Poll: Have you lost respect for Blizzard? RMAH.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Could you explain in detail how exactly a company is selling "their soul" for greed by introducing this feature? Or are you just trying to be full of pathos and Angst? I mean..they take 15% of the cut. You don't even have the remotest idea what items at what price by how many people will be on there and what amount of money is going to be made.

Hell, maybe nobody uses it and it bombs.
    why are they taking 15%? that seems like a lot. why not give 100% to the person selling?

also a lot of ppl are using it already, bypassing having to work for their progression.

Just as a side note about the 15% cut:

For any one that uses PayPal for business purposes, you'll know that they charge you 1-5% of whatever is made via their services. The % cut is to cover Blizzard's costs of making the transactions possible.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-06-14 at 11:05 AM.

Deleted
    Funny how many people always jump to the defence of a company by saying "well its a business and they want to make money" like thats an excuse for a company to do very questionable and often greedy practices. EA do it all the time and at least a lot of people speak out against them. But hey they are a business and a business wants to make money right? Is the RMAH a greedy practice? Possibly but does it take away from the overall fun of the game is what you really need to ask.

A developer making money really shouldnt be the concern of a gamer/consumer at all. Your primary concern is receiving a quality product that you pay for. So forget whether this is a good business decision and consider whether its a good game design decision or whether it detracts from the game itself. This now becomes a subjective opinion. Personally I dont like pay to win models at all but the Diablo franchise is a bit of a strange beast.

I'd sooner just move on to other games by other developers that are fun to play and reward skill/dedication over the spare cash on my debit card. But hey thats just me and my opinion and Blizzard lose a customer due to their design model (whether it be a good business model or not).
    Last edited by mmoc1b66f0e7ec; 2012-06-14 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Just as a side note about the 15% cut:

For any one that uses PayPal for business purposes, you'll know that they charge you 11-15% of whatever is made via their services. The % cut is to cover Blizzard's costs of making the transactions possible.
    that is rubbish. paypay take 1$ which is on top of the 15%. i've used paypal for a long time for ebay and they DO NOT charge 11%

Quote Originally Posted by Chockolate View Post
    why are they taking 15%? that seems like a lot. why not give 100% to the person selling?
    See the post below yours.

also a lot of ppl are using it already, bypassing having to work for their progression.
    People have always traded with each other in Diablo games, legally or not, ingame items or real-life money. Blizzard has just chosen to provide a legal way to do it that they can monitor.

Again, people could already buy things with gold by just farming easy-kill areas with +% gold gear on. Not sure what the fuss about other people 'not having to work for their progression' is, given that it effects you... how? It's not an MMO, where having the best gear will mean your guild profits on the server that you're based on, it's basically a single/multiplayer game, where your progress means little to the outside world.

Again, if people want to pay their way, let them. I know I'll be putting items on the RMAH for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Again, if people want to pay their way, let them. I know I'll be putting items on the RMAH for sure.
    Just remember that it cost real money to auction items.

When selling things on RMAH you first have to pay a auction fee, this is regardless if you manage to sell the item or not. If you sell the item then Blizzard takes a cut from that. Then if you want to transfer your money to a paypal account Blizzard will charge you for that and paypal will charge you $1.

People who think the RMAH did not effect the way this game was made, and how Blizzard tunes drop rates/gear in this game needs a reality check. Why do you think Blizzard keeps nerfing any and all spots that people find to either farm gold or gear?

The answer is simple; they want you to feel like the only way to get the best of gear is to resort to the RMAH. They want you to be frustrated, they want you to feel like that if you don't use the RMAH it is going to take you HOURS AND HOURS! of time to get the drops you need.

Make no mistake about it, Blizzard has been very intentional in everything they have done to this game and it has all revolved around the AH. They can feed us the BS of them completing the game without the AH all they want, but the reason for all these nerfs and design choices was for the sole purpose of encouraging people to feel like the path of least resistance is through the AH.

The thing is, most people on this forum would be relatively keen gamers and likely would be profiting from the RMAH. A lot of the ppl who play Blizz games are casual and prob not even aware of these forums and aren't going to make any money playing d3, so they are the suckers who fork out cash for items. To me that cheapens the game when you have ppl who play casually and have limited skill in the best gear.

I also think when PVP comes out it will be the ppl with gear who have an advantage, without earning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Just remember that it cost real money to auction items.

When selling things on RMAH you first have to pay a auction fee, this is regardless if you manage to sell the item or not. If you sell the item then Blizzard takes a cut from that. Then if you want to transfer your money to a paypal account Blizzard will charge you for that and paypal will charge you $1.
    Wrong. The $1 fee only applies to items that are sold.

People's ability to interpret these days is pathetic.

that is rubbish. paypay take 1$ which is on top of the 15%. i've used paypal for a long time for ebay and they DO NOT charge 11%
    Ah, my mistake, should be 1-5%.

I chose not to buy Diablo 3 simply because i don't like the design decision to include a real money auction house. I have never played Diablo 2 so it is in no way of of nostalgic reason. I just don't like the idea of people being able to buy the best gear in the game for real money, or in-game money. In my opinion all the best gear (legendary's atleast) should be bound to your ACCOUNT so you could freely use it on any of your chars, but not to sell to other people. But having RMAH is only one of the reasons i am not buying Diablo 3 including their horrible DRM where you have to be online all the time.

I guess Torchlight 2 just looks more like a game for me.

Deleted
    The thing is, most people on this forum would be relatively keen gamers and likely would be profiting from the RMAH. A lot of the ppl who play Blizz games are casual and prob not even aware of these forums and aren't going to make any money playing d3, so they are the suckers who fork out cash for items. To me that cheapens the game when you have ppl who play casually and have limited skill in the best gear.

I also think when PVP comes out it will be the ppl with gear who have an advantage, without earning it.
    No they don't. They can pay with in-game currency instead. And your average casual player probably isn't the kind of person who's going to go shopping in the AH all the time, regardless of what they're paying with, they'll just farm their gear the conventional way, and use the gold they collect to buy replacements for items that need replacing.

Also, the amount of people misinformed in this thread, it's not even worth having a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Erto View Post
    No they don't. They can pay with in-game currency instead. And your average casual player probably isn't the kind of person who's going to go shopping in the AH all the time, regardless of what they're paying with, they'll just farm their gear the conventional way, and use the gold they collect to buy replacements for items that need replacing.

Also, the amount of people misinformed in this thread, it's not even worth having a discussion.
    I'm sorry we aren't all as informed as you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I chose not to buy Diablo 3 simply because i don't like the design decision to include a real money auction house. I have never played Diablo 2 so it is in no way of of nostalgic reason. I just don't like the idea of people being able to buy the best gear in the game for real money, or in-game money. In my opinion all the best gear (legendary's atleast) should be bound to your ACCOUNT so you could freely use it on any of your chars, but not to sell to other people. But having RMAH is only one of the reasons i am not buying Diablo 3 including their horrible DRM where you have to be online all the time.

I guess Torchlight 2 just looks more like a game for me.
    ^This

This is where your decision, as being both a gamer and a consumer should start and end. Not being concerned with how much Blizzard are likely to make from the RMAH then high-fiving them for a brilliant business model.

And yes, clearly the game was designed around the AH instead of the AH complementing the gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    So you guys think it's cool Blizzard sells gold in their game?
    I am completely fine with Blizzard selling gold in a game like D3, where the focus is on improving your own character in a generally uncontested game.

It's completely different from selling gold in WoW or selling some sort of power-perks in SC2.
    None of which will ever happen.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    I'm sorry we aren't all as informed as you.
    You not even slightly informed. That's the problem

The amount of fail in this thread makes up for a whole forum.

People, PLEASE, if you dont have correct information on the discussed topic, please dont spread your assumptions.
    Others will take em as granted, and make fools out of theirselves presenting them elsewhere.

I can't help but laugh at the people complaining about RMAH.

I imagine they are the same people that complain about Gold Sellers and Powerleveling services.

Blizzard attempts to make a safe environment in a non competitive game for people to trade their own earnt goods and cash so that:

- Gold sellers cannot compromise peoples accounts, make money off of their game without permission and spam the fuck out of the chat channels (unfortunately they are still doing the latter but hopefully with RMAH release they won't)
    -Players wishing to purchase items to get a boost and to keep up with friends without a time commitment can do so - and they are buying off of other players, who have done the work - not just an imaginary store.

This service is less intrusive than even vanity micro transactions. Some people are crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

so i guess for me a good analogy is: the government sells drugs because it stops dealers selling. it is still not good for the community and they are getting a 15% cut.