Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

My computer and GW2

hey guys, wanna know if my crap computer has enough "power" to handle GW2, wow ultra isn't a problem, rift just a little bit..

data:

windows7 64 bit
    4 gb ram
    ati radeon 5750 hd mit dx11 unterstützung
    intel core2 duo E7300 @2.66 ghz
    motherboard: MS-7514

please tell me if there's any info missing, while giving suggestions, can you asstimate how much those components will cost?
    thank you

You're def above the min reqs. I think the graphics card should be fine, and if you really want to upgrade something for this game it should be the CPU.

I have a 2.8 ghz quad core and I was running the game with every setting on high, but shadows off, and I was having little problems. Even in WvW with 50+ people around it wasn't too bad. My graphics card is a 6870 though, but the game isn't using the graphic cards very much yet.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-06-17 at 04:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It looks alright. Shouldn’t be causing many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Kargan View Post
    hey guys, wanna know if my crap computer has enough "power" to handle GW2, wow ultra isn't a problem, rift just a little bit..

data:

windows7 64 bit
    4 gb ram

please tell me if there's any info missing, while giving suggestions, can you asstimate how much those components will cost?
    thank you
    you should be able to run guid wars 2 on low-mid settings the only thing i would say holding you back is the CPU but it should still run it fine check out the site http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx and have it run gw2 to see how good u can run it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I'd probably avoid dynamic events and WvWvW, but the rest should run the game smoothly on lower settings. Like other MMO's it's going to be more CPU-intensive, and your processor is definitely a bottleneck at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    I'd probably avoid dynamic events and WvWvW
    So.. sPvP and that's about it? =P

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    So.. sPvP and that's about it? =P
    If there's a number of people there, probably. A 2.66 Ghz dual-core processor is going to have a hard time with a lot of people in the same area.

My computer stats are nearly identical other than I'v got an AMD equivalent to your processor. The game runs fine as long as there are fewer than 10 people fighting nearby. Framerate starts to drop noticably when there are 10+ folks fireing off spell effects, avoid the WvW zerg at all costs as 100+ in one area will bring your framerate to its knees.

Personaly I'm planing on upgradeing my motherboard, processor and memory soonish, next paycheck or two. I'm looking at geting a i5-3570K along with a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H, bout 350 bucks all told (have 8g of ram already they just wont work in my current MB)

PS badpalidan your avatar is downright creepy.

Who is John Galt?

Update Minimum System Requirements Announced

- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
    - NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    - 25 GB available HDD space
    - Broadband Internet connection
    - Keyboard and mouse

Quote Originally Posted by melody123 View Post
    Update Minimum System Requirements Announced
    What's changed from the old minimum system requirements? I only glanced at the old ones, curious if they raised or lowered them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Personaly I'm planing on upgradeing my motherboard, processor and memory soonish, next paycheck or two. I'm looking at geting a i5-3570K along with a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H, bout 350 bucks all told (have 8g of ram already they just wont work in my current MB)
    Buy a i5-2500k. More is overkill for the next 2 years most probably. 2500k runs smoothly on 4,6 Ghz per core. Every gpu you could buy will be most probably too slow for these CPUs. And so much cheaper

OT: For questing your CPU is sufficient (low to mid-detail), wvw won't work most probably because of too many effects and textures.

Deleted
    In the earlier stages, definitely not. However, with continued optimization by the company you'll be able to "cope". You won;t be able to run things on high IMO, and you really want to replace that CPU. I have a i5 2550k, 8GB 1660 RAM and a ATI HD 7970 XFX and I was having problems in the earlier testing stages. Didn't manage to get on to the most recent beta weekend, so I can't report back on updates with optimization.

Deleted
    What's changed from the old minimum system requirements? I only glanced at the old ones, curious if they raised or lowered them.
    Old system requirements:

Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or better
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon™ X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
    25 GB available HDD space
    Broadband Internet connection
    Keyboard and mouse

What's changed... ehm... you need 1MB more video RAM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kargan View Post

data:

windows7 64 bit
    4 gb ram

thank you
    If you want better performance for very little money, try overclocking the CPU, you should be able to hit 3.5ghz.
    Only upgrade you'll need is a $30 CM Hyper 212 CPU cooler or similar (performance, not price).

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    What's changed... ehm... you need 1MB more video RAM.
    Lololol. So basically, nothing's changed and it's a typo. Good to know, good to know. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Berkhtar View Post
    Buy a i5-2500k. More is overkill for the next 2 years most probably. 2500k runs smoothly on 4,6 Ghz per core. Every gpu you could buy will be most probably too slow for these CPUs. And so much cheaper

OT: For questing your CPU is sufficient (low to mid-detail), wvw won't work most probably because of too many effects and textures.
    Don't. The new Ivy Bridge cpu's are faster and cost as much as the old sandies. Go for either the 3570k (same price as 2500k) or the 3770k (100 euro more). Combine it with an asus maximus V gene and you've got a beast of an OC machine. Running my 3770k at 4.8ghz as stable as it gets.

OP, your pc will probably run fine on medium settings as long as you avoid crowded environments.

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnus View Post
    Don't. The new Ivy Bridge cpu's are faster and cost as much as the old sandies. Go for either the 3570k (same price as 2500k) or the 3770k (100 euro more). Combine it with an asus maximus V gene and you've got a beast of an OC machine. Running my 3770k at 4.8ghz as stable as it gets.
    Plenty of enthusiasts still prefer the 2500k over the 3570k due to heat issues when overclocking with the 3750k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenlol View Post
    In the earlier stages, definitely not. However, with continued optimization by the company you'll be able to "cope". You won;t be able to run things on high IMO, and you really want to replace that CPU. I have a i5 2550k, 8GB 1660 RAM and a ATI HD 7970 XFX and I was having problems in the earlier testing stages. Didn't manage to get on to the most recent beta weekend, so I can't report back on updates with optimization.
    You must be doing it wrong then ^^

I'm running 1st gen i7 920(stock clock) and old gtx260 with 4gb ram and didn't struggle anywhere, admittedly i didn't do WvW but a lot of BGs and 40+ ppl DEs

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    You must be doing it wrong then ^^

I'm running 1st gen i7 920(stock clock) and old gtx260 with 4gb ram and didn't struggle anywhere, admittedly i didn't do WvW but a lot of BGs and 40+ ppl DEs
    Un-optimized game client that runs differently on different setups? Must be a user issue! I mean, player A) has a better setup than I did but had worse frames. Is his brain broken? God forbid it's due to the game not yet being optimized for certain setups.

In other news, I'm on a 2500k @ 4.5GHz and a 560ti and the only time I dipped below ~30 FPS (including 100+ man sieges in WvW) was when I first started playing on day 1 and got out of the tutorial area. The ninja-patches during that BWE seemed to fix whatever issue I had there that had dipped me to 10FPS, though.

Plenty of enthusiasts still prefer the 2500k over the 3570k due to heat issues when overclocking with the 3750k.
    Not sure to what kinds of enthusiasts you refer, but buying a 2500k at this moment is a waste of money. The TJmax of IB's is higher and the 'temperature issues' aren't as serious as some try to make them. Sure, they run a bit hotter, but nothing that validates choosing a 2500k over a 3750k. If you purchased an unfortunate batch, you can always change the paste by removing the ihs, not a big problem if you're an enthusiast.

That said, the 2500k is a good cpu, but the 3570k is faster and has the exact same price tag. So yeah, why bother with a 2500k?

I ran GW2 in both betas on 3 machines. One of them was a 1st gen i7 940. Ran perfectly, no hickups, no lag, no issues whatsoever. Everything on max with framerates of 40 and above even in crowded situations.