Poll: Have you had trouble going back to your other MMO's?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I also pretty much lost interest in all other games except Skyrim. Just playing that now till GW2 release..

Deleted
    of course you are all having trouble playing other "older" mmos after 3 days of gw2 beta. because gw2 is new and it is restricted to 3 days of playtime. they left you craving for more shiny new stuff. the novelty hasn't worn off. wow and the other mmos are not shiny any more. same thing happened with swtor. it came out and everybody and their mothers played it and it was the best thing since bread. then after a few weeks the novelty wore off and the flaws were dripping through the rose tinted glasses. same thing with everything new. first its the best thing in the world and after period of time its the same old same old... some will go back to their mmo of choice and some will stay with gw2 and swtor. and some will stop playing mmos for good... nothing new here...
    Last edited by mmoc94d1742b90; 2012-06-15 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropped my WoW sub about a month ago, first time in 4yrs. Farming Heroic DW on ez nerf mode was a bore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    I also pretty much lost interest in all other games except Skyrim. Just playing that now till GW2 release..
    I've been thinking about giving that a try....how is it?

Deleted
    I understand you do as a wow player, since it's the stale period between x-pacs. I got bored before last patch and quit that game completely. And yes, it was GW2 that made me quit wow completely... but it was other games that made it happen sooner rather than later.

I know the feeling since I was over the hype for GW2 as well. I'm still looking forward to the game ofc. I haven't played the beta but only thing that would make me interested in doing that is to check how the game runs on my computer.

What I learnt from leaving wow completely and play other games is the freedom of not being stuck in one game only. I played both rift and star wars and I enjoy both of them more than wow. However, neither of them made me as stuck in the game as wow did. I play what's fun for the moment, swap between games and will probably keep that spirit up for the future of my gaming.

I understand you and more people feeling the hype, but I'm afraid of the qq that will kick in when game is released... could be at start or further into the game , due to several reasons. Main issue might be that people see it as "the game" and hope it will be the fulltime replacement for the other game of choice. Content might not be enough for that.
    Also being used to subfee based game, that you get everything in game just by paying that, and games based on cash shops might surprise people with "additional stuff" that you dont "need" and either have to pay real cash to get or grind forever to get for "free". I think more people rather than less will be sad when that happen in GW2. It's a profit driven company behind the game, I think people might forget about that.

Premise of the thread is sorta dumb. Do you have a hard time going back to Baldur's Gate after playing Dragon Age? Or just can't enjoy Panzer General any longer after a Starcraft session?

Bioshock reducing the pleasures of System Shock?

This is why I feel "gamers" by in larger are deserving of little respect. Most unsophisticated and low audience of any medium.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Is it me, or does tera just feel like a standard mmo with the exception of the crosshair and anime-style graphics? It reminds me too much of wow... The quests, the mounts, the gear-grind, the gathering, the dungeons. Maybe I missed it, but is anything actually innovative about that game?
    Honestly? Not really, just the combat. The combat is very much like a fighting game in an MMO. Timing your attacks, dodging, it was just fun, at least to me. Technically you do the same thing in GW2, but it felt much tighter in TERA, while GW2 feels very lose. Between TERA and GW2, I'd have to give a slight edge towards TERA, since it feels a bit more tactical. I also like the collision detection more in TERA, but I can see how that could cause issues with the DE system in GW2 (specifically with melee characters). However, I enjoy the professions, lack of trinity, open teamwork, lack of gear treadmill, scalability, and just about every other feature in GW2 over TERA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, it's not just about the content, it's about the team behind it. They honestly love what they do. I think people tend to shrug it off as another off-shoot that'll collapse like all the others.

It keeps getting underestimated, but honestly, I'd rather have it be just popular enough and not some giant phenomenon.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Premise of the thread is sorta dumb. Do you have a hard time going back to Baldur's Gate after playing Dragon Age? Or just can't enjoy Panzer General any longer after a Starcraft session?

This is why I feel "gamers" by in larger are deserving of little respect. Most unsophisticated and low audience of any medium.
    Why comment on it then..
    Last edited by Rashanda; 2012-06-15 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashanda View Post
    Why comment on it then..
    Because I think it's important to the medium to not let this sort of POV go unanswered & without admonishment.

Deleted

How is it different than any other art form? If an old game is worth playing, it gets played. Just like with old movies and old paintings. It's just that sometimes certain art progresses faster.. Games progress very fast. You can't really compare like that. Comparing wow to gw2 is kinda like comparing cave wall art to Da Vinci

Deleted

I think it's to do with the person. I, for one, have a colossal sense of nostalgia, so will go back to games over and over, no matter what. My brother, for instance, only prefers "better" games, he won't go back and replay something he's already done.

As I've said, I won't go back to WoW because of what it's become to me, not because of what GW2 is.

WoW is dead to me now, haha. I haven't wanted to play that game since I started learning about Guild Wars 2, even. And now that I've played it I just don't even want to touch any game like WoW anymore.

so a brand new game never seen by anyone and completely new ideas is exciting for the 3 days you played...... Amazing who would have seen that coming. People said the same shit about SWTOR and that went well.

It depends. Some games really add in feature that make it difficult to play an earlier game. Assassin's Creed, for example, has grown leaps and bounds, in terms of gameplay, from game to game. Granted, they add dumb, useless things like buying buildings, a useless 'train an assassin' minigame, and the latest blasphemy of a Tower Defense (gawd that is horrid). After playing Dota 2, I am unable to play DOTA, just because it feels so dated. After playing GalCivII, I found it hard to play MOO/MOO2.

However, I play Jagged Alliance 2 at least once (usually twice) a year, still play Quest for Glory, Arcanum, Planescape: Torment, Outcast (one of the best games ever), Relentless, and many, many other older games in between playing newer games like Assassin's Creed, Darksiders, Path of Exile, Guild Wars, DDO, CoH, Dota2, etc.

Deleted
    jup

/woopwoop

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfrosty View Post
    so a brand new game never seen by anyone and completely new ideas is exciting for the 3 days you played...... Amazing who would have seen that coming. People said the same shit about SWTOR and that went well.
    That's not what the question was asking. It's not an "Is GW2 better than WoW?" thread, it's asking whether people have the so-called "GW2 effect"

Because I think it's important to the medium to not let this sort of POV go unanswered & without admonishment.
    So it's bad to not want to play a slower paced MMO after playing GW2? I can't play WoW or Rift anymore, I can still play TERA because it's at least enjoyable combat. GW2 changes so much of what people expect out of an MMO, it's not "wrong" to not enjoy the "older" MMOs anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh and people said that about almost every beta of almost every single video game released in the past ten years. How is the excitement of a game change the outcome of it's success..?

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    That's not what the question was asking. It's not an "Is GW2 better than WoW?" thread, it's asking whether people have the so-called "GW2 effect"
    I didnt even mention WOW...... GW2 looks okay I don't see it getting big I honestly see it hyped up just after launch and then slowly fail much like SWTOR did.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rashanda View Post
    Oh and people said that about almost every beta of almost every single video game released in the past ten years. How is the excitement of a game change the outcome of it's success..?
    Um id say more people complain about WOW betas then hype them up.

Deleted
    I didnt even mention WOW...... GW2 looks okay I don't see it getting big I honestly see it hyped up just after launch and then slowly fail much like SWTOR did.
    This is not a thread about whether GW2 will succeed or fail. That's as simple as I can put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Babelfisch View Post
    of course you are all having trouble playing other "older" mmos after 3 days of gw2 beta. because gw2 is new and it is restricted to 3 days of playtime. they left you craving for more shiny new stuff. the novelty hasn't worn off. wow and the other mmos are not shiny any more. same thing happened with swtor. it came out and everybody and their mothers played it and it was the best thing since bread. then after a few weeks the novelty wore off and the flaws were dripping through the rose tinted glasses. same thing with everything new. first its the best thing in the world and after period of time its the same old same old... some will go back to their mmo of choice and some will stay with gw2 and swtor. and some will stop playing mmos for good... nothing new here...
    That's one way to look at it, though it doesn't count for me. I never found swtor fun, filling the 60 minute mark playing it felt more like a chore than anything else. I played Tera for a few hours and never looked back since. I played the secret world for half an hour and uninstalled it directly after exiting the game. I moved the mouse in Final Fantasy XIV and almost puked, never looked back. I played MoP beta for half an hour and uninstalled the client as I did with the secret world.

All the games mentioned above aren't bad. I just didn't like them, the 'novelty' didn't help either.

So imo, saying 'ofc you liked it, it's new' is wrong. A (opinion) bad game is bad, whether it's old or new.