Stood in the Fire
    Somewhere, not sure yet, but ill get back to you.

How do you get into this game?

So I bought the game a while back, and I never got it. To be truthful I have no idea how you play this game/how you get started really..
    Does anyone have some advice for a newbie getting into the game?

The Insane
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I don't personally have a clue. But I'm certain that there are atleast 5000+ guides to be found on both google and youtube.
    *broken link*
    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    So I bought the game a while back, and I never got it. To be truthful I have no idea how you play this game/how you get started really..
    Youtube guides. Once you know what you're doing the game becomes very addictive.

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I don't personally have a clue. But I'm certain that there are atleast 5000+ guides to be found on both google and youtube.
    I tried that and I had no clue what half of them were saying :S
    Is it recommended that I play single player first?

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tu...er's_guide

A few pro tips from me: Only use your Diamonds to make Swords, and Pickaxes, everything else should be made with Iron. Level 12 is the optimal level for Diamond mining (press F3 to see coordinates, your Y axis is the level you're on). Mine in rows of two. Always, always, always wear a full set of Iron armor. Massive wheat farms are the easiest and best solution to hunger
    Last edited by Shadylol; 2012-06-15 at 03:17 PM.
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Start a map in creative mode and mess around with the recipes until you learn them.

I got into it by just playing around with my mates in it, I doubt I would of got into it so much if I played on my own the whole time.

Stood in the Fire
    is there anyway I can make a new survival world and invite my friend to it or do I have to set up a server?

You'll need to set up a server.

Youtube guides can help with that too. You have to open a port, so if you don't know how to do that, again, strongly recommend a guide. I think bukkit has a text based guide for their client, but I haven't been there in a while.

As aforementioned, a minecraft wiki, along with Google (which directed me to those wikis) are what allowed me to immerse myself in the world of Minecraft. I was also very appreciative of the Machina youtube series which star one of their journalist taking his first steps into Minecraft, though these clips are quite outdated.

Another thing I have to mention is if you have friends with it, play it with them. This game is infinitely more enjoyable with friends than alone. (Especially when you are the only one who remotely knows how to work redstone to do anything more complex than opening a door)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    one word CREEPERS
    and truthfully i just saw videos of it, which made be want to buy it, then i just figured it out from there.

If you fancy watching some videos PaulSoaresJr. has restarted his "how to survive and thrive in minecraft" which goes though all the basics, and is quite up to date.

Minecraftwiki is a great place to get the recipes and some more advanced farming techniques.

Youtube guides. Once you know what you're doing the game becomes very addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by exclusiveinc View Post
    Let the pros show you how its done (kind of outdated, but hilarious)

I got into the game with the custom maps people made. Multiplayer servers are always grand too, people mod them to do all sorts of crazy stuff. Log into one and I can fly around on my own personal zepplin, log into another and it has its own built in money system. Etc.

custom maps: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...t-custom-maps/
    multiplayer servers: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum/31-servers/

The Minecraft Wiki is an excellent source for new players. It has crafting recepies, block types, items, ect. that will help you advance in the game.