Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

[Megathread] Smite

Smite is a new 3rd person Moba game its quite interesting and very fast past/fun its currently in closed beta, and the beta is quite small but is getting bigger its amazing how a change of perspective can change the game. Please if you are currently playing the game tell me of your experiences =)

Oh I forgot to mention that they use all different Pantheon of gods against eacthother for the lore of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I7kDcRdM2Q
    here is a game play video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Moba
    I think we had enough of these in the last few years, Especially after the return of Dota.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    I think we had enough of these in the last few years, Especially after the return of Dota.
    Did you even watch the game play video even though its a moba game style game, its a completely different way of playing just by changing the camera view infact I would barely even call it a moba game. It is almost nothing like Dota/Hon/LoL aside from map structure.

I can make assumptions before actually watching gameplay too -_-

OP: My friend recently go into the beta and has been RAVING about it. I myself signed up 2 days ago and hope to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post

OP: My friend recently go into the beta and has been RAVING about it. I myself signed up 2 days ago and hope to give it a try.
    I was quite suprised it is pretty good aside from a few balancing issues the game has GREAT potiental, such a good idea. the only real problem with it is lack of players in the beta tbh and it would be sad to see such a good game go unnoticed after it goes live.

After playing it for a solid week I can say it is very fun but obviously has some serious balance issues as it is still in beta. The game play is very refreshing but it definitely follows a league of legends style much more than any other moba.

The only thing that bothers me currently is the way the phoenix (inhibitor) respawns, because it respawns at such low health you have to baby the lane even after it comes back up till every buffed minion is cleared. Ones that is done you can resume pushing other lanes.

Wow that actually looks really interesting. Have they said how they're going to make money (Sell champs?).

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    looks like every other dota clone out there *shrug*

that said its not my kind of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post

A real friend would let you try his beta.

I love the gameplay, but that is not lore. It's pure theft, and a theft badly implemented, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larath View Post
    looks like every other dota clone out there *shrug*

that said its not my kind of game.
    Calling this game a DotA clone is like calling the Game of Thrones a LoTR clone...
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I've been in the beta for about 5 days. I love this game.

The only balance issues im noticing are ones insued by the lack of build knowledge and map awarness. Well there is one obvs op champ but its usually countered by the fotm scubbys that lock him.

The 3rd person perspective brings a more action packed yet more focused feel to the team fights and lane duels. All abilities are easy to see and the graphics are refined but great on the eyes.

On top of the solidified foundation that Hi Rez has put in place for a great MOBA, the art style is polished and the lore of the pantheons with the aesthetics of each God really just throws the cherry on top.

After 2 days of beta I dropped 20 bucks to buy the game flat out for when it launches. I won't name names but Smite easily trumps handfuls of "triple A" titles that have come out as of late, for a 3rd of the price as well.

Can't wait to see Smite at launch. It's gunna be something.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxolem View Post
    Wow that actually looks really interesting. Have they said how they're going to make money (Sell champs?).
    The in game real money currency is known as gems. Gems can be used to purcahse nearly everything to my knowledge.

For once I agree with you 100%.

I mean, don't get me wrong- if given the chance I'd love to work on a Moba-like myself, but get real. There's no room for 'new mobas'. All the games trying it (Smite, Realm of Titans, Bloodline Champions, etc...) are really just asking for a financial flop. You already have League of Legends literally sucking up every casual player in the world, and then here comes Dota 2 to shove it's giant manhood up the anus of the competitive scene.

Every other moba is just 'every other moba'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    A real friend would let you try his beta.
    He can try it whenever he has the time.

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 11:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    For once I agree with you 100%.

I mean, don't get me wrong- if given the chance I'd love to work on a Moba-like myself, but get real. There's no room for 'new mobas'. All the games trying it (Smite, Realm of Titans, Bloodline Champions, etc...) are really just asking for a financial flop. You already have League of Legends literally sucking up every casual player in the world, and then here comes Dota 2 to shove it's giant manhood up the anus of the competitive scene.

Every other moba is just 'every other moba'.

When you call a game like Smite a MOBA game, it tacs on a lot of false association, not because you're incorrect with that label but because of the glaring similarities of most MOBA's. The control scheme and gameplay is completely different in Smite and in my opinion is a real step forward in game design for the genre.

Good to see alot of "good reviews on the game", but I think alot of people see the word moba and instantly think dota/LoL and are not even giving this game a chance because of it, mean while this game is completely different and a lot of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fartman69 View Post
    Good to see alot of "good reviews on the game", but I think alot of people see the word moba and instantly think dota/LoL and are not even giving this game a chance because of it, mean while this game is completely different and a lot of fun.
    The way I'd explain the game in a nut shell is MOBA objectives (lanes, jungle, kill enemy base) with 100% skill based 3rd person (pretty much exact same controls as WoW) combat. Every basic attack is aimed, every skill is aimed.

We've had quite plenty of these on the right side of the picture in last few years and no one seems to mind.

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

This game is really fun, it's like LoL except everything is a skill shot (even auto attacks) meaning there are a lot more interesting tactics that come into play. I would go as far as to say that this is a next generation MOBA game. For people who want to give it a try here are two beta keys

F13B2-E98E3-28954-AEA9E-3B7AA
    F13E1-7831B-F35F4-B7D88-57EF3
    Last edited by bleakeh; 2012-06-16 at 05:06 AM.

Deleted
    Seems like a nice idea but I prefer the camera angle of the other moba games over this. Seems like [insert any MMORPG here] in a moba map. Might give it a try when it comes to open beta and see if it's any good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bleakeh View Post
    This game is really fun, it's like LoL except everything is a skill shot (even auto attacks) meaning there are a lot more interesting tactics that come into play. I would go as far as to say that this is a next generation MOBA game. For people who want to give it a try here are two beta keys

F13B2-E98E3-28954-AEA9E-3B7AA
    F13E1-7831B-F35F4-B7D88-57EF3

Thank you very much for the beta key. Will use it correctly I assure you. Looks interesting as an overall.

EDIT: Also for anyone who doesn't know I just found out when you get into beta, you get 3 more keys for whoever you want to give them too.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2012-06-16 at 07:50 AM.
    Hey everyone