Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    working on my 5th 50 and so far ive enjoyed every act of every class story ive done. ive also enjoyed the gameplay of them all.

sith warrior, jedi knight, jedi shadow and imperial agent have all been fantastic to me. working on the trooper and im liking everything ive done so far!

I got no problems with the melee companions...they do a lot of damage as long as you don't let them hold aggro. My juggernaut does his dailies with Jaesa usually, and my sniper keeps Vector out full time. My assassin used Khem most of them time, but did pull Azshara out during a couple of fights as well.

I think a lot of people on this thread are confusing "Overrated" with "The one I don't like"

Overrated is a class that would be very VERY popular with the fandom (and this can apply to mirror classes, for example, even if mechanically the consular and inquisitor are identical, aesthetically they're very different, and their stories are different, so one could be overrated while the other one wouldn't) but when YOU tried it, it wasn't that impressive, and you felt that the hype was very much exaggerated.

Most answers on this thread are simply people stating what classes they don't like, which is not the same. I don't like consulars, but then again, consulars have never been hyped at all.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    I think a lot of people on this thread are confusing "Overrated" with "The one I don't like"
    True, Myself and others have fallen into that mistake.

I don't think smuggler has ever been very hyped up so I can't really say that after chapter 1 (the only chapter I liked) was overrated because it's never been overly praised in the first place.

I do stick with my original answer of Inquisitor though. That class is overrated in both coolness (people are way to happy about lightning) and story (predictable and all around kinda "meh")

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I do stick with my original answer of Inquisitor though. That class is overrated in both coolness (people are way to happy about lightning) and story (predictable and all around kinda "meh")
    You DO realize assassins barely use Lightning, right? As for predictable, I didn't find it really any more or less than any other class. I mean sure everyone should have seen Zash's betrayal coming but it's pretty much the same with the other classes too. Like with the warrior, if Baras turning on you came as a shock I wonder if we were playing the same game, with the agent if Jadus orchestrating the whole terror plot thing shocked you you simply weren't paying attention, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You DO realize assassins barely use Lightning, right? As for predictable, I didn't find it really any more or less than any other class. I mean sure everyone should have seen Zash's betrayal coming but it's pretty much the same with the other classes too. Like with the warrior, if Baras turning on you came as a shock I wonder if we were playing the same game, with the agent if Jadus orchestrating the whole terror plot thing shocked you you simply weren't paying attention, and so on.
    It's not just predictable because of any sort of foreshadowing or anything. It's like powerfully obvious from the start that the dysfunctional way of the sith will make that happen multiple times. It's so poorly done that it dosn't add anything to the story, you just shrug and go, "well at least that finally happened so I can move onto the next story point". Things like Skavak stealing your ship, besides knowing him for only a few moments, stirs up some emotion. And In the Trooper Story when you are betrayed, you actually feel betrayed unlike you would in any sith story .

When betrayal is just a part of everyday sith life it looses all importance and dosn't lead to an interesting story, that combined with the rest of the so-so inquisitor story makes the class very overhyped and overratated for how many kids ooo and awww over it.

Thankfully though since launch Inquisitors popularity does seem to have fallen as people realize there are better stories to be told in the Swtor game and peoples obsession with lightning/evil=cool seems to have faded.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2012-06-19 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i actually disagree about sith inquisitors...ive enjoyed the story from the very beginning, regardless of how obvious it was at times. all blasphemy aside, my vote for over rated is imperial agent. without giving out spoilers, i was extremely disappointed at the end of ch.1 when i felt my (LS) choice was all for nothing...i felt not only unrewarded, but to a lesser extent punished. i liked the prelude and everything leading up to the end of ch.1, where for me the story became one boring betrayal after another.

i play both sniper and operative, i love my sniper again (got boring briefly mid 20's to mid 30's), but cant bring myself to login to play my operative (level 33) other than crafting gear for alts (she's my cybertech). ordinarily im not one to complain about classes being 'broken', but its just unplayable for me now...cant do anything well, the tactical advantage mechanic was interesting initially but now is a pain in the ass, combined with sub-optimal dps and mediocre healing are'nt what i consider fun. i did have fun playing her pov as completely evil with no remorse, ala Anton Chigurh / No Country For Old Men, oh well...

And In the Trooper Story when you are betrayed, you actually feel betrayed unlike you would in any sith story .

When betrayal is just a part of everyday sith life it looses all importance and dosn't lead to an interesting story, that combined with the rest of the so-so inquisitor story makes the class very overhyped and overratated for how many kids ooo and awww over it.

Thankfully though since launch Inquisitors popularity does seem to have fallen as people realize there are better stories to be told in the Swtor game and peoples obsession with lightning/evil=cool seems to have faded.
    You were actually surprised by that Trooper twist? I saw it coming from the start(maybe if I didn't already know that none of those dudes were my companions it woulda been more surprising), then the rest of their story is one of the most boring stories I've ever played, in any game. Inquisitor story is much, much, MUCH better(betrayal was expected, but the rest of it was one of the cooler stories, certainly tops trooper and at least the first 2 acts of the agent story). And for the second time, assassins barely use lightning and even THEN only Darkness uses it, so I wish you'd quit linking inquisitors with "lightning=cool", since assassins are inquisitors too, and if you're playing an assassin you won't even be USING lightning if you spec Madness or Deception, and you won't be using it as Darkness till level 37(and only with 3 stacks of Harnessed Darkness then).

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You were actually surprised by that Trooper twist? I saw it coming from the start(maybe if I didn't already know that none of those dudes were my companions it woulda been more surprising), then the rest of their story is one of the most boring stories I've ever played, in any game. Inquisitor story is much, much, MUCH better(betrayal was expected, but the rest of it was one of the cooler stories, certainly tops trooper and at least the first 2 acts of the agent story). And for the second time, assassins barely use lightning and even THEN only Darkness uses it, so I wish you'd quit linking inquisitors with "lightning=cool", since assassins are inquisitors too, and if you're playing an assassin you won't even be USING lightning if you spec Madness or Deception, and you won't be using it as Darkness till level 37(and only with 3 stacks of Harnessed Darkness then).
    Well if I can go back in time and could not hear the 1000s of kids with the mindset of Inquisitor=Lightning=cool then I would stop mentioning it but almost every other time I heard someone praise the Inquisitor I would always hear the same things; Lightning is cooler then everything the equivalent consular has, "letting loose" and being evil is fun, Inquisitors gear is the best looking. If people didn't always mention those things while singing the praises of Inquisitor then they wouldn't have influenced my opinion of them. But people have constantly said those things and they have influenced my opinion on how overrated they are.

You may think that I'm the one stuck on the lightning thing but the fact is I'm only stuck on complaining about it because most of the Sith players were stuck on it and can't shut up about it. Or at least they couldn't all the way up till launch and for awhile after it. You actually seem to be stubborn on fighting me on that point even when I'm saying that the obsession is fading.

I also disagree that the rest of the story besides the constant betrayal is very interesting.

So any character that isn't a companion you expect to betray you? Maybe you have been too sucked in by the Inquisitor/sith stories. I also didn't state that the Trooper story was all that amazing just that the one betrayal involved in it was better then any of the crap Inquisitors have to go through.

IN MY OPINION I still think that the Inquisitor story is not well done and the class in aesthetics, gameplay and story is overrated as a whole. That is the point of this thread and that is my opinion on the matter. No matter how many times you get worked up over when I mention how people mention lightning and if YOU enjoyed the story isn't going to change my opinion of Inquisitor being the most consistently overrated class in my opinion. In fact your devout defense of the class pretty much validates to me how overrated the class is.

i actually disagree about sith inquisitors...ive enjoyed the story from the very beginning, regardless of how obvious it was at times. all blasphemy aside, my vote for over rated is imperial agent. without giving out spoilers, i was extremely disappointed at the end of ch.1 when i felt my (LS) choice was all for nothing...i felt not only unrewarded, but to a lesser extent punished. i liked the prelude and everything leading up to the end of ch.1, where for me the story became one boring betrayal after another.
    Which goes to show why you must finish the story before you understand WHY are they so awesome.

As far as agents go, all of the prelude and Chapter 1 are fairly unimpressive, they seem like your average Tom Clancy novel with the added sith element thrown in.

Its after Chapter 1 that the REAL story of the agent starts. Whereas all of chapter 1 was about chasing a lame terrorist cell (and one that was a pawn of a sith lord all along) and the twist didn't came as any shock, Chapters 2 and 3 have these gems:

(Warning: HUGE SPOILERS FOR THE AGENT STORY)

It starts with You being ordered to infiltrate SIS, the Intelligence agency of the republic, in order to get close to its leader, and kill him. So you're now playing Double-Agent for the empire, however, as soon as you complete your infiltration and establish your cover story, and you meet your new team of republic "Buddies" there comes the barrage REAL twists that will come out of nowhere and will hit you in the face without remorse.

Twist 1: You are brainwashed! o_O Yeah, at some point they hardwired your brain to respond to the codephrase "Onomatophobia" and anyone who says that word can effectively turn you into their obedient little puppet. Its even reflected in the dialog wheel too.

SIS Leader: You will obey me now:

Your options in the dialog wheel:

Option 1: "SOMEBODY HELP ME!"
    Option 2: "How are you doing this?"
    Option 3: "I'm gonna kill you for this!"

Regardless of what you choose, your verbal response will be "I will obey my lord". Showing that your mind belongs to you, but your actions belong to whoever is pulling your strings. Worst part is, you can't tell anyone about the brainwashing, and you still gotta complete your mission despite the brainwashing.

It includes some truly chilling and horrific cutscenes showing your sanity eroding, such as at the end of taris, and to make it worst, you start hallucinating with the post-humous ghost of Watcher X giving you advice on how to break your brainwashing.

Now, that alone is enough to qualify as a FANTASTIC plot twist, specially because it comes out of NOWHERE, and its brutally effective. But nope, the twists don't stop there.

After the end of chapter 2 comes this gem:

The SIS has been seeking the Shadow Arsenal: a collection of undetectable high yield warheads. One of your new Republic "Friends" Hunter (The one who "Recruits you" into SIS) is actually a mole for an organization that he claims will triumph over both the Empire and Republic.

Wait, it gets better.

during all of act 3, Hunter is your arch-nemesis, and he will hound your every move, but that's not all

Hunter's organization is the Star Cabal: a Ancient Conspiracy Illuminati-like group founded 1000 years ago to prevent a second war between the Republic and the Sith by ensuring that the two nations never come in contact with one another. When analyzing data recovered from the Star Cabal's vault on Belsavis, the former Watcher Two/current Keeper is rendered comatose.

Then comes another big one at the end of the Voss planet

The true reason that the Voss have remained neutral is that they have allied with the Star Cabal, as the Cabal has promised to destroy the Empire and the Republic within the next few decades, ending the two superpowers' interference in Voss affairs. Imperial Intelligence is disbanded by the Sith, who aren't amused to learn that the current Keeper is comatose and that the agency has been exerting so much effort into hunting an organization whose existence can't be proven.

And it all comes to a crash at the ending with these gems

The Star Cabal's goal was war all along, and after you take out ALONE their inner circle (made of the most influential nobles of republic and empire both) you save THE ENTIRE GALAXY (Republic and empire both) from their actions, and use something called "The Black Box" to erase any trace of your existence, so you can do.......... well it depends on your alignment. Light-sided people can choose to defect to the republic, using the black box to erase all traces of their existence so they can reform the empire from the shadows.

Not only that, the Star Cabal's Inner Council is made of characters from every other storyline from the rest of the classes, and the cherry on top? Hunter, who is your nemesis during the whole story, and who hounds your every move during the whole game and serves as the final boss, IS A WOMAN THE ENTIRE TIME. His face, and voice were the product of an advanced holographic tech (Seen in action on Tatooine with "The Old Man")

How's that for plot twists?

And BTW, that was the whole story of the agent in broad strokes, skipping over like 80% of the whole thing. All in all, there is a very good reason the agent story is so lauded as the best one in the game.

i play both sniper and operative, i love my sniper again (got boring briefly mid 20's to mid 30's), but cant bring myself to login to play my operative (level 33) other than crafting gear for alts (she's my cybertech). ordinarily im not one to complain about classes being 'broken', but its just unplayable for me now...cant do anything well, the tactical advantage mechanic was interesting initially but now is a pain in the ass, combined with sub-optimal dps and mediocre healing are'nt what i consider fun.
    On this we gotta agree. I HATE the crippling dependance on Tactical Advantage on ops to do EVERYTHING. It makes the class a pain in the ass. I find my sniper kinda fun, but Marauder is far far more fun. Currently, I'm only playing my sniper because I wanna finish the story (A friend of mine told me the plot and I saw a lot of youtube videos about it but haven't actually played it yet)

Well if I can go back in time and could not hear the 1000s of kids with the mindset of Inquisitor=Lightning=cool then I would stop mentioning it
    Please don't do that.

Don't just dismiss an opinion you happen to disagree as if it was just childish, and product of hipster kids.

Like it or not, Lightning IS cool. Its one of the most visually impressive phenomenons in the world. Its what made viewers go "HOLY SHIT!" When the firebenders used it on Avatar, its what made Palpatine a memorable character (as well as his known quote on infinite power), its the main hook for shamans in wow, its the most visually impressive spell on skyrim, ect.

Then couple that with the fact that SWTOR has some really crappy-looking spells. Seriously, the heals look lame, the shadow-based attacks look like crap. Look at how in wow a Holy Pally can cast stuff like Light of Dawn, or Holy Light to heal you and it looks great. Then look at an op or trooper healing you and see how terrible it looks like. Inquisitors happen to have the one visual element that is actually impressive-looking, and its lighting. However Assassin's don't use it. They stab, not shock.

If you don't like lightning (and that's a very odd stance to take, as lightning is awesome) then that's your cup of tea, but please don't act all dismissive about it as if it was a child's play, because its not. Lightning is popular for damn good reasons, as is Fire.

Derah why must you tempt me with your spoiler tags why! A pox on ye!

not really...

Derah, you followed the exact path that i did from the sounds of it.

Agent story is my fav of them all.

I really hope that either; swtor starts gaining subs faster than losing them over the next 6 months
    or
    New mmos do the personal quest and moral choices thing.

Swtor has brought the RPG into MMO rpgs and it had better stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Derah why must you tempt me with your spoiler tags why! A pox on ye!

not really...
    Te-heheheheh.

Its just that Crimsonfiend was all sayin' Agent's have a predictable story, with weak plot twists.

To that I got 2 answers.

The first one, outline all the HUGE plot twists that barrage you without mercy on the agent story (seriously, the one at the start of chapter 2 is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE and comes out of NOWHERE AT ALL, with ZERO foreshadowing save for a very VERY cryptic line said by Watcher X on Nar Shadaa (and given how strange his entire dialog was, its very easy to miss)

My second answer is that (Whatever else M.Night Shyalaman may think) a story doesn't necessarily NEEDS a big plot twist to be exciting. All the betrayals on the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor stories can be seen by a mile away, and yet that's not the reason why they are enjoyable stories.

I think one of the biggest strength of the Agent story is just the shear amount of actual choices, especially comparing that to some other class stories.

Please don't do that.

Don't just dismiss an opinion you happen to disagree as if it was just childish, and product of hipster kids.

Like it or not, Lightning IS cool. Its one of the most visually impressive phenomenons in the world. Its what made viewers go "HOLY SHIT!" When the firebenders used it on Avatar, its what made Palpatine a memorable character (as well as his known quote on infinite power), its the main hook for shamans in wow, its the most visually impressive spell on skyrim, ect.

Then couple that with the fact that SWTOR has some really crappy-looking spells. Seriously, the heals look lame, the shadow-based attacks look like crap. Look at how in wow a Holy Pally can cast stuff like Light of Dawn, or Holy Light to heal you and it looks great. Then look at an op or trooper healing you and see how terrible it looks like. Inquisitors happen to have the one visual element that is actually impressive-looking, and its lighting. However Assassin's don't use it. They stab, not shock.

If you don't like lightning (and that's a very odd stance to take, as lightning is awesome) then that's your cup of tea, but please don't act all dismissive about it as if it was a child's play, because its not. Lightning is popular for damn good reasons, as is Fire.
    Actually I love Lightning. It's my favorite element. I actually don't like it when in some forms of media it is left out for lamer elements like wind or "wood". My favorite pokemon type is electricity, my favorite super heroes are Static and Lightning Lad, one of the most interesting part of my physics class was electricity and magnetism.

BUT as you yourself have pointed out this thread was about classes being overrated. And being hit over the head by 1000s of people singing the praises of Inquisitors who hadn't even tried the game when it was in alpha and beta testing beat the interest right out of me.

Inquisitors were topping polls before the game even came out. For quite awhile after the game came out like half the people on the imperial fleet were inquisitors. So many people deamed it the ultimate class so fast and when I tried to get an explaination of why most gave the excuses "being evil is fun" and "Lightning". The obnoxious people falling over themselves to proclaim the greatness of inquisitors really set me off.

I played the first chapter in beta and was not really impressed. As I have said, the plot at that point was very predictable and what I saw of the 2nd chapter was pretty standard/boring.
    I did eventually play one to 50 on live servers and it certainly did not live up to the ungodly hype it got for such a long time.

Now, like I have already said, it's hype has died down quite a bit in recent months (I think because people have calmed down and found some of the much better stories) but for the longest time it was just far too annoying hearing even one more person saying it was so awesome. But that is why, for me, it has almost definitely secured it's spot as the most overrated class of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Te-heheheheh.

Its just that Crimsonfiend was all sayin' Agent's have a predictable story, with weak plot twists.
    My agent is mid-Voss, and I didn't feel like doing the old slash & stab for a bit, so I've been leveling my Warrior.

The agent storyline, IMO, isn't bad, but it IS incredibly overhyped in a lot of threads. The storyline itself might not be so bad in a stand alone game, but since you're doing the same world quests as everyone, it doesn't sync very well. The story should have been written to explain why you're posing as/ operating as republic allied while freely walking around Imperial outposts and gunning down the republic types all willy nilly.

For gameplay wise, I'll tag along with the Inquisitor stuff. I have a sorcerer at 50, and like the character and liked the plot and all that, but lightning is so underwhelming and the lack of variety, bleh. I'll stick with my sage's variety of sounds/imagery.

Are operatives/scoundrels still hitting like wet noodles? Left before the en mass nerfs.

I'll have to go with Sents and Maras.

I actually main a Sent and have since EGA. Rerolled a Mara on Fatman a while back and she's like 45 or something. I love the class if you can't tell.

But it's terribly over rated. Not because it's not as good as so many seem to think, but because it's been good. A lot of players rolled the class for the wrong reasons and weren't expecting all of the buttons and the squishinest (that comes with being dps...). These players took to the forums in droves and created the false hype that Sents/Maras sucked.

Well five months and two content patches later (neither bringing very huge class changes) now everyone hates Sents/Maras not because they suck, but because they melt half the WZ. And of course now everyone wants to roll one, and that's ok. What's not ok is how many people are rolling this class thinking they can fotm tot he top and bust like a milli damage in a single WZ.

/rant

Well if I can go back in time and could not hear the 1000s of kids with the mindset of Inquisitor=Lightning=cool then I would stop mentioning it but almost every other time I heard someone praise the Inquisitor I would always hear the same things; Lightning is cooler then everything the equivalent consular has, "letting loose" and being evil is fun, Inquisitors gear is the best looking. If people didn't always mention those things while singing the praises of Inquisitor then they wouldn't have influenced my opinion of them. But people have constantly said those things and they have influenced my opinion on how overrated they are.

So any character that isn't a companion you expect to betray you? Maybe you have been too sucked in by the Inquisitor/sith stories. I also didn't state that the Trooper story was all that amazing just that the one betrayal involved in it was better then any of the crap Inquisitors have to go through.
    I've been reading this forum regularly since February, and off and on before then. The "inquisitor=lightning=cool!!" mindset has NEVER been as present as you're making out to be, because, even from the start, fully one half the class barely uses the lightning. Sure, a lot of people say lighting looks cooler than the consular's pebble throwing, but do you really disagree with that assessment? TK Throw has got to be one of the worst animations in game, and THAT is the one that most often gets mentioned alongside lightning(since it's the equivalent).

And umm, lol I did the trooper story before the inquisitor story. It was pretty clear from the game mechanics that you're not going to have a)an entire team of actual combat operatives as your allies(and squadmates, no less) AND an entire team of combat operatives as your companions. So, they are either going to die or betray you very early on. And there's enough hints dropped as to which one it's gonna be. Anyways, are you sure you even finished the Inquis storyline? Cause there's only one major "betrayal" in it, and that happens at the end of act 1, it's not like it's betrayal after betrayal as you seem to be implying. The later acts are about gaining power to defeat your new rival, and then trying to control that power when it gets out of hand, before finally mastering the power and defeating your rival.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Are operatives/scoundrels still hitting like wet noodles? Left before the en mass nerfs.
    concealment got Evelyn'ed.

However, lethality is pretty brutal.