Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you could "HBO" or "Rocksteady" any existing franchise, what would it be?

And by the act of "HBOing" I mean taking an existing book or old franchise and turning it into a qualty show.

I think Dragonlance (not the expanded universe, just the original 3 chronicles) could be something special if given the GOT/LOTR treatment.

The Jon Shannow series by David Gemmel would be great, a mishmash of western/fallout with a supernatural theme. It already draws heavily from Shane and Pale Rider.

Also, Journey to the West would be fantastic. It's been done a few times in the East, but an updated retelling in English is overdue, though not to sure how it would be accepted in the States as old dubbed NTV series from the '79+ was more of a commonwealth thing so maybe some of the Canucks will recall it.

Interested to hear what other people have been dreaming of.

the Eragon series i would love HBO forever if they did this

yes im aware the first one was made into a film, but it was rubbish and missed 99% of the story

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably either the Cthulu mythos, Discworld, or wheel of time.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Not neccessarily a book, but i would love if the elder scrolls series had it's own TV show based on the lore.
    I don't read many actual books, sorry :/
    edit: noticed it can be any franchise, well then, i stand by what i said then, even if its not an old franchise, it is a pretty large one. xD

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I watched Hogfather; I think it was the wrong story choice to bring Discworld to the screen and it didn't really "pop". Oh wait - Good Omens just screams Tim Burton.

A Cthulu by Gaslight period piece would be great. with a real "Nightmare Creatures" atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    And by the act of "HBOing" I mean taking an existing book or old franchise and turning it into a qualty show.

I think Dragonlance (not the expanded universe, just the original 3 chronicles) could be something special if given the GOT/LOTR treatment.

The Jon Shannow series by David Gemmel would be great, a mishmash of western/fallout with a supernatural theme. It already draws heavily from Shane and Pale Rider.

Also, Journey to the West would be fantastic. It's been done a few times in the East, but an updated retelling in English is overdue, though not to sure how it would be accepted in the States as old dubbed NTV series from the '79+ was more of a commonwealth thing so maybe some of the Canucks will recall it.

Interested to hear what other people have been dreaming of.
    Idk why but I think The Foundation series would be awesome in a TV series. It would be a bit tough to figure out how to do it right but it could be awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    oh the list . . .

Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy (and carrying on through liveship traders, tawny man and rainwilds trillogies for an epic ongoing story)

any and all Gemmel stories, I love how all the Drenai Series interwinds characters in different times of their lives while all being seperate books etc

C'thulu mythos stories...

the mistborn trillogy I've just finished would be good on TV imo....

Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy would be awesome too

Terry Pratchett's Discworld. And because the world is based on real locations (the shades is an area in the back streets of York for example, the rest of the city is pretty much based on 17-1800s London) and the characters are so well described it would make casting and location arrangement perfectly feasible.

Deleted
    I think it would be interesting to see a proper, big-budget, 40 minutes-per-episode adaption of Jack Kerouac's books (not just On the road but all of his autobiographical and semi-autobiographical works, in proper chronological order).

15+ Year Old Account
    The Cryptonomicon/Baroque Cycle story
    One Hundred Years of Solitude
    East of Eden

And, I did not know this but Wikipedia just informed me that American Gods is being produced by HBO! IMDb has it as a 2013 thing.

Deleted
    I would love to see something like Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII or Final Fantasy Tactics converted into a high budget and in-depth show that remains loyal to the original storyline. Ivalice is a setting I've always been fascinated with, yet it is becoming a rarity to see the same sort of intricate, mature stories in more modern RPG's.

Deleted
    American Gods. Which HBO are already working on.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Witcher.

There is a video series out there from years back, but the production isn't that good (I just generaly think Polish productions are quite poor). The actors they picked are fine, I think they'd have a hard time getting a better Geralt but the production itself deserves more imho.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    the Eragon series i would love HBO forever if they did this

yes im aware the first one was made into a film, but it was rubbish and missed 99% of the story
    Having read Eragon I can say it was a one in a dozen book. It was hackneyed and boring. The only reason it was popular because it was written by a kid who desperately needed a creative writing class.

Why don't we bring the Warhammer universe to life?

Or DUNE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time, of course, but I don't think it's possible to turn it into a high quality show. Too much magic. Also, it would be difficult to have the whole concept of "weaving" magic in the show without it looking corny as hell.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Snow Crash certainly deserves some love. It might be hard to translate it all to another medium (since most of the humor is based on text or the narrator), but I guess if talented people do it, it could work.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Snow Crash certainly deserves some love. It might be hard to translate it all to another medium (since most of the humor is based on text or the narrator), but I guess if talented people do it, it could work.
    A lot of what makes Snow Crash great is in the language Stephenson uses. I love in the concert under the freeway underpass scene when he refers to druggies "whose brains had long since melted away in the radiant heat of their own imaginings." Of course, it's also in the way he matches up ancient history with a futuristic plot line.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    ooh I like this thread

I was just thinking last night, as I read WoT, that it would make an awesome Tv series so that would be top of my list.

freaking SANDMAN! Niel Gaiman is already getting American Gods made, hopefully if that takes off they'd make Sandman into a TV series, would be awesome

I agree with Journey to the West needing some love, as epic as the original 'Monkey' series is, they kinda jumped the shark with the later seasons (making the horde into a guy and all...) I'd love if they could make an actual Journey to the west show, with the proper ending, messages etc.

The Dark Tower! oh wait.. that's being made

the Farseer cycle (all of them even if Rain Wilds did bore me a little...) such good books Fitz is a great character.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Cthulu mythos ten times over how did I not think of that!

---------- Post added 2012-06-14 at 03:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Totally agree with this

The Drizzt storyline