Thread: On the fence

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    I think it was just the questing. While the quests in and of themselves were fine, Ive just done so much effing questing in my MMO lifetime. It made me sad that you couldnt level thru pvp alone, which may have swayed me.

The game itself is fine, tho a bit buggy (thru no fault of anet, the game still is in beta), the dodge mechanic seemed like it was tacked on, especially since attacks arent like the stuff in Tera.

Again nothing really against the game, just a burned out MMO'er that set his hopes too high, or was hoping to relive the glory days with rose colored glasses.
    No problem. That's all fair criticism I feel.

Though I think you can level through PVP quite easily. Someone made it to level 80. If I heard correctly, he mostly PVP'd the rest of the way. Also I know from my own WvW experience that I dinged about 2 levels just grabbing SPCs in WvW. The mobs give the highest XP outside of dungeons, iirc.

So I think you are mistaken on the level via PVP thing. At least in part.

Deleted
    People seem to forget. WoW changed for the worst BECAUSE of listening to their players too much.

We want Quicker dungeons! - LFG Tool
    We want LFG Tool for raiding - LFR Tool
    We want fatsr BG's! - X-Realm BG's.

The zombie event during pre-wrath was one of the most fun and original things I've ever seen devs do in an MMO. And the bastard polayers ruined it by crying too much. Now blizzard wont even try again. We killed WoW for ourselves, and yet we blame them for listening to us. So messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsforDinner View Post
    People seem to forget. WoW changed for the worst BECAUSE of listening to their players too much.

The zombie event during pre-wrath was one of the most fun and original things I've ever seen devs do in an MMO. And the bastard polayers ruined it by crying too much. Now blizzard wont even try again. We killed WoW for ourselves, and yet we blame them for listening to us. So messed up.
    God forbid developers care about what their playerbase wants.

There is nothing wrong with LFR and xrealms. I play WoW since 2006 and even though it was fun sometimes to do that one AV for hours/days, wasting almost an hour spamming lfg/trade just to have someone leave half way through dungeon, and we're back to spamming again or asking everyone in a friend list is not. Everything you complain was more than needed.

Most of us don't want to waste most of their time NOT playing the game, especially nowdays with so many good games... i could spend my time elsewhere.

Anet is hopefully not stupid enough to listen to every baby that cries loud enough though.

WoW has definitely developed into a better game over the past six-seven years when it was released. But is it as fun as it was? Not to me anymore, at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demidov View Post
    WoW has definitely developed into a better game over the past six-seven years when it was released. But is it as fun as it was? Not to me anymore, at least.
    Stagnation. Most of the 'improvements' have been very half hearted, in my opinion. Updating the original content was a nice touch, but the developers did so in a way that made everything very linear and gimmicky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    God forbid developers care about what their playerbase wants.
    The problem is that the playerbase doesn't know what's best for it. They just want things faster, easier, quicker, with no idea of how getting those things would affect their gameplay.

They listen very well too the community except on 2 issues which I still cant fully understand thier reluctance considering how many people are asking for these 2 features.

#1 Player too Player Trading. Im sorry but I found constantly having to send an email just to trade an item to someone whos 2 feet away from me obnoxious. But ill get over it.

#2 Observer mode for PvP. Im really surprized how candide ANET is being about the subject. basically in one of thier recent Q/A sessions they said they will wait till launch and if enough people want observer mode they will consider it. Seriously I dont think theres a single person who doesnt want observer mode for sPvP and would be amazing for WvW PvP.

Its really unusual because thusfar ANET has made fast changes to the game based on community feedback. faster then any other MMO company with the exception of these 2 features that seem to pop up alot on the beta forums.

I honestly think its 1 of 2 things eather someone is being really stubburn, or the game engine they are working with cant support eather feature. too be completly honest I think its the later. I think the game engine may have some flaws that wont allow P2P trading and or observer mode. considering the potential this game has to be an Esport maybe one of the only MMO's that can really grab that corner of the market but yet no observer mode. and no P2P trading is a annoyance.

But with the exeception of these 2 things ANET does listen very well to the community and have designed an amazing MMO I love GW2

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 12:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsforDinner View Post

So wait they added features that people wanted used and enjoyed and that ruined the game hmmm. If any of these features ruined the game and people didnt like them, people wouldnt be using them all the time, your comment makes no sence.

I loved the LFG tool. I went from running maybe 1 or 2 dungeons a day because of standing around Org for hrs forming and reforming groups if someone bailed. to being able to run up too 5-8 dungeons a day. same can be said about BG's I went from hardly playing to playing alot. Now I cant speak for LFR tool because WoW got boring for me shortly after Cata. But i got 6 solid years from WoW and LFD tool was an amazing addition. I met alot of new friends with that tool and it allowed me to play the game more frequently.

Maybe you played a tank or something because as a DPS it sucked standing around for over an hr trying to form up a group.

Those features didnt ruin the game. Making the game super easymode and the guildperk system is what runed the game for most who left. smaller guilds couldnt compete with mega guilds offering wicked cool flying mounts.
    Last edited by Hellspawnxxx; 2012-06-18 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    They listen very well too the community except on 2 issues which I still cant fully understand thier reluctance considering how many people are asking for these 2 features.

#1 Player too Player Trading. Im sorry but I found constantly having to send an email just to trade an item to someone whos 2 feet away from me obnoxious. But ill get over it.

#2 Observer mode for PvP. Im really surprized how candide ANET is being about the subject. basically in one of thier recent Q/A sessions they said they will wait till launch and if enough people want observer mode they will consider it. Seriously I dont think theres a single person who doesnt want observer mode for sPvP and would be amazing for WvW PvP.

Its really unusual because thusfar ANET has made fast changes to the game based on community feedback. faster then any other MMO company with the exception of these 2 features that seem to pop up alot on the beta forums.

I honestly think its 1 of 2 things eather someone is being really stubburn, or the game engine they are working with cant support eather feature. too be completly honest I think its the later. I think the game engine may have some flaws that wont allow P2P trading and or observer mode. considering the potential this game has to be an Esport maybe one of the only MMO's that can really grab that corner of the market but yet no observer mode. and no P2P trading is a annoyance.

But with the exeception of these 2 things ANET does listen very well to the community and have designed an amazing MMO I love GW2
    It's all about priorities. Anet has a lot of things to correct and are working on getting them fixed/added for the release announcement. New features come secondary to getting the game ready. Of course if enough players mention to Anet about these things, the more clout there will be to get these into the priority higher to placing them into the game.

To me, the highest priority is some form of /follow system. But that's just me and doesn't reflect most players. To me, by having an automatic follow system, the game is opened to a higher number of players. I can explain what I mean if anyone is interested. Some other players that don't like it will complain and threaten not to purchase/play the game if it has such a system is implemented. Most of them will play any way. Other players don't care either way.

It really comes down to understanding the types of players in the game and how many players the company wants to appeal to. The more features in the game that are not a perceived detriment to the player base, the better the game has to be played long term for many years. One only needs to look at the top MMORPG of all time (to date) and see that it has just about everything in it that appeals to many players. Sure there are many that complain and the company adjusts accordingly which isn't always a good thing. Many believe that if they get enough players interested in their "idea" for something in the game that the company will make an adjustment so there are many players that spend time in trying to convince others of a feature or idea to change the game play to match their style. Just my like auto follow suggestion

I agree that both of your 2 issues should be included in the game. They are things that will make the game much more fun. An observer mode means that no streaming set up is needed for players to stream their game play some where else. It may also cut down on the number of recorded videos that players place on youtube. But the largest benefit is that it gives a sense of confidence that the game play is on valid servers and not edited. Many videos on youtube are fixed and not real or edited to include only what the poster wants the audience to see. Given that both of the features were in Guild Wars, it would make sense to include them into Guild Wars 2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever understand exactly why people dislike the mail system so much. Just off the top of my head, I can name two huge flaws with the "traditional" trading system, both of them tying into a single argument - waste of time.

First, both participants in a transaction need to stand still (or rather, stay within a very short range of each other), meaning neither of them can move on to the next bit o' fun in the game.

Secondly, both participants need to press a confirm button, and if anything changes in the window (such as one participant adding 1g as payment) it resets the confirmed state for both, which participants may not immediately notice, thus taking even more time.

Both of these are fixed with the mailing system. Want to send something to your friend, hit the auto-run button, right click the item, choose to mail it, fill in the name, send, all done. Takes less than 5 seconds (this was admittedly timed with my friend using a six-letter name). Compared to asking my friend to stop moving, right-clicking her portrait, choosing to trade, put the item in the trade window, hitting confirm, waiting for her to hit confirm, then moving on... I don't see why anyone would want the old way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever understand exactly why people dislike the mail system so much. Just off the top of my head, I can name two huge flaws with the "traditional" trading system, both of them tying into a single argument - waste of time.

First, both participants in a transaction need to stand still (or rather, stay within a very short range of each other), meaning neither of them can move on to the next bit o' fun in the game.

Secondly, both participants need to press a confirm button, and if anything changes in the window (such as one participant adding 1g as payment) it resets the confirmed state for both, which participants may not immediately notice, thus taking even more time.

Both of these are fixed with the mailing system. Want to send something to your friend, hit the auto-run button, right click the item, choose to mail it, fill in the name, send, all done. Takes less than 5 seconds (this was admittedly timed with my friend using a six-letter name). Compared to asking my friend to stop moving, right-clicking her portrait, choosing to trade, put the item in the trade window, hitting confirm, waiting for her to hit confirm, then moving on... I don't see why anyone would want the old way.
    Why not have both systems? Leave the mail system the way it is but also allow player-to-player trade windows? I don't think anyone that wants the trade window option is saying to remove the current system.

I would wait for open beta , it's an interesting game but not for everyone and if you are already iffy paying 50$ to try a unfinished product won't give you a good first impressions as some of the stuff in the CB is just .. well beta =d

Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    I would wait for open beta , it's an interesting game but not for everyone and if you are already iffy paying 50$ to try a unfinished product won't give you a good first impressions as some of the stuff in the CB is just .. well beta =d
    ^ Only quoting this guy because he posted awesome... erm, ly.

I find it funny because i started this thread, was convinced to pre-purchase by page 3 (do not regret), and then the thread exploded into a debate (just like any other thread).

WoW and guild wars can coexist and have coexisted for many years. Get over it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    I find it funny because i started this thread, was convinced to pre-purchase by page 3 (do not regret), and then the thread exploded into a debate (just like any other thread).

WoW and guild wars can coexist and have coexisted for many years. Get over it!!!!
    With all due respect, your initial post gave the indication that you were looking for something instead of WoW not coexist with it:

"Ive been a mmo player for years. I played wow until boredom and beyond. Everything i seem to try has left me disappointed. More recently being ToR and Diablo 3. I dont know much about guild wars but i started watching videos and a can't seem to stop. I think I may have found my next gaming love. "

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared View Post
    With all due respect, your initial post gave the indication that you were looking for something instead of WoW not coexist with it:

"Ive been a mmo player for years. I played wow until boredom and beyond. Everything i seem to try has left me disappointed. More recently being ToR and Diablo 3. I dont know much about guild wars but i started watching videos and a can't seem to stop. I think I may have found my next gaming love. "
    But that doesn't mean he wants WoW to end, or that he wants to start a debate over it, he just wanted an opinion on GW2.

With regards to Observer/Trading...the game engine should support both, since GW1 had them both. But as Prepared said, it's a matter of priorities. Trade removal was a conscious decision to reduce the amount of scams that occur, as they were fairly prolific in GW1. Observer will likely be returned, but I'm sure there are other systems that need to be polished before they attack that.

With regards to follow...well, frankly, there's no good reason for it to exist, and there are several reasons for it not to exist. Sure, there's little difference between someone AFK at a single spot vs afk following someone, except it's easier to tell with the former. I think we all know, Prepared, that the main/only reason you want /follow is for multi-boxing, but it's one of those things you'll have to adapt to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.