Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    They said November during the conference call, something BW afterwards claimed wasn't true but instead it would be released when it was ready, I'd still put my money on November though as EA is the boss but could very well be later judging by the tone of the BW answer.
    You know what always confused me about gaming companies and the way they did the F2P switch? Why not allow people to pay if they want, or do the free route (before cash shop options are fully implemented etc) it would only be a win/win considering they'll either get a sub or won't. It's not like they'd be LOSING any money at all, unless of course they are secretly hoping people buy the game hoping it'll be good to get a "jump start" on leveling before F2P goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    You know what always confused me about gaming companies and the way they did the F2P switch? Why not allow people to pay if they want, or do the free route (before cash shop options are fully implemented etc) it would only be a win/win considering they'll either get a sub or won't. It's not like they'd be LOSING any money at all, unless of course they are secretly hoping people buy the game hoping it'll be good to get a "jump start" on leveling before F2P goes live.
    If they did that they couldn't have a promotion sale of the remaining boxes and sell subscriptions with the promise of lots of cartel coins that they didn't actually put a relative value on yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was first going to state that F2P was launching in November, but after checking their site for more information it says "Fall". That indicates before November no matter how you look at it, but that is why I said mid-late October since its merely a week or two less than what we originally anticipated.

---------- Post added 2012-08-30 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    That is how they're doing the current F2P option. You can pay the subscription fee for all content or you can purchase individual parts of the game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I was first going to state that F2P was launching in November, but after checking their site for more information it says "Fall". That indicates before November no matter how you look at it, but that is why I said mid-late October since its merely a week or two less than what we originally anticipated.
    I'm not sure what strange part of the world you live in, but fall has hardly begun in October.

The astronomical fall (Northern Hemisphere) begins Saturday, September 22, 2012, and ends Thursday, December 20, 2012

The winter solstice is on Dec 21 - ie first day of winter. They basically have to have it out by Christmas. From a literal and good business stand point.

edit: Maybe the spreadsheets keep you from finding your Farmer's Almanac.
    Last edited by Kelimbror; 2012-08-30 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know Fall does not start in October, but I highly doubted that F2P would come out at the end of September since the new content is expected to be released in September.

Just using estimations, we are supposed to be getting a big update in December that is not the F2P option. I picked up the halfway point between content releases which is around late October.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You know we are talking about Bioware and EA right?

I don't know that it would be wise to try and go toe to toe with the first month of a WoW xpac. I would really like to see them target this for November. They need that time window to use F2P to snag people back before the holiday money disappears. Maybe somewhat selfish, as I know I will eb heavily involved until at least November and I want to enjoy the game fully with new features/content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just trying to be realistic from a time standpoint. We'll see! Maybe F2P will launch closer to the new content (ala new levels) to show people how awesome 1-50 is and rope them into paying for the new levels in order to experience more of the story.

I'm just trying to be realistic from a time standpoint. We'll see! Maybe F2P will launch closer to the new content (ala new levels) to show people how awesome 1-50 is and rope them into paying for the new levels in order to experience more of the story.
    Eh someone random predicted November, I don't even remember who at this point. Honestly I think the next patch with the new op, nightmare denova, and the new warzone will be end of sept/beginning of Octoberish. Then F2P End of Oct/Nov... then the new planet, extra levels, extended levels yatta yatta in December. But that's just my thoughts so take it with a grain of salt

In some way or another I think what you said is the plan on BW/EA's side of things.

Get them hooked or interested in the 1-50 content and all they can do with the enticement of paying for operations, more PVP and the extra 5 levels plus new planet.

It could be great for the game if done right even in a F2P model.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    In some way or another I think what you said is the plan on BW/EA's side of things.

Get them hooked or interested in the 1-50 content and all they can do with the enticement of paying for operations, more PVP and the extra 5 levels plus new planet.

It could be great for the game if done right even in a F2P model.
    I can't see them introducing extra levels without a new tier of raid to go along with it, that would probably be one of the worst things they could think of doing, not only does it make any previous raids obsolete it would leave raiders with no additional content to run at max level.

So if they release a new raid now I'd venture a guess that the new planet won't be around until late December if it will be this year even. Although they have made one questionable decision after another when it comes to this game so who knows they might make that mistake as well.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-08-31 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Eh someone random predicted November, I don't even remember who at this point. Honestly I think the next patch with the new op, nightmare denova, and the new warzone will be end of sept/beginning of Octoberish. Then F2P End of Oct/Nov... then the new planet, extra levels, extended levels yatta yatta in December. But that's just my thoughts so take it with a grain of salt
    http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...play-this-fall

The Verge isn't "some random" :P

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Actually it comes from EA's conference call, although BW has in interviews claimed that it's not set in stone and will be released when ready some time in the fall.

Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan, which will make the game more accessible and grow the audience. The new pricing will go into effect in November.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-08-31 at 06:52 PM.

Still sad that fools are welcoming this terrible change with open arms.

Please post constructively. - Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-09-02 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Actually it comes from EA's conference call, although BW has in interviews claimed that it's not set in stone and will be released when ready some time in the fall.
    Like I said I couldn't remember where exactly came from They haven't posted/officially announced the date yet so until then it's not in stone. And even then it could change though less likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    Still sad that fools are welcoming this terrible change with open arms.

Please post constructively. - Cula
    I'm happier that the "heat" is off TOR now as the herds, and hyenas that follow them, are swamping GW2 right now. Give Austin the space to work on a good conversion without everyone breathing down their necks.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I've quit because of the F2P announcement and I will be comming back just because it will be free. I mean as long as I can do few dailies and wz a week I dont mind. Won't spend a penny on sub or shop though, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm happier that the "heat" is off TOR now as the herds, and hyenas that follow them, are swamping GW2 right now. Give Austin the space to work on a good conversion without everyone breathing down their necks.
    The problem is, by the time they get this stuff going, nobody but the diehards will be left anyway, they are going to be fighting a huge uphill battle to regain players willing to spend money, I mean its a fairly average, MAYBE slightly above average game... Its not like they can just sit around months and months while they "work hard" on the conversion because their shining reputation will keep the game going in the meantime.

The fact that the game is overseen by EA is a huge problem here, EA is notorious for yanking support from anything that doesn't turn into the biggest game of all time, if they don't get things going soon, there is only going to be like three interns left to do everything.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    The problem is, by the time they get this stuff going, nobody but the diehards will be left anyway, they are going to be fighting a huge uphill battle to regain players willing to spend money, I mean its a fairly average, MAYBE slightly above average game... Its not like they can just sit around months and months while they "work hard" on the conversion because their shining reputation will keep the game going in the meantime.

The fact that the game is overseen by EA is a huge problem here, EA is notorious for yanking support from anything that doesn't turn into the biggest game of all time, if they don't get things going soon, there is only going to be like three interns left to do everything.
    Well, they'll have a big marketing push behind it to raise awareness and get people to jump back into the game, and if previous F2P transitions are anything to go by (especially considering they occurred far after the launch, whereas this is within the same year so the game is still relatively fresh) then they'll see a big boom of initial players which tails off after a few months but maintains higher levels of active players as well as paying players.

And this game is a MASSIVE investment on the part of EA, and based on the transition to freemium they're making relatively early on, they seem like they're doing everything they can to make sure the game grows. I mean, I could see them pulling a Warhammer and pulling pretty much all support if this fails to return the game to "acceptable" levels of profitability, but I'd be surprised if that happened (and really sad too).

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I don't know. I see the game's size at about 30 gigs wasn't it (?) being a bigger barrier to entry than the game itself. If EA pushes marketing significantly then I could see the game getting a nice bump in actives and, if Austin can keep new content coming, finding a level that EA is willing to live with. Now of course how well the game can keep players wanting to play and shop is a much bigger question mark since even according to their own poll, the price wasn't why most people quit.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Now of course how well the game can keep players wanting to play and shop is a much bigger question mark since even according to their own poll, the price wasn't why most people quit.
    It was though, 40% quit because of the subscription fee. I'd be willing to put a lot of money down that they may have enjoyed the game, but didn't feel that the game warranted a subscription fee for what they were getting. If you give them options to purchase features they want a la carte without paying the sub fee, you bring a pretty powerful incentive to return, especially when you give them access to the full level 50 story quests.

They will have to do some work on content updates though, since without frequent content updates they might have player retention issues (again), but if they're bringing in more revenue after the transition that gives them more resources to dedicate to the game i.e. bigger/faster content updates. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on a bunch of content right now to have in their back pocket for the transition.