10+ Year Old Account

[TV] Tanked VS Fish Tank Kings

as an avid fish fan, i got into watching "Tanked" (on animal planet) last year during their first season. but, little to my dismay, i found their informative parts of the show to be...nowhere. still, its a pretty good show that depicts the challenges of getting massive aquariums built in tight schedules (and in very unusual shapes/designs). then this year we have "Fish Tank Kings" (on NatGeo wild). FTK is much more information-heavy when it comes to actually taking care of fish. although i strongly disagree with the claim last week of "living corals are for experts only". but, the problem with FTK is not in the informational values they give, but in the incredibly over-dramatic "scenes" that just make me want to pelt them with dead fish. i know its mostly the network over-dramatizing it but still...

so, am i the only one that watches these shows? and if not, what do you guys think of each show?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by randomone05 View Post
    as an avid fish fan, i got into watching "Tanked" (on animal planet) last year during their first season. but, little to my dismay, i found their informative parts of the show to be...nowhere. still, its a pretty good show that depicts the challenges of getting massive aquariums built in tight schedules (and in very unusual shapes/designs). then this year we have "Fish Tank Kings" (on NatGeo wild). FTK is much more information-heavy when it comes to actually taking care of fish. although i strongly disagree with the claim last week of "living corals are for experts only". but, the problem with FTK is not in the informational values they give, but in the incredibly over-dramatic "scenes" that just make me want to pelt them with dead fish. i know its mostly the network over-dramatizing it but still...

so, am i the only one that watches these shows? and if not, what do you guys think of each show?
    They are, if you have no experience keeping fish you should never try something so advanced.

I've never watched Fish Tank Kings, but my girlfriend and I will watch Tanked every once in a while, normally when they're having a Tanked marathon and nothing else is on. I like it, although I wouldn't include it in a "Must Watch" list.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    They are, if you have no experience keeping fish you should never try something so advanced.
    you can keep soft corals (aka leathers) with damn near any lighting sources. but my biggest gripe is they should at least explain the basics of coral-keeping on the show. yea, they show all the equipment u need and the cost, but not the hard info you could get from a local fish store. its more of a time/money sink to keep corals. personally, i have the equipment/money to maintain a leather coral right now lol.

another point of FTK (from what i heard after Tanked had caught so much flack for showing/not showing their whole processes, like in the mob experience episode when they dumped a ton of ice into a tank and then tossed the fish in) was to be informative. which it is, to an extent. if they let Francis do his job more instead of saying "this guy is a piece of work" all the time...

I like Tanked better. FTK just didn't grab me. They seem very stiff and the "jokes" they play come off as cocky and d-bagish. They're not funny at all. I watched the Indy race car driver one and I wanted to turn it off half way into the show. 1st of all the tank was nothing to look at. 2nd, The guys on Tanked are much better at designing a cool tank. The way FTK just plunked the race car on top of the coral and that was it just hacked me off. The guys on Tanked would've incorporated more Indy stuff and made it look like part of the TANK instead of a toy that a regular joeshmoe put in.

Not impressed at all and will not watch FTK again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Safhira View Post
    I like Tanked better. FTK just didn't grab me. They seem very stiff and the "jokes" they play come off as cocky and d-bagish. They're not funny at all. I watched the Indy race car driver one and I wanted to turn it off half way into the show. 1st of all the tank was nothing to look at. 2nd, The guys on Tanked are much better at designing a cool tank. The way FTK just plunked the race car on top of the coral and that was it just hacked me off. The guys on Tanked would've incorporated more Indy stuff and made it look like part of the TANK instead of a toy that a regular joeshmoe put in.

Not impressed at all and will not watch FTK again.
    i came into FTK with really high hopes since my co-worker at my local fish store kept going on about it. but im disapoint like you are. now, if they put Bret and Wayde from Tanked and added Francis to their team, GG.