10+ Year Old Account

Time Taken to Farm Out Mats for 500 Engineering and Enchanting?

I looked up prices to level up professions for my new mage and there's no way I can afford to buy the mats off the AH, so I was wondering, what do you think the time required would be to farm the mats and level up Engineering and Enchanting to 500? I have a 362 Frost DK who is a miner and my best geared 85 is a 381 Arms warrior who also has JC. 310% flying speed and guild perk on both.

Edit: Forgot to mention, in real time, not days taken i.e 5 days of playing.
    Last edited by Freedom; 2012-06-13 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

It is kinda hard to give you a rough estimation to be honest. Engineering could possible be done within 2-3 days depending on how long you take since most of the materials can be farmed on your miner and leather can be bought from the AH.

Enchanting will be the hardest part. However, it depends if you are level 85 already or are starting from level 1. If you are level 85 already good luck levelling enchanting since there is just no way you could do it without major investment in the AH or people on your server. The reason being that most enchanters simply DE drops from quest rewards, dungeons, their own gear, etc while levelling which comes out to a lot over 85 levels and saves a lot in the long run. Even going back to farm dungeons/quests will be really hard unless you have the patience but still would not be as advantageous as starting on a level 1 toon. And secondly, Engineering doesn't have any armour than you can DE while you level that profession. You will mostly be crafting Devices, bombs, toys, etc. So Engineering will not help you to level Enchanting.

Both the times I levelled Enchanting I had a crafting profession that helped me a great deal. I had Tailoring on my Mage and JC on my Paladin. I simply DE all the gear/rings I crafted and with the guild perk ended up with more than enough mats to level Enchanting.

Or what you could do but I don't really know how much you will save with this method; Farm a ton of ores and prospect them for gems. Craft them into rings on your JC and keep DE them till you have enough dusts to level Enchanting till 300. JC does not have many rings/necklaces you can craft after 300 so you may have to rely on the AH from then on. However, it could be a bit tedious farming all that ore so you will have to weigh the pros and cons.

Would also help if you can provide more information on your new mage. Like what level is he/she? How much gold do you have?

10+ Year Old Account
    Level 78 right now, and I have 9k gold on the server, but I would prefer to spend as little as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Level 78 right now, and I have 9k gold on the server, but I would prefer to spend as little as possible.
    Yea that is what I feared. You are too high a level to get much done for Enchanting. Like imagine if you had taken Enchanting at level 6, you probably would have collected a decent stash of enchanting mats along the way to 78 which would have helped a great deal.

I don't really see what you can do, since besides splurging on the AH, going back to farm the older dungeons is kinda moot since even the greens that drop from trash will not cover for much. Almost 70% of your mats come from DE quest rewards in the open world and in dungeons.

I then recommend following what I said here. "Or what you could do but I don't really know how much you will save with this method; Farm a ton of ores and prospect them for gems. Craft them into rings on your JC and keep DE them till you have enough dusts to level Enchanting till 300. JC does not have many rings/necklaces you can craft after 300 so you may have to rely on the AH from then on. However, it could be a bit tedious farming all that ore so you will have to weigh the pros and cons. "

Engineering should definitely not be a problem at all, I don't see why it would otherwise. But Enchanting with Tailoring is one of those professions that does not have a related gathering profession which makes it even harder. Lemme know what you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I will just make a second Alchemist. Thanks for your help.

Hmm, it's gonna be really long, i can tell you that... you might be better off leveling a tank/healer though dungeons and send all mats to your main rather then farming it on your high level, not too sure though. But leveling enchanting is a real PITA if you're gonna farm the mats from dungeon disenchants I'm afraid. :/ You can always do low level quests on your char which you wanna level enchanting on. Alot of them reward greenies now and you might get some boes even. This will probably work best in outlands and up ofcourse.

Engineering takes some time aswell. But it's not too bad, I have engineering on my druid and rogue and its easier to level then JC is, it still takes some time though. I think you're looking at about 10 hours of farming for engineering, not sure at all though, don't shoot me if I'm wrong. Since you only want 500 that leaves out the hardest part though.

Another alternative would be to just go back and do all the quests you skipped while leveling. You can breeze through them quickly at a high level and you should end up with enough mats to level enchanting from the quest rewards and drops.

Deleted
    You have the wrong approach.

1. Get a leveling guide and study it.
    2. How long it takes will depend how much effort you are prepared to put in, how much money you wnat to throw at the problem, how many friends can help and a bit of luck/ creativity. The fatser you wnat to do it the more gold or effort will be required.
    3. study the guide and break ot down into 20 steps. The guild will do that for you.
    4. work out how much money you cam make per hour on the most profitable and relauble things you do, it may be quests, dailies, instances, farming or professions.
    5. Check the ah and work out if the mats are available for the next step and whether buying them off the ah is cheaper or more expensive than the gold per hour you cna make. If its cheaper than the gold per hour you cna make then go make gold and buy from the ah. Making gold from quests is cash in hand and old from the ah is no guarantee your goods will sell.
    6. If the ah is too expensive or lacking items then use wow head to discover the cheapest way of getting mats. Do not forget that enchanters can de.
    7.The mining I would mine as I go along because you get experience.
    8. I would wait till 85 for the leveling of professions as you cna farm more efficiently then.
    9. Use your guild bank and assistance of guildies to provide old mats.
    10. Do not underestimate the utility of getting crafters to make you items and then deing them for the results.

Planning, preparation and understanding the task in hand will ensure maximum efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by shandala View Post
    Another alternative would be to just go back and do all the quests you skipped while leveling. You can breeze through them quickly at a high level and you should end up with enough mats to level enchanting from the quest rewards and drops.
    Agree with this. I even think it is the easiest way.

Deleted
    I just levelled up an druid bear as an enchanter and engineer. I had a miner alt as support. The engineering was painless (Jeeves was the most demanding part). Enchanting seemed intimidatingly expensive, but that was because I was always trying to level the profession ahead of my character. I reckon if I had been patient and finished levelling before finishing enchanting, I would have got most of the mats from my own DEing my levelling gear. As it was, I spent thousands of gold on enchanting mats (esp. cata ones) but now am sitting on a stockpile of enchanting mats almost equal to what I bought.

For what it's worth, I think enchanting is a fantastic "support" profession to have on an alt but engineering seems rather pointless. It seems mainly "cool" things that would be neat on your main, but I did not engage with on an alt. (Building a turbo flying machine before I truly appreciated the beauty of flight form was particularly daft.)