10+ Year Old Account

New graphics card trouble!

Alright, so I recently bought a brand new Twin Frozr III Radeon 7850, and 6 more gigs of RAM. The RAM went in fine (obviously, RAM isn't hard to install). Anyway, so I turn off my comp, pop open my case, take out my old Radeon 5970, and realize that I have no way of plugging in my new GPU into my PSU. All of the wires that go into my PSU seem to be fused into one block (Pic below)
    http://i.imgur.com/7O1FZ.jpg

So as you can see, there isn't really any way that I can plainly spot to remove the old GPU power cables from that block. (I've heard using the old cables on a new one can cause some damage). Is there something I'm missing? Also, this is the back of my PSU and the front of that block:
    http://imgur.com/a/RulGS

One other problem is the cable that came with the GPU. It's quite short, and the part I'm guessing is supposed to go into your PSU doesn't even have the right size slots to go in. Is there supposed to be an adapter for the cable? Even if it did fit, it's too short to even reach my PSU.
    http://i.imgur.com/OY1W3.jpg

tl;dr: cables that came with new GPU don't fit in the PSU and the cable is too short, any solutions to this I'm not seeing?
    Last edited by Baeo; 2012-06-14 at 05:51 PM.

In the last pic you have an adapter that needs 2 molex cables plugged (the point for this is that some PSUs do not have enough 6pin cables for GPU because they used to require only one), your PSU doesnt seem to be modular, so instead of plugging stuff on your PSU you actually plug the cables coming out of your PSU to your GPU, if you understand what Im saying..

Can you tell me which cables were required for your old GPU? Probably two 6pin cables? Or maybe one 6+2pin cable?
    And how about the new one, it needs two 6pin?
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you are saying, lol. My old cables for my 5970 were a 6pin + an 8 pin

And which cables do the new GPU need? Two 6 pin cables? In that case you can just plug in the same cables, but from the second cable only the 6 pin block of the 8pin.
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-06-14 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new 7850 only need one 6 pin (http://i.imgur.com/hLI89.jpg). The old 5970 need the 6 pin, and the 8 pin (http://i.imgur.com/LKfrd.jpg).

In that case you can just use the 6pin.

Btw, out of curiosity, why exactly did you go with the 7850? The 5970 is actually more powerful card, as it has two GPU's in one card, here is a benchmark showing the difference http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/587?vs=549
    (Ofc there are some newer things and more graphics memory in 7850 and it is more quiet and uses less power, but still)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you!

And I went with the 5970, because I'm having some problems with my comp right now where after extended play time, my comp will just freeze, and right afterwards, my GPU feels really hot. So I'm thinking it's starting to get defective and having cooling problems. So I figured I'd get a new GPU that is obviously newer

Deleted
    So you essentially bought a Toyota after you suspected that your Ferrari was starting to have problems?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel a bit let down now, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baeo View Post
    I feel a bit let down now, lol
    If your motherboard allows it you could get another 7850 later and go with crossfire.
    Did the freezing disappear with the new gpu? What kind of RAM setup you have now btw? (dual channel or tri channel? MHz? How much in how many sticks? :P) Asking this to make sure you actually made an upgrade, if you had for example 1066MHz ram before, and added some RAM with it that could run at 1600MHz they all end up going 1066MHz.
    Last edited by Musta Kyy; 2012-06-14 at 07:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly sure it does not support that

Deleted
    To be fair, you didn't buy a bad card, but personally I'd have made absolutely sure that the 5970 was breaking down because even if it's not exactly new, it's quite a beast. As Dawg said, the problem you're currently having should be solved by just using the 6-pin connector that you used with the old card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really sure why all my games are running much better now if that card isn't as good

Quote Originally Posted by Baeo View Post
    Not really sure why all my games are running much better now if that card isn't as good
    Depending on your PSU, it's quite possible that the 5970 was just too huge of a power draw, which would lead to poor performance, freezing, BSOD, restarts, or the fans spinning up and nothing else happening. Or your PSU suffered a fault (rail or capacitor) and couldn't handle the wattage.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA