Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thinking about joining rift

With the potential to lose my wow account forever over some false positive crap from their automated system, I'm looking into coming to rift, Is it worth playing? Are there lots of people playing or is it like dead in the water like Swtor. What about class choice, I liked the look of paragon, but I cant help but fear there is massive imbalance in the classes since its still a new game with a crap ton of class choices.

I recently started playing Rift after getting bored of WoW and other MMOs while I wait for Guild Wars 2 to come out, and so far I'm enjoying it. Can't say much about class balance, as I haven't really gotten far enough to judge, but I'm liking it. And the amount of content that they put out is admirable. They certainly push more out than Blizzard. It's impressive.

If you played Rift in a complete social/media vacuum, you'd never know it was a newer game. It doesn't currently have 50 continents to explore and 10 years of content, but all the major features (save Arena & rated BGs) are there.

There's always going to be flavor-of-the-month builds/specs, but outside of Official forum whines, you wouldn't know you're OP or UP.

Rift is Free to Start for the first 20 levels, give it a go. You've got nothing to lose but maybe 10 gigs of storage space.

arenas and bgs are the least of my concerns, I dont pvp much at all. I'm a primarily pve player.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefroz View Post
    arenas and bgs are the least of my concerns, I dont pvp much at all. I'm a primarily pve player.
    I think you will like Rift.

Deleted
    PVE and raiding in specific is the strong point of RIFT. They release so much content in so little time. And their bosses are pretty decent aswell

Deleted
    I started a couple of weeks ago, and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. Give it a try. It's cheap.

Deleted
    Everyone I know that played quit after 2months at most. So worth playing for temporarily having fun/passing time

That is from a PoV looking at my mates. I personally quit after hours of playing so can't say too much on the matter
    Last edited by mmoc9e94235ac9; 2012-06-17 at 06:17 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I resubbed yesterday, I had place $15 down at Gamestop to pre-order Guild Wars 2, but I took down that pre-order and bought a 30 day game time card! ^_^
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

hrmmm thanks for the input guys, i think i might try, any class suggestions the talent trees from the trial seem a lil complicated but thats not necessarily bad.

They look confusing at first but once you read through them you realize they aren't that bad and once you actually find the role you enjoy it flows nicely at max level.

hrmmm thanks for the input guys, i think i might try, any class suggestions the talent trees from the trial seem a lil complicated but thats not necessarily bad.
    Whats your playstyle. Pretty much every class has a way to fit into any given playstyle so its a matter of pinpointing that and then Any of the Rift veterans can tell you what souls will get you there.

Deleted
    The leveling experience in RIFT from 1-50 is mostly to be honest about playing around with all the different souls and see'ing how they work and what you like, once you hit level 50 then ill be able to point you in the right direction for a 'High Performing' Endgame spec =)

1.9 is about to be released too (This week or next I believe) with a few added things for leveling. Lower level instant adventures, which are you click a button and it puts you in a raid group and are given quests to complete with them automatically in the zone. Mentoring is being added too if you have any high level friends that play rift. They can lower down to your level to play with you and get rewards for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    Whats your playstyle. Pretty much every class has a way to fit into any given playstyle so its a matter of pinpointing that and then Any of the Rift veterans can tell you what souls will get you there.
    I'm used to playing a Dk on wow, I have experience playing Ele Shaman, Shadow Priest, and fire mage as well.

I have played a few levels as the knight not a fan of the Focus/Action point or Combat point system however it is called in rift.

I'm used to playing a Dk on wow, I have experience playing Ele Shaman, Shadow Priest, and fire mage as well.

I have played a few levels as the knight not a fan of the Focus/Action point or Combat point system however it is called in rift.
    If you don't like the swords (combo points) then a warrior is not for you. It's similar to the holy power that paladins are saddled with in WoW. All warrior souls use those combo point swords. If you aren't a fan of combo points, then your only real choices are cleric and mage, though none play like the DK.

How does the melee cleric play Ive seen specs for it but i havnt gotten to try it.

How does the melee cleric play Ive seen specs for it but i havnt gotten to try it.
    Powerful in Single player, especially for soloing but not sure about dungeon/raid viability. Look at Cabalist also.

There are a few warrior souls that while they use combo points rely more heavily on their own internal mechanics. Void Knight is probably the best example. Reaver is probably most like the DK, or used to be. Trion has since made it into a tanking soul and I haven't played with it since to know if its completely different now. It used to be more about dot focus than combo point generation.

I was more in line with the fast pace of the dk resources.

I was more in line with the fast pace of the dk resources.
    Ah check out Void Knight then. I dunno what good builds would use VK, as warrior is about the only class I haven't spent a good bit of time on.