Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

School suspends teacher for giving out zero's

On missed assignment. If a student did not turn in an assignment, the teacher gave them a zero, while the schools policy for ALL MISSED WORK was to give them a chance to make it up.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/can...156354995.html

So instead of preparing students for the real world, where there complete lack of respect for the work that needs to be done will get them fired, they want to coddle the kids so there self-esteem is not hurt? Oh, I slacked off and did not do my homework; that's ok, I'll just get a make-up assignment since I cannot get in trouble for it anyway!

Could you imagine if you applied that to say your job? Working in an office where I have very tight demands on my schedule, I know full damn well that self esteem be damned, if I do not get my work done properly there will be consequences. Apparently this school believes that there should be no penalties for being a no account bum.

Deleted
    That is one crappy school policy.
    Just wow.... respect for the teacher though.

Deleted
    The education system has always been a joke, as far as I'm concerned. It may have once prepared people for the real world, but anything of substance was taught to me by friends and family or through personal research.

people thinking school ever prepared anyone for the real world

lol.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only in America...oh wait... this is Canada... OK I'm all kinds of confused. Ya... you would be put on probation immediately, or fired if you slacked in your work and did not comply with time tables

I always wish I was attending school now then in the past.

Education system only prepares you for the social real world, groups, cliches, injust, blind hate, etc. Teaching literal thought is almost non-existent because parents want to ban shit and sue schools all the time. Also, don't feel bad for that teacher, if I went into work and did something against policy, be it right or not, I would get suspended or fired. It is sort of how shit works. The rules and policies of a job place don't have to be logical or democratic, you choose to follow them by being employed despite how foolish they seem. Don't like the policy get it changed or get another job.

btw education paid for by taxes that most people vote against because, my only guess is people have no concept of how taxing works, isn't going to be very good. Then again people hate shitty roads, like firemen, dislike slow state construction, enjoy police (that might be an oxymoron), etc but they don't like taxes. Always confused me, I want things but I don't want to pay for them.

Heh... thumbs up for the teacher, thumbs down for the principal. Grow up, kids. If you miss something as an adult, you take responsibility for that. They would still have to make up for it, but get no higher than a 'close pass' grade.

Yes because being 12 and in school is the same as being 29 and employeed right?

This happened where I live and I did not know of this policy until then. When I went to high school (graduated 4 years ago) this was not policy and omg wow. That's pretty dumb. I completely disagree with the system but yeah, I can't really take pity on the teacher. Much respect to him though.

Oh yeah, and worst thing about the whole thing is that one of our major newspaper's headlines really made the teacher seem like a douchebag. I can't remember the exact headline but when I read it I assumed he was giving out zeros for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    Only in America...oh wait... this is Canada... OK I'm all kinds of confused. Ya... you would be put on probation immediately, or fired if you slacked in your work and did not comply with time tables
    Wait a second, America and Canada are two separate countries?

Ye, sadly too much emphasis is put on not making kids feel good about them selves, which is just setting them up for huge failures when the leave school.
    Congratulations, you've conformed to societies idea of a non-conformist!

Yet one more reason why my kids go to a private school.

10+ Year Old Account
    Schooltime is also supposed to be a time of development and enjoyment, as well as school being a place where children like to go. Being severely punished for missing an assignment doesn't improve this. It's entirely possible to fail the course if the student doesn't make an effort to show up for the make-up exam/essay etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tekoix View Post
    I always wish I was attending school now then in the past.
    I know right? with this, the whole "Bullies are worse then hitler" campaign going on, and the seeming lack of morals in the upcoming generation it would have been a hell of a good time to go to high school!

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Schooltime is also supposed to be a time of development and enjoyment, as well as school being a place where children like to go. Being severely punished for missing an assignment doesn't improve this. It's entirely possible to fail the course if the student doesn't make an effort to show up for the make-up exam/essay etc.
    Yes, because we should encourage people to not do there work, by providing a 100% chance to make up for it. Just like the real world do. School is not about enjoyment, it is about learning. Period.

---------- Post added 2012-06-18 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fiftyonred View Post
    Yes because being 12 and in school is the same as being 29 and employeed right?

I did not know there were many 12 year olds in a high school physics class.

Read that a few weeks ago. As a teacher (in Australia currently, but from Canada), I did find it ridiculous as well. Secondary school is becoming ridiculous. It's become somewhat unspoken in schools that kids that don't do work could, in theory, hand in one assignment for a subject ALL year and you could grade them on it so they get more than a 0. In the end, it's just setting them up for failure or dropping out when they hit 16. That said, I'm in a low SES neighbourhood and am lucky to have 1/4 of my class hand in an assignment on the day its due XD.

Deleted
    I don't see why teachers should be able to act against company policy without consequences. How is it a teaching method in any way to act like this: "You fail immediately if you act against my policy, but I should be able to disregard the policy set in place by my superiors"

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderofl View Post
    Heh... thumbs up for the teacher, thumbs down for the principal. Grow up, kids. If you miss something as an adult, you take responsibility for that. They would still have to make up for it, but get no higher than a 'close pass' grade.
    Lol doubt it. People are always saying adults do this and that. But in the end they still make up excuses and most hardly take responsibility. The teacher broke the policy of the school he is in the bad, I don't agree with it but hey ^^taking responsibility and all that.
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

"But I was prepared for that. I have 35 years (in). I can collect my pension."
    Man, this professor sure sounds like he cares about his students. "I can collect my pension." ...that's what you immediately think of? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    So instead of preparing students for the real world, where there complete lack of respect for the work that needs to be done will get them fired, they want to coddle the kids so there self-esteem is not hurt? Oh, I slacked off and did not do my homework; that's ok, I'll just get a make-up assignment since I cannot get in trouble for it anyway!
    Yeah, they're kids. I was a straight "A" student when I was a kid, and I learned nothing that translated into the "real world".

Could you imagine if you applied that to say your job? Working in an office where I have very tight demands on my schedule, I know full damn well that self esteem be damned, if I do not get my work done properly there will be consequences. Apparently this school believes that there should be no penalties for being a no account bum.
    Because kids take school seriously. Because not turning in an assignment always means they where playing CoD 24/7. Sometimes shit comes up that you aren't prepared for. What about a medical emergency? You'd get a zero. That's not how it works in the real world! Kinda hard to do things when you can't physically / mentally do them. You're also taking this to the extreme, as (most) topics on this site do.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I know right? with this, the whole "Bullies are worse then hitler" campaign going on, and the seeming lack of morals in the upcoming generation it would have been a hell of a good time to go to high school!
    What the hell did "Bullies are worse than Hitler" have to do with anything? Did you really need to bring up Hitler in your argument? What was that thing...something about after a certain length, you'll inevitably have someone bringing up Nazis? It seems that's pretty accurate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kuukl1 View Post
    I don't see why teachers should be able to act against company policy without consequences. How is it a teaching method in any way to act like this: "You fail immediately if you act against my policy, but I should be able to disregard the policy set in place by my superiors"
    The teacher shouldn't be able to act against a policy, which is also why he's getting suspended, point still stands that this is a horrible policy to begin with.

Deleted
    i was gonna say its only a school but noticed its High School so on american terms to british term its on college level and the teacher was right to enforce good diligence practice but wrong to not follow institutional policy where they work.