Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    SWTOR is still EA property. If the game is a horrid bug ridden mess with horrible content. Imagine it's F2P version after EA guts the game more.

Not all games have to pay the LUCAS tax either the game could easily become unprofitable.

In SWTOR's case once they go F2P they will just rotate players. The will do the single player aspects and quit no attachment needed.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2012-06-15 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    SWTOR is still EA property. If the game is a horrid bug ridden mess with horrible content. Imagine it's F2P version after EA guts the game more.

Not all games have to pay the LUCAS tax either the game could easily become unprofitable.
    What game you been playing/played?
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    It's not going F2P (Yet nor has it been confirmed) this is simply an idea they are throwing around out there and one person's thoughts at that this man does not speak on behalf of EA.

However it's not surprising that the games former disgruntled players are seeking to use this to slander the game. This thread is basically troll bait and all it will accomplish is to bring in more disgruntled trolls which will most likely cancel any civility some people might wish to see.

I personally find it rather sad that people take pleasure in the possibility of this game going F2P at some point down the line, it's like EA broke into your house when you were young and planted clowns everywhere which resulted in you being scared for life and developing a hate towards EA.

The bandwagon is an exciting thing isn't it?
    Not to mention that TOR burned there house down, raped their puppies, and shot there wives/girlfriend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obao98 View Post
    Who gives a flying f-ck??

Obviously ANYONE who likes the game should give a flying f-ck. If the game doesn`t make money, they don`t release new content.

God, I HATE kids. GO F-CKING AWAY.
    First-off, from your rhetoric it's pretty hard to tell which camp you're in: the "lololol fail WoW-killer" crowd, the "objective observer crowd", the "I'm disappointed and BW is dead to me" crowd or from some other group that thrives on the mmo-c forums. That makes responding to your posts adequately somewhat difficult.

Secondly, a game of that scope does not just roll over and decide to not make money. Why are you even talking about that? B2P and F2P makes money just fine, I think you have some misconceptions of that. The fact that a dev is talking about going the F2P route does not mean he is admitting defeat or something. I'm sure a metric shit-ton of companies would like to experience a similar business "defeat" like the one experienced by League of Legends, which is making Riot millions of dollars even though it's F2P.

I'm also fairly optimistic about the model GW2 is employing (B2P + vanity cash shop), I think it could be a big success.

Thirdly, the doomsaying is somewhat out of place. Last time I checked, SWTOR is still one of the most successful MMOs out there even if it dropped some subs. This negativity, I feel, is coming from the misplaced concept that it somehow should have "killed" WoW or matched its sub numbers but didn't. Which is kind of hard for me to understand since nobody except little children and mind-numbingly retarded idiots ever said it would in the first place. It has problems, sure, nobody is denying that. Big problems for some - but A LOT of people are still playing it, and its one of the few games apart from WoW which manage to still hold on to the sub model and convince people to pay every month. If you spent a little time researching you would be surprised at how successful the F2P game market has been lately, it's actually numerically dominant compared to the sub market.

As to content, it's still being released and planned:
    http://www.swtor.com/info/media/trai...new-reveals-e3

With patch 1.3 (which is already on the PTR), the game will have a (non-cross server) LFD tool, 4 warzones, 3 raids and a bunch of other minor stuff. With the content in that video I linked - 5 warzones and 4 raids, a new level cap and new abilities within a bit more of 7-8 months since launch. That will be more than WoW could say for itself in its respective timeline.

Again, I would like to stress that I'm not here to whiteknight SWTOR, it has its own serious issues but I think that this discussions needs a little bit of balance brought into it.

F2P is not necessarily a defeat for any particular company. F2P is a growing trend and a proven successful business model. Moreover, making predictions that it WILL happen based on one dev saying that it could possibly happen is definitely premature.

P.S. And probably just to add to my forming reputation as a Blizzard hater and SWTOR fanboy (har har): the people saying that SWTOR was "a bug ridden mess" just make me shake my head in sad disbelief. Right after I stop laughing.

I played at launch of TBC, WotLK and Cata. I even played shortly in Vanilla (my only Alliance char ever). All of those releases had more bugs, gameplay comfort issues and glitches in my experience than SWTOR did. It had its fair share, but for a new game - it was relatively smooth.

WoW has many advantages over TOR, but stellar bug-free releases is not one of them. Actually it's kind of one of Blizzard's weakpoints and D3 is a testament to that.
    Last edited by zealous; 2012-06-15 at 07:39 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still would like to know what is wrong with F2P?

I mean what does it matter, i rather have a game be free to play and pay for content when i want it. Then pay 15 a month, if SW:TOR wants to compete with planetside2, gw2 etc it will have to go free to play. That is were this market is going towards. And even WoW eventually will go free to play, as simple as that since every mmo should be developed with that in mind now a days. The sub based MMO days are OVER!.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadylol View Post
    As someone who seems to care about story, I'd just like to recommend to you, that you don't make a Sith Inquisitor (at least not as your first Class). Most of the stories are okay, some are really good, but playing a Sith Inquisitor first might permanently ruin your opinion of the game

Sith Warrior, and Imperial Agent are probably the best stories
    Heh, I actually *did* make a Pureblood Inquisitor.... While the story seemed ok'ish - it was the douchebaggy voiceacting which killed it...

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    Best. Description. Ever.

Anyways, when it does go f2p i'll come back and finish out my shadow, hell maybe even roll up some other alts because as awful as the railroad (singular path levelling) is, the class stories tend to be at least enjoyable (<3 Agent)
    Awww thank you

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Heh, I actually *did* make a Pureblood Inquisitor.... While the story seemed ok'ish - it was the douchebaggy voiceacting which killed it...
    I found it "ok" myself, a lot actually depends on your dialogue choices, how your character ends up sounding I mean. The Inquisitor was far inferior to the Warrior (both actor and story) which I personally just loved. Bounty Hunter was pretty cool too but a little bit too simple and thick-headed. But I guess that's what you should expect from a character inspired by an old-west cowboy theme.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Obao, I'm not even gonna bother to respond to that comment, its just not worth it to sink myself to your level, I'm better than that.

/peace

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    It's not going F2P (Yet nor has it been confirmed) this is simply an idea they are throwing around out there and one person's thoughts at that this man does not speak on behalf of EA.

However it's not surprising that the games former disgruntled players are seeking to use this to slander the game. This thread is basically troll bait and all it will accomplish is to bring in more disgruntled trolls which will most likely cancel any civility some people might wish to see.

The bandwagon is an exciting thing isn't it?
    Yep. Someone who gets it.

A: This is not confirmed, they simply said they are considering it. Even blizzard, owners of the greatest, mightiest, and most successfull MMO of all times (which I still play and love BTW) has also gone on record that at some point in the future they "could" go Free2play. It wasn't a confirmation, nor something written in stone, they were simply saying that they've considered the possibility. Nothing more, nothing less.

B: Even if it was true, a game not charging a monthly fee isn't equal to it rolling over and dieing like Star Wars galaxies or Matrix Online did. An MMO is dead when it no longer sparks player interest regardless of whatever features they've added. That is NOT the case with SWTOR. There's plenty of stuff planned for the future, and tons of people are interested in it (Cathar for one, HK-51 for another). There's lots of free multiplayer games out there that not only enjoy a healthy population, but also a nice influx of content.

C: This thread (As well as that one called "I told you so" are nothing more than troll-bait, done by people who just wanna spew their bile and vent their frustrations at others who are just trying to have fun. I sincerely hope they close them both soon.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

If SWTOR is going Free2Play... i will start playing it again tbh. like 2 times a week. Its not worth 15 bucks a months, thats why i didnt play it anymore.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I found it "ok" myself, a lot actually depends on your dialogue choices, how your character ends up sounding I mean. The Inquisitor was far inferior to the Warrior (both actor and story) which I personally just loved. Bounty Hunter was pretty cool too but a little bit too simple and thick-headed. But I guess that's what you should expect from a character inspired by an old-west cowboy theme.
    Ah what I mean by douchebaggy, was the very male inquisitor voice itself. It was slick, while being arrogant it was just yuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schippie View Post
    I still would like to know what is wrong with F2P?

I mean what does it matter, i rather have a game be free to play and pay for content when i want it. Then pay 15 a month, if SW:TOR wants to compete with planetside2, gw2 etc it will have to go free to play. That is were this market is going towards. And even WoW eventually will go free to play, as simple as that since every mmo should be developed with that in mind now a days. The sub based MMO days are OVER!.
    Don't be confused. Some people needed an excuse to stamp their feet and scream that TOR is a pile of crap and should fail and this article supplied them with one.

There isn't much sincerity or informed logic behind it.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:52 AM ----------

Ah what I mean by douchebaggy, was the very male inquisitor voice itself. It was slick, while being arrogant it was just yuck.
    Well you have to agree that's a totally personal thing. I found it tolerable, it kind of portrayed the "arrogant know-it-all bookworm" to me which the Inquisitor image fit quite well in my mind.

As an example of the personal thing: lots of people loved the male Knight actor. I just HATED his voice. Seriously, hated it. Even when in the story I did rebellious stuff that went against the Jedi philosophy, he would comment on it with this soft, reasonable, raspy voice that just POed me. But again, I know lots of people who liked it. Go figure.

My favorites were the male Warrior and female Agent (but, hey - that's just the awesomeness of Jo Wyatt in that last one).

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    There's plenty of stuff planned for the future, and tons of people are interested in it (Cathar for one, HK-51 for another).
    Indeed, refer to my long-ass post and to the link to the video contained therein.

10+ Year Old Account
    C: This thread (As well as that one called "I told you so" are nothing more than troll-bait, done by people who just wanna spew their bile and vent their frustrations at others who are just trying to have fun. I sincerely hope they close them both soon.
    I was just about to say it. Seriously, I still don't get why so many people hate this game so much. For god sake. So what it goes F2P, GW2 will be F2P, many other mmo's are F2P, just because WoW was one of the firsts and had the luck to "catch" so many players back in 2004 (and on) so that they could pull the subscription model and stick with it, because people fell to an addiction with that game doesn't mean that every other game/developer has to go the same way and "compete". SW:ToR is still a success. Even if you trolls say it's not. The game LIVES and will LIVE both with subs or the F2P, so carry on.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't be confused. Some people needed an excuse to stamp their feet and scream that TOR is a pile of crap and should fail and this article supplied them with one.

There isn't much sincerity or informed logic behind it.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:52 AM ----------

Well you have to agree that's a totally personal thing. I found it tolerable, it kind of portrayed the "arrogant know-it-all bookworm" to me which the Inquisitor image fit quite well in my mind.

As an example of the personal thing: lots of people loved the male Knight actor. I just HATED his voice. Seriously, hated it. Even when in the story I did rebellious stuff that went against the Jedi philosophy, he would comment on it with this soft, reasonable, raspy voice that just POed me. But again, I know lots of people who liked it. Go figure.

My favorites were the male Warrior and female Agent (but, hey - that's just the awesomeness of Jo Wyatt in that last one).

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:54 AM ----------

Indeed, refer to my long-ass post and to the link to the video contained therein.
    Well of course it's personal heh, I just imagined the Inquisitor much more.... Oh I don't know "evil" I guess, or atleast just not as slick. Oh and I agree - male J. Knight was crigneworthy.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY7yI1xV-M oh lord the joy of calling something prior. Now go to the over hyped dire hell sub par piece of crap hell where you belong SWOR and may you never emerge again

In the future please post constructively. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-06-15 at 11:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveeRoo View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLY7yI1xV-M oh lord the joy of calling something prior. Now go to the over hyped dire hell sub par piece of crap hell where you belong SWOR and may you never emerge again
    Now this kind of post is why I just love the MMO-C forums. I just come back here once in a while to soak up all the civil conversation and lack of fanboyish bias.

EDIT:

Hm, never mind, just checked your post history. Didn't know you were on a crusade, my apologies. Do carry on.
    Last edited by zealous; 2012-06-15 at 08:05 AM.

Well of course it's personal heh, I just imagined the Inquisitor much more.... Oh I don't know "evil" I guess, or atleast just not as slick. Oh and I agree - male J. Knight was crigneworthy.
    I played a male Jedi Knight Light Side and found his VO perfect just like I imagined. Cool and calm even in the heat of battle, sound of thought in front of a galaxy in chaos. He seemed to use more emotion at the reasonable time, if you ask me it was perfect. For my dislike it gonna have to be the male Trooper =/, just don't like him.
    Last edited by Landin55; 2012-06-15 at 08:04 AM.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    I played a male Jedi Knight Light Side and found his VO perfect just like I imagined. Cool and calm even in the heat of battle, sound of thought in front of a galaxy in chaos. He seemed to use more emotion at the reasonable time but if you ask me it was perfect. For my dislike it gonna have to be the male Trooper =/, just don't like him.
    That proves my point exactly =) Different people had different reactions to the VA. Often with diametrically opposed opinions.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    That proves my point exactly =) Different people had different reactions to the VA. Often with diametrically opposed opinions.
    I guess the thing that bothered me the most, was that the voice was determined by class, and not race. That annoyed me abit, that say a human and a twi'lek sounds the same if they were Knights. (Just an example, I don't recall if twi'leks can be Knights)

Quote Originally Posted by Noobzor McScrub View Post
    EA kills another MMO. I think they're doing it for fun, tbh.
    Did you even read what was said?

I assume not judging by your comment it seems you seek little more than to bash EA I'll quote myself from earlier.

" The bandwagon is exciting isn't it? "

I would play this game if it went F2P. I have a 44 Assassin but I couldn't justify paying the sub fee because it was missing a lot. Of course this was back in the first 3-4 months of release but I have considered going back for 1.3 mainly because of group finder. Hoping they go through with this!