Deleted

Overclocking help/questions

Hey everyone, I'm new to everything concerning overclocking as just have managed to build my own PC. So the person that was assisting me and showing me how to install/manage everything showed me the basics? of overclocking by basicaly changing cpu , multiplier? and adjusting Vcore and LLC levels. So yesterday I started off by setting to 4.5Ghz with with 1.340 voltage and it was fine, even after 1 hour of Prime95 testing. Then I bumped it up to 4.6 @ same voltage and also was fine for the hour of testing. Then, I happily knowing that my chip achieved the speed I was hoping for(as I didn't really need more than that for everyday use), I still continued to push trying to go as far as I could. So I've put 4.7 in @ still 1.340 voltage and after ~10 minutes of prime testing my 4th core fatal error'ed out. I have absolutely no idea what that error means, even after checking that stress.txt. Quick google showed that maybe? thats problem with RAM?
    Time was long over midnight so I decided to put it back to 4.6 and leave it for more than one hour. Sadly enough, after I woke up and checked, both 3rd and 4th core error'ed out. 3rd after 4,5hours and 4th after 14 minutes?!

Right now anything above 4.5Ghz after just simply using my pc w/o stress testing will eventually after 10-30 minutes fail and my screen will just freeze :S

So basically what I'd like to know, is what those errors indicate so I can fix it. Thanks.

P.S If I have 2 memory modules that are 1600Mhz and I run them in dual channel mode they will show up as 800Mhz in Cpu-z right?
    P.S.S CPU is i5-2500k, mobo is asrock extreme 4 z77
    Last edited by mmoc70f465e9b5; 2012-06-15 at 02:19 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those errors mean that the CPU cannot handle the power with the volts you have selected which is why you need to continually up the voltage to increase speed.

I would stick with the 4.5 @ 1.34 volts.

Deleted
    Well, that's a relief Yeah I will stick at that speed for everyday use, I just want to know how far I can push it :P Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxl View Post
    P.S If I have 2 memory modules that are 1600Mhz and I run them in dual channel mode they will show up as 800Mhz in Cpu-z right?
    Dual channel means you got 2 sticks running at 800Mhz each. 800+800=1600Mhz. You are correct.