Deleted

mmos CPU demanding

Wassup with the new mmos hitting the market and how CPU demanding they seem to be? Why is that? Used to be the GPU that mattered the most, and personally I rather have that. Is it a change by choice or can't you do it any other way these days?

Deleted
    I wouldn't say that they are demanding, just poorly optimized for higher-end hardware. These games are usually made to reach a broad audience, which means off-loading as much of the work on the CPU as possible (i.e. making the game run "fine" with even on-die GPUs).

It's a mmo's nature to be more of a processor hog then gpu. There isn't much in most mmo's that would fully utilize a gpu other then rendering some simple objects and a tad in the shading department.

I've always been told that it has to do with the monumental amount of processes that occur in MMOs. Pretty much every single thing that is going on around your character has to be processed by the CPU, some examples: someone moving, someone mounting, someone performing a combat action (whether it is a melee slash, a bow firing, a spell being cast, etc), someone talking in /s, and everything else. It is all managed by your CPU.

Your GPU, more or less, only handles the stuff you see, which may seem like a lot, but it's no where near the amount of things that go on around your character.

Deleted
    Graphics Cards deal with what you see. This is largely unchanged in MMOs (often reduced), and the requirement increase will normally be linear. In addition, a big chunk of the requirement here is dealt by the 'world', so the impact per player is normally very minor.

Processors deal with objects (both what you can and cannot see). Lots of objects is what defines an MMO, so the workload here increases dramatically. Doesn't help that the requirement increase here is much more often exponential, and not linear.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-06-15 at 04:34 PM.

Lately? AFAIK MMOs have always been CPU heavy.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Deleted
    Afaik most MMOs offload things to the CPU like particle and shadow calculations - things that could've been managed by the GPU.