Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
14
22
... LastLast
  1. #221
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I quite playing a long time ago mainly due to the terrible engine and "screw the EU we're from the US" mentallity.
    Really, I highly doubt they ever adopted this mentality or stated such in an outward fashion. Are things inconvenient for the EU due to the time difference? Sure they are and I sympathize with you guys. What they provided was something that people have been asking for forever in WoW, a singular client that allows EU and US players to play together if they so wish.

    Unfortunately, things just didn't work out with a single client. I wish they would have executed it differently, or at least decided to operate separate clients but not limit usage in one continent to a specific client.

  2. #222
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Ugh... Reading comprehension fail. My bad, sorry.

    A real change to F2P would get me playing again. I have a couple of F2P games that I tinker around in when I'm bored. Heaven forbid I don't actually spend any money in their cash shops, but I still boot them up from time to time.
    Yeah, but even by your own admittance they might get you back but they won't see dime one from you, me and likely a large majority of players. How F2P is a good move is a mystery, I hardly think the game will be sustained by the few who go wild with money -that likely isn't theirs- for individual imaginary items.

  3. #223
    I still remeber at the start of this year when everyone jumped on me in a thread when i said i expected SWTOR free to play before christmas, because there was no way a game decaying so quickly so early could be profitable to the level a company like EA could expect.

    How i felt when i read the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bz-Qet4BDM

  4. #224
    Here's the beef.

    SWTOR isn't a good game. It's a mediocre and sometimes below average game, with some parts that are sometimes above average. In the MMO market, it's a flounder just like most other MMOs because it doesn't offer anything new, exciting, or special to give gamers a reason to continue playing it, outside of the die hard fans who pay for this game simply because it says 'star wars' on the box.

    The fact of the matter is that Bioware didn't recoup enough money to continue development on the game, paying developers to create new content and improve existing content. The fact of the matter is that they are in a void where if they don't shift to F2P, they won't have any new subs coming in, and they won't have a reason to develop new content or improve existing content. If they stay with the Subscription model, they risk losing too many players because new content isn't coming out and current content isn't being improved.

    People only play Wow after 7 years because it offers solid game play, a shit ton of different activities for anyone to engage in, and it's constantly being updated and improved upon. The likely hood of someone simply running out of things to do before getting completely bored of Wow, is astronomically small. People are much more likely to just dislike the game and decide not to play it anymore within the trial period, first.

    And it's not like Tor doesn't have potential to be a great game. It's a SW IP, so of course it does. The problem is that the people working on it (and this was obvious just weeks before release) were the wrong people. The systems design team did a terrible job designing the classes and the balance was terrible. There wasn't enough variety of things to do within the game. Tor did not launch with in a solid enough state to compete with even the likes of single player games, such as Skyrim.

    It does need help, no one can dispute that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  5. #225
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,162
    Apparently, the page that was the reference for all of this has been removed: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/sta...lead-designer/

    I'm not certain for the reason, but I'm going to try and dig to see if I can find anything.

  6. #226
    Fifa online in the east brings in $100 million anually, regardless of that, this isn't final, who knows what will happen.
    Mindless complaints about the game make me laugh, it's not THAT bad, try playing it with your head out of your arseholes.

    Also: GamesTM? Lol.

  7. #227
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Here's the beef.

    SWTOR isn't a good game. It's a mediocre and sometimes below average game, with some parts that are sometimes above average. In the MMO market, it's a flounder just like most other MMOs because it doesn't offer anything new, exciting, or special to give gamers a reason to continue playing it, outside of the die hard fans who pay for this game simply because it says 'star wars' on the box.

    The fact of the matter is that Bioware didn't recoup enough money to continue development on the game, paying developers to create new content and improve existing content. The fact of the matter is that they are in a void where if they don't shift to F2P, they won't have any new subs coming in, and they won't have a reason to develop new content or improve existing content. If they stay with the Subscription model, they risk losing too many players because new content isn't coming out and current content isn't being improved.

    People only play Wow after 7 years because it offers solid game play, a shit ton of different activities for anyone to engage in, and it's constantly being updated and improved upon. The likely hood of someone simply running out of things to do before getting completely bored of Wow, is astronomically small. People are much more likely to just dislike the game and decide not to play it anymore within the trial period, first.

    And it's not like Tor doesn't have potential to be a great game. It's a SW IP, so of course it does. The problem is that the people working on it (and this was obvious just weeks before release) were the wrong people. The systems design team did a terrible job designing the classes and the balance was terrible. There wasn't enough variety of things to do within the game. Tor did not launch with in a solid enough state to compete with even the likes of single player games, such as Skyrim.

    It does need help, no one can dispute that.
    I agree with this. I don't think they ever should have expected good returns from a sub model, with the state of the game being what it is

    Perhaps they should have launched free to play, and just avoided this drama
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

  8. #228
    If it goes F2P real F2P not that free till 15 shit I will proly play. Played the beta was a huge let down not worth the money.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

  9. #229
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Apparently, the page that was the reference for all of this has been removed: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/sta...lead-designer/

    I'm not certain for the reason, but I'm going to try and dig to see if I can find anything.
    An angry call from George?

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    Apparently, the page that was the reference for all of this has been removed: http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/sta...lead-designer/

    I'm not certain for the reason, but I'm going to try and dig to see if I can find anything.
    EA had the story spiked. A lot of people are unsubbing because of it.

    To help though, here's the Google Cache of it:

    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...t=psy-ab&gbv=1

  11. #231
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,162
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    An angry call from George?
    Not sure.

    My thoughts are that there are three possible options:

    1. He slipped up and let the cat out of the bag. BW asked them to pull the story and they did.
    2. He was mistaken/incorrect in his statement.
    3. His statement was taken incorrectly and he was actually referencing the F2P to level 15 or 20, or whatever it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post
    EA had the story spiked. A lot of people are unsubbing because of it.
    A lot of people state that they are unsubbing because they have to wait another day for transfers, or the sky boxes are cheap, or a myriad of other pointless little things. I put little faith in those statements by players.

  12. #232
    how about refunding the money I paid if its going f2p...

  13. #233
    Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    Fifa online in the east brings in $100 million anually, regardless of that, this isn't final, who knows what will happen.
    Mindless complaints about the game make me laugh, it's not THAT bad, try playing it with your head out of your arseholes.

    Also: GamesTM? Lol.
    It's not THAT bad, if you say so, but it's still bad. For the budget they had to work with, the game feel incredibly empty. As I've stated many times before, it's as if they listened to the "wow haters" and tried to make a game like BC. No features and spamming chat for groups like the old days. It doesn't work anymore. They should have made their own game and added some cool stuff because WoW has changed the way MMO's are. People demand a lot more in MMO's nowadays. You can see why they will probably F2P in the near future. And when that does, it will be the biggest flop in history. Nice to add to your resume huh? That's too bad. It had a ton of potential and unlimited possibilities.

    And I forgot to say, F2P isn't a bad thing. They can and probably will still make money, as the other games do, but considering all the hype around the game and the budget, to see it more than likely go to F2P so fast is pretty sad.

    The game is not worth 15 bucks a month, so going F2P will help them.
    Last edited by KClovesGaming; 2012-06-15 at 04:48 PM.

  14. #234
    Some people spend loads of money on f2p games. They are free, but most likely you have 2-3x exp for a month for something like $10 - that is basically a subscription you have to pay to stay competitive. Then there is some relatively cheap stuff which improves your loot/crafting etc... Eventually some people start paying more and more to avoid grind. I knew a guy who was happily paying 10$/month, but then after patch spent over $1000 in a month in Atlantica Online while trying to stay on top of rankings until he realized it is not worth it. I even heard stories of people spending tons of money in Travian...

    Besides blizz doing the same, just not going as far - selling remote AH, pets/mounts etc - collectors happily paying for it. Then Diablo RMAH...

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    how about refunding the money I paid if its going f2p...
    Sorta why I decided to cancel today. I haven't played in near to a month now and all the bad news keeps adding up and now this FTP thing. Straw. Camel. Back.

  16. #236
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    I still remeber at the start of this year when everyone jumped on me in a thread when i said i expected SWTOR free to play before christmas, because there was no way a game decaying so quickly so early could be profitable to the level a company like EA could expect.

    How i felt when i read the news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bz-Qet4BDM
    it is still highly unlikely for SWTOR to be F2P

  17. #237
    lul, wow, already talking a full f2p transfer and it's been 7 months. You think Aion was bad, that game took 3 years!

    Seriously though, anyone who didn't see this coming needs to open their eyes, the game was really poor at launch, and certain things that took Bioware too long to fix (combat lag especially) destroyed the game for a TON of people.

    F2P can only mark 2 things for this game: future success or that it will be going offline soon. Didn't they have to have like 1mil subs for like 2 years to break even? Do they think they can get 1.5 years with of subscriber cash from a F2P transition? I'm not denying that F2P CAN be successful, but couldn't it just as easily make a bad situation much, much worse?

    I'd love to see it get off it's feet, but it seems with ever step Bioware/EA have been taking, they've been hacking at SWTOR's legs with a hatchet.

    toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

  18. #238
    F2P isn't a good model for MMORPG. It's good model for MOBA.
    Look what lotro has become with that model...

  19. #239
    Fluffy Kitten
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5,162
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrotica View Post
    Sorta why I decided to cancel today. I haven't played in near to a month now and all the bad news keeps adding up and now this FTP thing. Straw. Camel. Back.
    Please, we have no definitive statement by the team at BW. As of now, nothing is actually confirmed as going F2P.

  20. #240
    From what I've read about other MMOs who use the f2p business model you can actually make good money off of it. However, I dont think this business model is competitive enough to become one of the best selling mmos. It seems good enough to keep a game alive but its taking away the chance to reach the top. I guess switching to f2p is a way to get more time to release more content to offer to new players and make the game "last longer".

    I wonder what they're gonna do if this actually works. They cant switch back from f2p to subscription based, people would go bananas if they did that. So even if their new business model keeps the game alive and makes it better, it will never grow big...
    All in all switching to a f2p model seems like a desperation move to me
    ~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •