Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Notorious Accutane

Have any of you kind folks used this Accutane stuff for cystic acne? I'm strongly considering using it to get rid of this ridiculous acne that I've had for around 13 years. I've heard plenty of horror stories about it, but it seems to me that the worst of the side effects are outliers, aside from dry skin and possibly depression (which I experience off and on already). I'm just stuck on deciding whether the risk is worth not looking horrible every day. Could any of you share some stories about personal use of Accutane, particularly in how effective it was and the side effects you experienced?

10+ Year Old Account
    i used it as a teen. it worked wonders. my acne was gone in about 2 months. but that was also like 14 years ago. I did suffer a bit of depression and dryness. i did not end up with krone's or colitis. speak with your doctor and see if it is right for you.

Deleted
    If you already suffer from depression your doctor should advise against taking medications that may make it worse.

Deleted
    I used it personally for 8 months, it was bad, the dryness is absolutely horrendous, literally, your skin will peel, but, honestly, just ask the doctors for something to combat it, but, on the side effects, I had most I think, I had a hallucination, depression, and dryness and bad muscles, but, it is the best decision I ever made, my acne would flare up after eating even a single chocolate bar, now, I can eat anything I want without that fear.

I really do suggest it, if you're willing to put up with the side effects, it's different for everyone, I suggest it to the extent that I even made an account just to reply to this.

Good luck with it, if you have confidence issue's due to the acne (I personally had the confidence of a snail when I had it) the benefits will outweigh the costs!

I had a friend who used it. He got dry skin really bad to the point that his lips looked constantly chapped and would crack open and bleed profusely at random. But it worked. If you already have some signs of depression though, they might not put you on it. I know it has a risk of causing depression in perfectly normal people. If you're already prone, your risk is much higher.

My oldest brother had really bad acne on his back and face. He was given accutane and he got really depressed and had suicidal thoughts. I would never recommend it to anyone even though some people say it works wonders.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

If you are male, go ahead. However, if you are a fertile female... I don't think doctors even prescribe it to us anymore. That stuff literally destroys the blood-system of the fetus, usually causing miscarriage. Even if you don't have an active sexlife, at least here you are still forced to visit the doctor for pregnancy test at least once a month. Yes, males will get side effects like thin skin and such, but you can usually cope with that. Accutane's bad reputation is mostly about the miscarriage part, but it's still a strong drug and I do recommend trying other things first. For women - unless you are infertile this is your absolute last choice.

Also, don't think this will magically make you acne disappear; yes, it works for a lot of people, but for example, my mother has eaten that stuff on and off for over ten years, and her acne is still there. Accutane does help her for a while, but it doesn't remove it completely and this is far too strong medicine for constant use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephilia View Post
    If you are male, go ahead. However, if you are a fertile female... I don't think doctors even prescribe it to us anymore. That stuff literally destroys the blood-system of the fetus, usually causing miscarriage. Even if you don't have an active sexlife, at least here you are still forced to visit the doctor for pregnancy test at least once a month. Yes, males will get side effects like thin skin and such, but you can usually cope with that. Accutane's bad reputation is mostly about the miscarriage part, but it's still a strong drug and I do recommend trying other things first. For women - unless you are infertile this is your absolute last choice.

Also, don't think this will magically make you acne disappear; yes, it works for a lot of people, but for example, my mother has eaten that stuff on and off for over ten years, and her acne is still there. Accutane does help her for a while, but it doesn't remove it completely and this is far too strong medicine for constant use.
    just to add to this. On the inside of the box there are several depictions of physically disfigured infants. this product destroys child birth. do not take it if you are a woman.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had cystic acne as well. My cysts would reach a diameter measured in centimeters and sometimes I'd get two or three at the same time. My cysts were so bad I still have noticeable pock marks (they look more like freckles, though) I used Accutane and along with dermabrasion (by a dermatologist, not a aesthetician) it fixed my acne completely. I do get the random pimple every now and then but nothing compared to the cysts.

I had depression later on, but I was already in a state of depression when I got on accutane, I just refused to tell my doctor.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    I had a friend who used it. He got dry skin really bad to the point that his lips looked constantly chapped and would crack open and bleed profusely at random. But it worked. If you already have some signs of depression though, they might not put you on it. I know it has a risk of causing depression in perfectly normal people. If you're already prone, your risk is much higher.
    Oh yeah, I had chapped lips the whole time too. My skin was a little dry but I just used lotion for that, even though I was living in Texas at the time, I had no major issues with the dryness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    I had cystic acne as well. My cysts would reach a diameter measured in centimeters and sometimes I'd get two or three at the same time. My cysts were so bad I still have noticeable pock marks (they look more like freckles, though) I used Accutane and along with dermabrasion (by a dermatologist, not a aesthetician) it fixed my acne completely. I do get the random pimple every now and then but nothing compared to the cysts.

I had depression later on, but I was already in a state of depression when I got on accutane, I just refused to tell my doctor.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 04:01 PM ----------

Oh yeah, I had chapped lips the whole time too. My skin was a little dry but I just used lotion for that, even though I was living in Texas at the time, I had no major issues with the dryness.
    i used triple antibiotic on my lips, and behind my ears. i would get tearing on the top of my ear where it meets my head. but keeping things moistened properly helped a whole lot.

Deleted
    I had acne problems as well half a year ago, I tried all sorts of things, grandma's remedies (didn't work), clearasil (didn't work), a cleansing > moisturizing routine (didn't work). Until I stumbled upon this site that took care of my acne, it's called acne.org. I started half a year ago with his kit which contains a cleanser, a moisturizer and a tube of benzyl peroxide.
    The benzyl peroxide worked like a charm, my face was completely acnefree after a week, though there were some side effects at start of this regimen. the first two weeks your face will feel inflamated, and may even start flaking, that's why you should get a good moisturizer to help ease the inflamation and also moisturize your skin enough to prevent it from getting dry, but I was probably using to much bp at first. also your face may become visually dried out after taking a shower or when it's raining outside, these are side effects that eventually dissappear as you continue the regimen.

I'm currently without bp, still waiting on my shipment, which should arrive any time now (if you cut open the tube to get that last bit out, make sure you vacuumclose it every time or the stuff will just dry up). I noticed if I run out of the stuff, my acne returns, so it's not a permanent solution, unless you plan on using it forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    i used triple antibiotic on my lips, and behind my ears. i would get tearing on the top of my ear where it meets my head. but keeping things moistened properly helped a whole lot.
    Whoa, I didn't know it could get so bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used it as a teenager, worked wonders, i have no scarring or any visible evidence acne to this day.

Now it does dry out your skin something fierce. I also had to get blood work done monthly, but it was just a simple procedure that i drove myself to and from.

Added:

I wouldn't call myself overly optimistic but i did not have any preexisting issues with depression, and i did not have any depressive episodes during the use of acutane.
    Last edited by bloodwulf; 2012-06-15 at 08:29 PM.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoa, I didn't know it could get so bad.
    i might be making it sound worse than it was. i also had a terrible addiction to licking my lips. i would get kool-aid smile cause my lips were always so chapped, before ever taking accutane. the behind the ear thing was not like my ear was falling off lol, it was just a small paper cut type wound. but it was due to dryness. i used triple anti-biotic because it kept me from licking my lips. flavored chap stick just made me want to lick my lips more lol. also triple anti-biotic is a healing agent, so it really really helped a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    i might be making it sound worse than it was. i also had a terrible addiction to licking my lips. i would get kool-aid smile cause my lips were always so chapped, before ever taking accutane. the behind the ear thing was not like my ear was falling off lol, it was just a small paper cut type wound. but it was due to dryness. i used triple anti-biotic because it kept me from licking my lips. flavored chap stick just made me want to lick my lips more lol. also triple anti-biotic is a healing agent, so it really really helped a lot.
    I had a pretty funny accident one time I bought chapstick: I accidentally grabbed a new variety of my favorite brand geared towards females, it was glossy. So I bought it and put it on and walked very proudly with my chapstick on all the way to my room until I saw how sparkling my lips looked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iebe View Post
    I had acne problems as well half a year ago, I tried all sorts of things, grandma's remedies (didn't work), clearasil (didn't work), a cleansing > moisturizing routine (didn't work). Until I stumbled upon this site that took care of my acne, it's called acne.org. I started half a year ago with his kit which contains a cleanser, a moisturizer and a tube of benzyl peroxide.
    The benzyl peroxide worked like a charm, my face was completely acnefree after a week, though there were some side effects at start of this regimen. the first two weeks your face will feel inflamated, and may even start flaking, that's why you should get a good moisturizer to help ease the inflamation and also moisturize your skin enough to prevent it from getting dry, but I was probably using to much bp at first. also your face may become visually dried out after taking a shower or when it's raining outside, these are side effects that eventually dissappear as you continue the regimen.

I'm currently without bp, still waiting on my shipment, which should arrive any time now (if you cut open the tube to get that last bit out, make sure you vacuumclose it every time or the stuff will just dry up). I noticed if I run out of the stuff, my acne returns, so it's not a permanent solution, unless you plan on using it forever.
    this is pretty much using a rubbing alcohol on your face. it will indeed tone down the excess build up of oils your skin produces. but i do not believe it will cure hard core acne.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 08:36 PM ----------

I had a pretty funny accident one time I bought chapstick: I accidentally grabbed a new variety of my favorite brand geared towards females, it was glossy. So I bought it and put it on and walked very proudly with my chapstick on all the way to my room until I saw how sparkling my lips looked.
    LMAO!! Awesome! Should have ran to your mom and insisted on her telling you how pretty you were!

10+ Year Old Account
    this is pretty much using a rubbing alcohol on your face. it will indeed tone down the excess build up of oils your skin produces. but i do not believe it will cure hard core acne.[COLOR="red"]
    Yeah, cystic acne is a whole other monster when it comes to acne. Regular acne is a dungeon boss, cystic acne is a raid boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used it and my acne went away completely. I had tried a lot of other stuff like Proactiv, but with no success. The Accutane dried out my face a bit, but nothing a good quality lotion couldn't take care of. My sister used it too, but her process was very strict. She HAD to be on birth control the whole time and for a certain time after I believe. She also had to sign a bunch more paperwork because of that. I would recommend it. For me anyways, it was a life changer.

Accutane is dangerous stuff and is only indicated for the most severe cases. Have you tried a combination of oral antibiotics and topical creams?

Or better yet, go ask your doctor, basing medical decisions off 'personal stories' isn't a great idea.
    Last edited by Sylvre; 2012-06-15 at 10:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvre View Post
    Accutane is dangerous stuff and is only indicated for the most severe cases. Have you tried a combination of oral antibiotics and topical creams?

Or better yet, go ask your doctor, basing medical decisions off 'personal stories' isn't a great idea.
    He has already stated he's got cystic acne.