Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    That's New Zealand. It's not the case in the US.
    There are a few similarities, but not nearly as many hoops here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    That may be, but I'd be surprised if dogs were responsible for more fatalities, given that there were a grand total of 6 fatal dog attacks on children in the US last year.
    While I haven't checked this years statistics, I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt that.

Heck, I've read of two so far in the last couple weeks. So either your sources are wrong, or those were the only ones that hit big media.

Not only that, but proper gun care gaurantees children wont be harmed. Any time kids get guns, is because the owner is negligent.

Dogs on the other hand, have a possibility to snap at any time. Even the nicest dogs can be vicious with the wrong ear tweak or playful infant.

I'll take a gun any day over a dog, granted I probably wouldn't have children in my home if I owned a gun, or wouldn't own a gun if I had children.

EDIT: This thread shouldn't turn into a gun safety thread, so I'm ending this particular debate here.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-06-14 at 10:40 PM.

If you have your mind set on a .40, and don't have some huge budget, go for one of the Glocks or a USP. If you're willing to drop down to 9mm, up to .45, or switch to a revolver, then that really opens up the possibilities. Can't go wrong with a shotgun, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by warpath2k View Post
    If you really have to post a *what gun thread* do you really think you are mature enough/experianced enough to own a gun? Surely there are shooting clubs where you can discuss this in far greater detail?

I live in the UK so no guns here but If i could own a gun the last place I would look for advice would the off topic of a gaming forum site.

Yeah buy a mini gun no dude will rob you then.
    I'm sorry, I must've slept through the class, or the period of my life where I was supposed to magically learn everything there is about guns. Gotta start somewhere.

Besides, here in the US, we're all about the guns. When the person robbing you has a gun, the old lady crossing the street is packing, you better believe you better get one for yourself. At least he just wants one for home defense! Besides, you don't even really need to FIRE IT...just wave it around, people usually get the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    That's why you make it DEAD CLEAR that they are not to touch the gun under any circumstance (unless of course you take them to the range, in which case, you keep a very close eye on them at all times) under threat of being skinned alive.
    and curious little kiddies always do what the parents say right..no not at all they do the exact opposite

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    While I haven't checked this years statistics, I highly, highly, HIGHLY doubt that.

Heck, I've read of two so far in the last couple weeks. So either your sources are wrong, or those were the only ones that hit big media.
    Yet it's still the owners fault in most cases if something happens. No matter if dog or gun, most of the times the douchebag behind it is to blame.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    That may be, but I'd be surprised if dogs were responsible for more fatalities, given that there were a grand total of 6 fatal dog attacks on children in the US last year.
    Yes, that may be true, but stupidity kills more people than both of those combined, and nobody's outlawing stupidity! :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post

That's what's on wikipedia. Since 2005 there have been 186 fatal dog attacks in the US, of which 109 victims were under 18. I haven't been to dogbiteaggregator.com, but I don't see any reason not to believe the wiki.

Go try out a SIG P226, only handgun I've liked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binxi1 View Post
    and curious little kiddies always do what the parents say right..no not at all they do the exact opposite
    Once they disobey once, skin their ass. Make it clear that you aren't joking. It's what my dad's friend recommended (very avid carrier), and told his kids. They haven't tried their luck (which is good, because I ain't sure what he would do to them)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skamm View Post
    The Smith & Wesson M&P is pretty nice if you want to stay with a handgun. You might want to look at a shotgun though for home defense though.
    This is what I was gonna say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Deleted
    If its for home defense - why the "overkill" ? get a 9mm so youre sure you can handle it - recoil difference between 9mm and .40 or .45 is significant.

And Im more than sure that a 9mm will stop/scare/hurt enough to "protect" your home.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the worst place to ask for suggestions about guns, as you have already noticed Americans are apparently blood thirsty mongrels who cant teach their children gun safety and will shoot anyone regardless of situation.... you know... according to the posts in this thread....

on topic, look into getting a Glock .45, if you are talking about home defense you want something like that, something small with stoping power...
    also i would look into taking concealed carry courses with in your State (weather or not you are going to get the permit) they will teach you how to manage your firearm and over all some general rules when it comes to firearms. Most importantly they will teach you that shooting a person is a last resort (what no one on these forums come close to fucking understanding) and that if you absolutely have to shoot a man, they will tell you what the result of that will be (how much money it will cost to prove self defense).

Other than that, look into a wall safe and a barrel lock (Apparently gun safes dont exist to the rest of the world, clearly if you own a gun your child will shoot him/her self or you... you know.... if you ask general users here...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Yes, that may be true, but stupidity kills more people than both of those combined, and nobody's outlawing stupidity! :-P
    I don't think we should outlaw guns either, especially with the genie out of the bottle for so long. I just don't buy that dogs kill more people than gun accidents, given how few dog fatalities there are compared to how many dogs there are.

15+ Year Old Account
    You might want to check out the Beretta PX4 you can get 40sw(also in 9mm, and 45acp) in full, compact, and sub-compact, but only the full and compact use the rotating barrel. The recoil reduction from the rotating barrel is amazing. Another nice looking and quality gun is a FN FNX 40, but it's only available in fullsize (45acp is available in compact).
    Loser since Feb. 05'

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why .40 cal? Comparatively speaking there are more effective rounds for home defense...especially since carry and/or concealment isn't your primary concern.

Are their other options you can take besides owning a gun? This isn't meant to be an anti-gun statement...just that people often choose to associate with bad people, live in shit neighborhoods and sleep with their windows open when they can live in a much nicer community with less crime for similar rent.

All I'm getting at is that the best home defense starts well before the gun.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-06-14 at 10:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by liothe View Post
    (what no one on these forums come close to fucking understanding)
    That cuts deep man. Of course I would try to not shoot the person first thing, I am not a heartless bastard, but if the situation came down to it...

10+ Year Old Account
    In all honesty OP, a 12ga is better for home defense than any handgun. No penetration, hard to miss and just the sound of racking the slide is enough to make someone shit their pants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by koudbiertje View Post
    What kind of fucked up country requires someone to have a gun to defend his home...
    Not many, but imho countries that restrict guns are doing a disservice to there people and/or are afraid of there people.

Only true, free, liberty loving countries is your answer. Not ones that get bent over by big brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    In all honesty OP, a 12ga is better for home defense than any handgun. No penetration, hard to miss and just the sound of racking the slide is enough to make someone shit their pants.
    Eh, I like having a couple options, just in case. Jammed gun gets real awkward really fast.