Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is this word still considered racism?

Nigger, Nigga, Niggaz

And just about any version of this word you have heard / can come up with. Why is it still considered racism? I know it's origins to you won't have to lecture me there. I'm only interested in why the words are still considered racism, when they come out of the mouth of a white man.
    You hear black people using it on each others, all the time. In the streets, in movies, you name it. So if they are allowed to call each other this strong word, how can it still be considered racism?
    I would believe that it's connection to racism would stop existing as soon as the people who suppressed by this word, started to use it themselves.

So, why is Nigger/Nigga still considered racism when used from white people?

Deleted
    Because it's disrespectful and offensive to the person it's aimed at.

Because people love to cry about the past, gets them free shit

Connotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Flammington View Post
    So if they are allowed to call each other this strong word, how can it still be considered racism?
    Applies to all racial slurs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Unify View Post
    Because it's disrespectful and offensive to the person it's aimed at.
    Pretty much this. I'm surprised anyone has to even ask. Languages are always evolving, especially slang terminology. What once had a different meaning can quite easily shift to be an offensive, derogatory term - and that's exactly what has happened in this case.

Deleted
    The moment black people stop saying it themselves I'l stop using the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
    Because people love to cry about the past, gets them free shit
    Yep.... doesn't affect people in this generation - still moan and get free stuff.
    Same with illegals, but a different situation.

Why don't gay people call each other faggot then? By that logic, people with down syndrome should go "sup my retard" in special ed classes... Makes no fucking sense.

If saying niggah to someone is racistic , then why isnt racistic to say white trash to someone , or w.e ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't gay people call each other faggot then? By that logic, people with down syndrome should go "sup my retard" in special ed classes... Makes no fucking sense.
    Gay people do call each other faggot.

Deleted
    Exactly my thoughts. It's disrespectful as you people say and I'm perfectly aware of that. Regardless they use this word themselves constantly, without it having a negative meaning. So how can it be considered disrespectful anno 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    Pretty much this. I'm surprised anyone has to even ask. Languages are always evolving, especially slang terminology. What once had a different meaning can quite easily shift to be an offensive, derogatory term - and that's exactly what has happened in this case.
    Instead of teaching the young generation what's offensive, how about we teach them how not to take offense to everything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Black people and white people both commonly use the word "nigga" when referring to close friends. For example I hear this all the time, from both blacks and whites: "wassup mah nigga?" Racism isn't alive in words, it's alive in people. A "word" can't be considered racist when it has several friendly meanings. It's just like the "F word". It can be used in many ways, such as "wanna fu**?", "fu** you!", and "fu** off". All three have different meanings, one sexual, one hateful, and one aggressive.

The word is only racist when used in a racist way, to insult or belittle an african american.

I apologize if any content in this post is against the rules in any way. I assure you I don't intend to offend anybody or break any rules. I just found this to be the easiest way to get my opinion across.

I can see this thread going on for 10-35 pages.

What world do you live in. I hear homosexual individuals at my job call each other faggot all the time.

It's only racist if you say it as Nigger with emphasis on the er. If you say it like yea nigga like nigg-ah then it's not racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    If saying niggah to someone is racistic , then why isnt racistic to say white trash to someone , or w.e ?
    It is racism to call Caucasian people white trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Gay people do call each other faggot.
    Then they shouldn't be surprised if others use that term too.

Why is it that you never hear white men drumming up this much "concern" about not being able to say "bitch"? Given how much women call themselves that as a term of endearment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Yep.... doesn't affect people in this generation - still moan and get free stuff.
    Same with illegals, but a different situation.
    Not entirely sure how the word OP mentioned has anything to do with "getting free stuff". On the bottom line, it's offensive. Not all black people use that word in reference to their race, in the same way not all girls call their friends whores and sluts as a joke. In general, it's offensive. Situationally, it might not be. Doesn't change a thing.