleared what is essentially LFR mode.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried too much about difficulty until Act III/IV in Hell, and even then, you don't really get the same satisfaction from crushing a Champion pack as you do in Inferno. It's damn satisfying.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems the general consensus is that nightmare is barely harder than normal,

So nightmare coop it is, thanks for the input.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-06-13 at 08:40 PM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

So normal coop it is, thanks for the input.
    Yes. Act 1 takes off where act 4 left off in difficulty. And then it gets progressively harder.

Deleted

Why not Nightmare co-op? or nightmare solo and then hell co-op, it's not really fun atleast not in my opinion to go through normal mode over and over.. No challange in it, i mean a retarded 70year old with downs can get through normal and nightmare without problems..

I always thought act 1 nm was easier then act 4 normal and you get better drops. The mobs hit about the same in nm act 1 as act 4 normal but they are really basic. Just zombies..skeletons.. etc. Until near the end anyway. In act 4 normal you have to at least deal with the fire breathing demons and other crazy mobs the whole time.

Also, something to keep in mind if you don't know already. Each difficulty adds an affix to champion and elite packs as well. On normal guys will say just have vortex. But on nm they will have vortex + molten. Hell will have 3 then inferno has a ridiculous 4.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-06-13 at 08:40 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Yes. Act 1 takes off where act 4 left off in difficulty. And then it gets progressively harder.
    ---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 04:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Furypie View Post
    Why not Nightmare co-op? or nightmare solo and then hell co-op, it's not really fun atleast not in my opinion to go through normal mode over and over.. No challange in it, i mean a retarded 70year old with downs can get through normal and nightmare without problems..
    I meant to say nightmare, not normal.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-06-13 at 08:43 PM.

If you're concerned about gear just buy some from gold AH. Use the buyout filter too. And when you're nearing level 50 i greatly recommend to get a level 60 weapon with a reduced level requirement.

My recommendation is to keep playing on Nightmare.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be progressing through Nightmare Mode in co-op. That difficulty was not that hard in particular, but it was the time when you actually start dying a bit. If you find one class you enjoy in particular, stick to it for a while and then gear up your alts with your main if you are that kind of person that likes playing different classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    You should be progressing through Nightmare Mode in co-op. That difficulty was not that hard in particular, but it was the time when you actually start dying a bit. If you find one class you enjoy in particular, stick to it for a while and then gear up your alts with your main if you are that kind of person that likes playing different classes.
    That's exactly what I'm doing, and I'm having a blast in Nightmare coop while also recording kills.

I'm satisfied with the Barbarian, I don't think I can ever go back to that Wizard, even though it's the only class I tried in Beta and was my first class in retail.

My kill videos can be viewed here, every video is a first-time kill video, so they're going to be quite sloppy/inefficient.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPaladinGuy/videos

That's exactly what I'm doing, and I'm having a blast in Nightmare coop while also recording kills.

I'm satisfied with the Barbarian, I don't think I can ever go back to that Wizard, even though it's the only class I tried in Beta and was my first class in retail.http://www.youtube.com/user/MrPaladinGuy/videos

Just wait till Inferno... youll go back to that Wizard pretty quickly .

ACT I is/was fine as a Barb. ACT II makes me want to punch a infant in glasses right in the nose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurpdurp View Post

ACT I is/was fine as a Barb. ACT II makes me want to punch a infant in glasses right in the nose.
    I know what you mean now, elite Sand Wasps as a barb, an in coop they have even more health.

I know what you mean now, elite Sand Wasps as a barb, an in coop they have even more health.
    If you're talking about Nightmare, I respectfully don't think you know what he means. The game's basically a huge joke until high Hell/Inferno. The difficult ramp is pretty ridiculous, especially for a melee.

I'm... A little confused as to wether or not this is a serious discussion we're having. Some guy is fraps'ing normal kills like they're special and we're talking about the "difficulty" of Nightmare. The game is ridiculously easy clear through Nightmare and well into Hell. It doesn't even really get "hard" until Act II Inferno. Most of the game is TOO easy. My brother cleared Normal and half of Nightmare before he quit because it presented no challenge and he didn't want to put another 25 hours into the game to get to he point where it did.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

The game difficulty does ramp up pretty steadily norm - nightmare - hell, from what I've seen. Starting hell made me also hit the AH to replace several pieces of gear, and has made things far easier to deal with. I'm sure I'll be doing this again once I hit 60.

And that's what the game is really about.. progress till you hit a wall, sell what you find, buy what you need, progress till you hit a wall, repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celidion View Post
    If you're talking about Nightmare, I respectfully don't think you know what he means. The game's basically a huge joke until high Hell/Inferno. The difficult ramp is pretty ridiculous, especially for a melee.
    I probably don't, hence the thread asking questions. And nightmare really isn't much more difficult, the big difference I am seeing is since I'm doing coop enemies last much much longer and as a melee running around after elite sand wasps it takes a long time, or I just need to abandon my aoe + heal spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    I'm... A little confused as to wether or not this is a serious discussion we're having. Some guy is fraps'ing normal kills like they're special and we're talking about the "difficulty" of Nightmare. The game is ridiculously easy clear through Nightmare and well into Hell. It doesn't even really get "hard" until Act II Inferno. Most of the game is TOO easy. My brother cleared Normal and half of Nightmare before he quit because it presented no challenge and he didn't want to put another 25 hours into the game to get to he point where it did.
    You seem a little trollish, but for the sake of conversation I'll respond.

Fraps wasn't the point of the thread, in fact... it clearly wasn't the point, I just mentioned that I'm recording all of my first kills simply because I can, you made an assumption about myself feeling "special". Also, I only had normal kill videos as I was still on normal, which infers as I progress I'll have videos of nightmare/hell/inferno, then eventually efficient kill videos instead of the sloppy first time kill videos. But most importantly, I make them because I can.

So, using your own logic, you're bragging that your brother is in a way too good to play 25 more hours to get to a challenging point and that everyone else should be exactly like him.

A game's difficulty is entirely relative to the person playing it, I'm not having that much difficulty with nightmare, with the exception of elite Sand Wasp packs taking a long time to kill in coop. I didn't know much about the different difficulties, hence the thread asking what to do next, I wasn't sure if I should farm gear for nightmare or just jump in.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The game difficulty does ramp up pretty steadily norm - nightmare - hell, from what I've seen. Starting hell made me also hit the AH to replace several pieces of gear, and has made things far easier to deal with. I'm sure I'll be doing this again once I hit 60.

And that's what the game is really about.. progress till you hit a wall, sell what you find, buy what you need, progress till you hit a wall, repeat.
    That's what I've been doing, I just replaced my magical 23 gear with mostly 30+ rares,

Though I can't seem to sell my rares, so I've vendored 2 entire pages of them to make room for new ones. According to other people I've lost quite a bit of money since it seems low level rares sell for significantly more and/or quicker than higher level ones, or middle range ones.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2012-06-14 at 05:05 PM.