Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ...
28
36
37
38
39
40
... LastLast
  1. #741
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    The studio in charge of the game closed.
    That really sucks. It's been a while since I played but I enjoyed the game for what it was.

  2. #742
    My opinion on this is that f2p players should be able to do the first raids not the new ones

  3. #743
    Quote Originally Posted by Valzi View Post
    My opinion on this is that f2p players should be able to do the first raids not the new ones
    That would actually be okay by me. Its not like they'd get current best gear but they would at least get a small taste of the raiding scene.

  4. #744
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    That would actually be okay by me. Its not like they'd get current best gear but they would at least get a small taste of the raiding scene.
    Also would be fine with this. They would need to actually hire an art team to create different looking gear, but they need to do that anyways.

  5. #745
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Also would be fine with this. They would need to actually hire an art team to create different looking gear, but they need to do that anyways.
    Not to... Diverge from the topic at hand, but how does the gear currently look in the new patch? Eternal Conflict gear not only had terrible stats, but looked terrible (for some classes) as well.

  6. #746
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    Not to... Diverge from the topic at hand, but how does the gear currently look in the new patch? Eternal Conflict gear not only had terrible stats, but looked terrible (for some classes) as well.
    Hate to break it to you... but the new gear is just a different color. I am sad to say that. I was looking forward to see what kind of new gear set I would sport but it looks like I'm going to use orange gear once again.

  7. #747
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Hate to break it to you... but the new gear is just a different color. I am sad to say that. I was looking forward to see what kind of new gear set I would sport but it looks like I'm going to use orange gear once again.
    I too do not wish to be Scuba Steve.

  8. #748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I too do not wish to be Scuba Steve.
    Finally!

    Someone agrees with my reference! Everyone else is like, "Whaa?"

  9. #749
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Hate to break it to you... but the new gear is just a different color. I am sad to say that. I was looking forward to see what kind of new gear set I would sport but it looks like I'm going to use orange gear once again.
    Well, better to hear it here as opposed to ending up disappointed after a long night of raiding.

    Also, Scuba Steve got me. Great movie.

  10. #750
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    Well, better to hear it here as opposed to ending up disappointed after a long night of raiding.

    Also, Scuba Steve got me. Great movie.
    The gear is just grey scaled, so it doesn't look BAD, but its still pretty ugly.

    My fix: Get war hero and use that instead (the shell).

  11. #751
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    The gear is just grey scaled, so it doesn't look BAD, but its still pretty ugly.

    My fix: Get war hero and use that instead (the shell).
    We are still in the silly transition time where as campaign and war hero is the only armor which has the set bonus on its armor mod. I hope they don't change that with Dread Master gear, which means that you can choose whatever outfit you like and just switch mods to look as individual as you like. Would have been much better if they had changed the previous sets as well instead of just leaving them as they are.

  12. #752
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Players does not equal subscribers though.

    On that topic, I found it interesting that City of Heroes is closing down now, a game that in previous discussions on the subject was proclaimed as successful with a huge increase in it's revenue and player base, not only that but also claimed to get more and better content as a result of the transition.
    Yep, here is the link, we hear about hundreds of thousands or millions creating accounts but not a whole lot afterward. As an example, Turbine opened, what, two more servers to deal with the supposed rush of going F2P but have they opened any since? Where is the growth that many like to assume F2P brings? Its an illusion and opens the product to even more potential trouble when you can actually have no revenue at all instead.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  13. #753
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    14,260
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yep, here is the link, we hear about hundreds of thousands or millions creating accounts but not a whole lot afterward. As an example, Turbine opened, what, two more servers to deal with the supposed rush of going F2P but have they opened any since? Where is the growth that many like to assume F2P brings? Its an illusion and opens the product to even more potential trouble when you can actually have no revenue at all instead.
    Except plenty of other companies have the same data and yet continue to operate with a profit. We know they profit, because they continue to stay open and make new content. They aren't a bank, they aren't going to get bailed out. If they cease to make more money than they spend, their doors will close.

    That's not to say that the only reason a game would shut down is due to non profitability. Several terrible management/business events could cause something like this. Not to mention that some companies might see an opportunity elsewhere and abandon ship to jump on it. This is the first 'failure' from a 'big' F2P game that we've seen. A lot of people claim they were still making money, so who knows what was really going on.

  14. #754
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yep, here is the link, we hear about hundreds of thousands or millions creating accounts but not a whole lot afterward. As an example, Turbine opened, what, two more servers to deal with the supposed rush of going F2P but have they opened any since? Where is the growth that many like to assume F2P brings? Its an illusion and opens the product to even more potential trouble when you can actually have no revenue at all instead.
    We have one game out of the (counting... I can count 10 off the top of my head?) that made the transition and closed down afterwards. The remaining games are all still open and running fine, releasing content and patching the game ect.

    It's not some OMGEXPLOSIONOFMONEYEVERYWHERE! change, but it brings a huge initial influx of revenue followed by a generally higher steady revenue stream than before. If it didn't work, games wouldn't consider the transition and we wouldn't see SWTOR doing it and TSW considering it.

  15. #755
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    We have one game out of the (counting... I can count 10 off the top of my head?) that made the transition and closed down afterwards. The remaining games are all still open and running fine, releasing content and patching the game ect.
    It was the only one that came up in discussions around here as being successful after the transition that later closed down, an assumption would be the other 9 wasn't successful enough to be remembered or valid enough to use in an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    It's not some OMGEXPLOSIONOFMONEYEVERYWHERE! change, but it brings a huge initial influx of revenue followed by a generally higher steady revenue stream than before. If it didn't work, games wouldn't consider the transition and we wouldn't see SWTOR doing it and TSW considering it.
    Yet it closed down, if it did make enough money to justify having the studio open there would be no reason to close it down. Another way of looking at it is that they aim for that quick boom in players and revenue as a last resort to squeeze money out of the game before writing it off.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  16. #756
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Except plenty of other companies have the same data and yet continue to operate with a profit. We know they profit, because they continue to stay open and make new content. They aren't a bank, they aren't going to get bailed out. If they cease to make more money than they spend, their doors will close.

    That's not to say that the only reason a game would shut down is due to non profitability. Several terrible management/business events could cause something like this. Not to mention that some companies might see an opportunity elsewhere and abandon ship to jump on it. This is the first 'failure' from a 'big' F2P game that we've seen. A lot of people claim they were still making money, so who knows what was really going on.
    There's no doubt that if EA allows it, TOR can and will settle down to be a modestly profitable back catalog game, with modest staff, modest content schedule, and modest playerbase, and run for years.

    The danger is that EA surveys its shark tank of competing titles and says "We're EA, we don't do modest little games," and continues to mess with it until they've killed it completely. Let's hope that prudence (and a little force choke from LEC) prevent them.

    Still experimenting...

  17. #757
    Quote Originally Posted by Clattuc View Post
    There's no doubt that if EA allows it, TOR can and will settle down to be a modestly profitable back catalog game, with modest staff, modest content schedule, and modest playerbase, and run for years.

    The danger is that EA surveys its shark tank of competing titles and says "We're EA, we don't do modest little games," and continues to mess with it until they've killed it completely. Let's hope that prudence (and a little force choke from LEC) prevent them.
    Going on past experience with EA, they are pissy because they didnt get 10 million subs in the first 3 months, and are now yanking all the talent they can from the game and leaving a skeleton crew of interns to run day to day. EA doesnt give a crap about making a good game, or what fans what, they just want as much money as possible, if they dont get it despite putting in little effort, they ditch the game and move on.

  18. #758
    Quote Originally Posted by snowcrash512 View Post
    Going on past experience with EA, they are pissy because they didnt get 10 million subs in the first 3 months, and are now yanking all the talent they can from the game and leaving a skeleton crew of interns to run day to day. EA doesnt give a crap about making a good game, or what fans what, they just want as much money as possible, if they dont get it despite putting in little effort, they ditch the game and move on.
    Watch EA burn swtor down to make way for Mass Effect MMO.

    Hype the hell out of the MEMMO.

    Make all their money back in the first month.

    And then destroy that mmo.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Silver Hunter -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  19. #759
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Yet it closed down, if it did make enough money to justify having the studio open there would be no reason to close it down. Another way of looking at it is that they aim for that quick boom in players and revenue as a last resort to squeeze money out of the game before writing it off.
    You're right, it did close down. So based off the 10 games that made the transition recently that I can think of, that's a 90% success rate given that most have been running for well over a year with this model. I'm not even counting the model that L2/Aion uses, but it seemed successful enough in L2 to justify making Aion F2P as well.

    So you have one example of a studio closing shop after a transition, and I've provided 9 others for studios that haven't closed shop after a transition. I fail to see how your argument holds much more weight, especially when you look at games like LOTRO/DDO/Champion Online ect. which have been going strong for years since their transition.

    It's a legitimate model that has been proven to work the overwhelming majority of the time. And for CoH it's not as if they made the transition and stopped reinvesting in it, only seeking to "squeeze money out of the game before writing it off". They've had a number of patches (I think they actually patched faster after the transition) since then so active development was still going on. Nobody actually knows why the studio is closing down. It's assumed that they aren't profitable enough, and that's a good assumption, but there is the possibility that there are some sort of internal conflicts.

  20. #760
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Yet it closed down, if it did make enough money to justify having the studio open there would be no reason to close it down. Another way of looking at it is that they aim for that quick boom in players and revenue as a last resort to squeeze money out of the game before writing it off.
    There is plenty of possible reasons why to close down a studio. Glass half empty kind of guy can speculate like you do, but it's all just speculation. It's clear that BW and EA are not happy with how TOR is doing, so they are trying something else. Either it will work out or it won't ... current situation is not something that is sustainable in the long run anyway and it's better that they are trying to do something rather than have the game slowly die with no bang at the end.

    I just hope future MMO developers realize that making b2p MMO is much more reasonable business plan than hoping for p2p miracle. I also hope that b2p MMOs will be good business in the future

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •