Thread: DH Set-Up

DH Set-Up

My DH is almost level 60 and I want to make sure I'm building him correctly, in case I missed some information or w/e. I'm planning to use this skill set up. And for gear, what else do I want besides Dex? Just stack Critical Hit Chance, Critical Hit Damage, and Attack Speed? Or should I get some MF in my regular set of gear? Also, what mercenary is the best? I'm pretty sure it's Templar as it can act as a pseudo-tank with some CC, but are the Scoundrel/Enchantress better for damage?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...XVj!Yea!YccZcY

This is my current build. I am playing max damage and it works pretty well, the only downside is reflect damage groups =\

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...XVj!Yea!YccZcY

This is my current build. I am playing max damage and it works pretty well, the only downside is reflect damage groups =\
    Yeah, that's why I have Shadow Power with Gloom, it's basically a complete counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Celidion View Post
    Yeah, that's why I have Shadow Power with Gloom, it's basically a complete counter.
    You'll need more than just a 3 second counter for 14 discipline with reflect damage on inferno and the later acts. You likely won't be able to take more than 1 hit (until you have great gear) and the mobs have 1.5 million+ hp, i.e. you won't be able to burn them down quick enough before needing that discipline to run away via something like smoke screen.

Is the 10% crit from spike traps really better than increased hatred from the bat?

Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    You'll need more than just a 3 second counter for 14 discipline with reflect damage on inferno and the later acts. You likely won't be able to take more than 1 hit (until you have great gear) and the mobs have 1.5 million+ hp, i.e. you won't be able to burn them down quick enough before needing that discipline to run away via something like smoke screen.
    Well it's better than just skipping the mob entirely, no?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celidion View Post
    Well it's better than just skipping the mob entirely, no?
    Reflect Damage/Invunerable minions I just skip, its not that I couldn't kill them but it would take ages. You can spend your time a lot better killing easier elites.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishbowlz View Post
    Is the 10% crit from spike traps really better than increased hatred from the bat?
    I have 312% crit damage, so yeah, for me it is. I also use them for the slow with some of the faster mobs.

The 10% crit from trops gives me 11k damage =)

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been using the build you're planning to use since I hit 60, the only difference is that I use Caltrops with 2sec immobilize over smokescreen which allows for very good kiting. Since the nerf on smokescreen I haven't used it except for on Rakanoth inferno.
    It seems to be very popular to go max damage (crit modifier stacking) builds/gear, but I'm using more defensive gear which prevents any oneshot at any time while still being at 60k dps before sharpshooter. I got sick of being oneshot by every silly fireball or grunt so I just spend some gold and time focussing on upgrading more defensive stats over offensive stats to now have a very comfortable set of gear with which I can kill almost anything including act 4 inferno, except the really bad invulnerabe minion combo's.
    Glass cannon can be usefull at first, but when the grind begins and the deaths start piling up you'll likely want to get away from it, even more so if they are going to severely increase the repair bills in the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclous View Post
    I've been using the build you're planning to use since I hit 60, the only difference is that I use Caltrops with 2sec immobilize over smokescreen which allows for very good kiting. Since the nerf on smokescreen I haven't used it except for on Rakanoth inferno.
    It seems to be very popular to go max damage (crit modifier stacking) builds/gear, but I'm using more defensive gear which prevents any oneshot at any time while still being at 60k dps before sharpshooter. I got sick of being oneshot by every silly fireball or grunt so I just spend some gold and time focussing on upgrading more defensive stats over offensive stats to now have a very comfortable set of gear with which I can kill almost anything including act 4 inferno, except the really bad invulnerabe minion combo's.
    Glass cannon can be usefull at first, but when the grind begins and the deaths start piling up you'll likely want to get away from it, even more so if they are going to severely increase the repair bills in the next patch.
    What kind of all res/hp are you on? Been wanting to do the same on my DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenmojo View Post
    Reflect Damage/Invunerable minions I just skip, its not that I couldn't kill them but it would take ages. You can spend your time a lot better killing easier elites.
    So what skill would be better than Shadow Power, Caltrops? Torturous Ground Rune seems nice, but so does Bait the Trap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phishbowlz View Post
    Yes. It is so sexy, especially with a 2h crossbow and Archery.

Deleted
    I have gone glass cannon all the way, currently on Inferno Belial. 110k dps with all buffs up, 16k HP, about ehhh 30 resist I think.

Dex/Attack speed/crit damage/crit gear. 2H xbow with green gem.

LMB: Marked for death with mortal enemy
    RMB: Elemental arrow with Nether tentacles (can be frost arrow or ball lightning before lvl 59)
    1: Smoke screen with lingering fog
    2: Preparation with healing rune
    3: Caltrops with torturous ground
    4: Bat companion

Passives: Archery, Steady aim, Sharpshooter

I use enchantress for the knockback, aoe stun etc. Templar lasts about 0.5 seconds on Inferno.

keep your weapon up to date with as high DPS as possible and everything will melt before you.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    I have 312% crit damage, so yeah, for me it is. I also use them for the slow with some of the faster mobs.

The 10% crit from trops gives me 11k damage =)
    It would be better to use Sharpshooter passive then the traps. THe trap makes you have to stand still to get the buff and if it is only putting you at 11k dmg then its not much of a help. With 37k Base dmg I get up to about 70k dmg with Sharpshooter.

I don't use caltrops, i simply hate them.

Chain arrow + mines and tentacles do their gob really good. And an ice damage weapon
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I don't use caltrops, i simply hate them.

Chain arrow + mines and tentacles do their gob really good. And an ice damage weapon
    Unfortunately Ice weapons above 1k dps are rare, if not impossible to find

My favorite hatred generator is evasive fire with covering fire.

Evasive Fire can shoot through wallers walls, and many other obstacles, including around some corners. It's also helpful against missile dampeners (because there's no missile).

In inferno, you're probably going to end up playing glass cannon most of the time, so you're better off (in my own experience) keeping a broad array of offensive abilities, and then building secondary gear sets for different purposes. (I have a tanking set for my DH)

A good and extremely versatile secondary attack to consider is Impale - Overpenetration. It's really useful when you get all your ducks in a row, for example, if you can get a whole pack of healthlinked mobs lined up then it pretty much counters their effect.

It's also extremely useful against invincible minions, because it prevents the minions from soaking up arrows. (i.e. you can still hit the main guy even if he's at the back of the pack.)
    ^And for the same reason it's helpful against shielding minions, because if one of them isn't shielded you'll be able to hit him.
    ^It's also great for clearing a long hallway full of squishy mobs.

Downside, it's suicide against damage reflectors.

EDIT: Also if you're going to build a survivability set for a DH, Physical resistance is boss. You have the distance to dodge most magical attacks with ease, so it's the physical attacks that will be doing you in most often (like bosses that have teleport strikes)
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-06-18 at 10:31 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vryer View Post
    What kind of all res/hp are you on? Been wanting to do the same on my DH.
    Currently at 50k hp with 400 all ress. Still working on it since it's hard to find decent gear especially since the RMAH launch.

Deleted
    Just get a nice +700-800 LoH bow for the nasty reflecting bitches

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    My favorite hatred generator is evasive fire with covering fire.

Evasive Fire can shoot through wallers walls, and many other obstacles, including around some corners. It's also helpful against missile dampeners (because there's no missile).

In inferno, you're probably going to end up playing glass cannon most of the time, so you're better off (in my own experience) keeping a broad array of offensive abilities, and then building secondary gear sets for different purposes. (I have a tanking set for my DH)

A good and extremely versatile secondary attack to consider is Impale - Overpenetration. It's really useful when you get all your ducks in a row, for example, if you can get a whole pack of healthlinked mobs lined up then it pretty much counters their effect.

It's also extremely useful against invincible minions, because it prevents the minions from soaking up arrows. (i.e. you can still hit the main guy even if he's at the back of the pack.)
    ^And for the same reason it's helpful against shielding minions, because if one of them isn't shielded you'll be able to hit him.
    ^It's also great for clearing a long hallway full of squishy mobs.

Downside, it's suicide against damage reflectors.

EDIT: Also if you're going to build a survivability set for a DH, Physical resistance is boss. You have the distance to dodge most magical attacks with ease, so it's the physical attacks that will be doing you in most often (like bosses that have teleport strikes)
    If you get your ducks in a row, you would want to be at the other end of the screen with full SS buff up and you can get of 6-7 Nether Tentacles with 100% crit chance that can hit each target up to 3 times (465% weapon damage).....