Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ishootblanks View Post
    do you know why people don't usually have pet Lions instead of your standard house cat?

because they are dangerous..
    A man with a sword that knows how to use one is much more dangerous than a man with a gun that doesn't. Synthaxx is right - the problem with dogs are the owners. An owner looking for a dog to protect himself will generally go for dogs of certain breeds over others. With the right amount of intent you can make nearly any animal vicious, but some quite clearly are already genetically pre-disposed to be better at it than others, given the right (read: wrong) training.

do you know why people don't usually have pet Lions instead of your standard house cat?

In 100% of cases, say where a child is attacked by a dog there is one common denominator:

The childs parents clearly aren't taking responsibility. You don't allow a child to play unsupervised with ANY PET, that includes fluffy little kittens, for ANY length of time. That is just retarded parenting.

But the parents always get away from dog bite cases scott free, while the dogs (who don't know any better) are put down. The parents of the child, and the owner of the dog are the ones who should be put down for stupid shit like that.

Erm.

Lion = wild animal, never domesticated in the slightest.
    Pitbull = domesticated, completely trainable. Able to be vicious too, but only if the owner trains it to be (or mistreats it).

Your comparison is laughably ignorant.
    Last edited by Kisho; 2012-06-18 at 05:12 PM.

How many owners of Retriever's hunt every weekend? Herd with their Shepherd's? Need a personal protection dog (Doberman)? Not many...dogs aren't widely used for the purposes they were bred for hundreds of years ago. That's a crap argument. Also, if anyone has any sense of what it is like to raise a large physically/mentally strong dog, you realize how much more of a responsibility it is to maintain a dog like a Pitbull/Doberman/Rottweiler. Some dog's have more tendency to chase things and act aggressive, all of which can be maintained through early training/socialization. People so easily just say, kill this breed or that breed. We've all seen how the public's attention has gone from one breed to another. Some dog's just need more attention, it is the owner's responsibility. I have a feeling most, read again - most, people don't know what it's like to have this type of responsibility. I would have no problem at all needing a license for my Doberman, I have educated myself on what I need to do, and I know my dog...not many people can say that. Everyone has different interactions with dog's based on where you are from. I've had horrible experiences with....Labs, the most popular breed in the world.

Deleted
    I believe any dog should require a "lisence". Too many people just take a dog and expect it to be perfect and cute and cuddly and behave as they wish without putting any effort in it, without researching the breed they're taking, nor knowing how to train a dog.

Also about the more "feared" breeds like pitbulls, rottweilers, etc, some of the people that generally want this kind of dog do so just to "look cool with a badass dog" as in the perhaps a tad uneducated "fuck the world cause im so cool" kinda people that yeah...just wanna be cool. So, obviously they dont train the dog, if they do, its "sit", and that's it. They might also even be violent to these dogs that are naturally a tad more aggressive than other breeds thus making them more afraid / nervous of humans...and oh there we have another news headline of how a pitbull attacked someone. Oh my.

Of course theres bad owners to every breed of dogs, bad breeders, and just bad people in general. What especially annoys me are people that expect the dog to behave, like I said, especially around children. Instead of "training" their kids they just throw a fit if the dog gets pissed when a child starts pulling on its tail, disturbing it when it eats / sleeps, etc.

I myself was taught from a young age how to deal with dogs and what to do and what NOT to do.

I have 0 belief in "bad breeds", I believe there's only bad owners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Ask yourself what kinda person(s) that get a pitbull on average. Is it the young couple with a young child in a safe environment?
    Or is it the kinda of people bringing it into as you put it it depends on their environment though.

No matter what breed we are talking about the most likely ones to lead to injury or death are the ones that:
    • Are bread for wholly or partially for fighting ie. strong bit, does not let go, aggressive.
    • Are brought into a unsafe<-->hostile environment.

Where do you think most pitbulls end up?
    Exactly, the problem is not really with the breed itself but how it is used and it is not used as the cozy harmless faimly pet.
    If we are to buy the arguments of pro-pitbull people we might as well say communism is great cos in theory it is damn nice and we can ignore how it actually plays out
    :S I can't really try to have any sort of a logical comparison of this to communism because 1) I don't know much about it, and 2) your sig makes it seem like you're probably biased on the topic.

Regardless, I think your idea that pitbulls are mostly bred for fighting and such is very opinionated. Unless you yourself work in the field or something, you probably don't have enough information outside of the media to come to a factual conclusion. Hell, the person that paints the apartments here lives on a small farm and has... I think she said seven pitpulls and some smaller amount of cats. All of them get along great, aren't aggressive and have been raised with her two kids since they (the kids) were infants.

I'm not trying to start anything for or against pitbulls. They can be as dangerous as a serial killer or as kind as a kitten. It comes down to how they're raised. We don't hear about how many people own them because they're great pets, good with their kids or whatever. We hear about them being bread to fight because it sells stories. Because they're good at fighting, we hear the most about them than other breeds causing damage.

Being scared by the media would be like me being afraid of my python because I've seen other things about snakes killing people. It's just an unfounded fear, but here I am typing this with my snake around my neck playing with my headphones.

I just don't think there's enough evidence to determine pitbulls as bad dogs or something to be reasonably feared, such as the media has shown.

pitbulls are just the latest "monster" dog. used to be it was german shepards, then dobermans, and rottweillers, and bulldogs.

Deleted
    Cesar Millan, while I know he's a bit of a fruit, but did anyone see the Pitbull Terrier he owned called Daddy?

Seriously, it looked like the most menacing dog in the world with it's cropped ears and huge chest. However it had never bit another dog or human, never shown any aggression, never answered him back, heck it even sat there patiently while other shitty dogs aggressively barked away at it.

A credit to the breed, shows what they can be like if properly looked after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesus View Post
    I have 0 belief in "bad breeds", I believe there's only bad owners.
    This is 100% my stance on it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Herald of the Titans
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    If that was you or someone you know, I'm sorry. That's a horrible thing to go through.

That said, it honestly could've been any breed of dog. Any large dog charging at you is going to be scary. It isn't the Pit Bull itself that is the issue. If someone wants to train a Chihuahua to be vicious, then it's going to be a hateful little shit (admittedly it won't be able to do as much damage as a Pit Bull, but it'd still bite you hard).

It's a vicious cycle, essentially.

1. People hear that Pit Bulls are a vicious breed because of number 3.
    2. People buy and train Pit Bulls to be aggressive because of 1.
    3. Pit Bulls attack people and are reported on because of number 2.

And so on it goes, round and round and round. Banning the breed will achieve nothing. Then the idiots who want to train vicious dogs will just choose a new breed (remember when Rottweiler's were considered the 'vicious' dog?), and thus a new cycle will continue.

Maybe Pit Bulls have the potential to be more aggressive than other breeds. There are certainly differences in breeds. But at the end of the day, it all comes back to the owner: if the owner wants a horrible dog to defend his property, he's going to make one regardless of breed. However, if the owner wants a loving dog and puts the work in, then a Pit Bull can give love in spades.
    this is the entire issue right here.. there is not a true breed of "pitbull" pitbulls are a crossbreed intended for aggressiveness and power..

Pitbulls have a higher tendency than other dogs to break and attack people.. and unlike most dogs.. they are incredibly powerful and when they bite.. they can break bone and their jaw muscles are so strong they effectively lock.. and the pitbull WILL NOT let go until it's knocked unconscious or can't breathe.. most other breeds can't bite and just hold for a long period of time.. they don't have the jaw strength
    the most beautiful post I have ever read.. thank you Dr-1337 http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post22624432

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the biggest problem with pitbulls is, that it attracts douchebags as owners. When I'm walking my beagle, I pay less attention to other dogs and more to their owners. However it's still a breed that was made for dog fighting. So the risk is much bigger. If you combine these two factors, the actual risk for something to happen becomes quite big. (if the owner is a douchebag, I'm not saying they all are)

The simple solution is a mandatory license, if you want to own a dog.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pit bulls get so much press coverage due to the fact that statistically they are responsible for more serious dog attack injuries than any other breed in the U.S. according to the ASPCA and Law enforcement.. So what does that say.. they are a dangerous breed that are in the hands of too many idiots who think it would be cool to own one. I believe that just like a handgun, you want something deemed dangerous, apply for license to own one and if it injures someone you are responsible for it...
    Should do the same thing with having kids..Keep idiots from owning one.

this is the entire issue right here.. there is not a true breed of "pitbull" pitbulls are a crossbreed intended for aggressiveness and power..

Pitbulls have a higher tendency than other dogs to break and attack people.. and unlike most dogs.. they are incredibly powerful and when they bite.. they can break bone and their jaw muscles are so strong they effectively lock.. and the pitbull WILL NOT let go until it's knocked unconscious or can't breathe.. most other breeds can't bite and just hold for a long period of time.. they don't have the jaw strength
    That statement right there proves how little people know. It's proven that the "Pitbull" does not have the strongest bite in the dog world. NO dog breed has a locking jaw. It's also not indicative of the breed to not let go until knocked unconscious, that's just silly.

personally I think pitbulls should be extinct.

not because of attacks or injuries.

not because of how dangerous they could be in the wrong hands.

but because they are so UGLY!

lol just kidding
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    In 100% of cases, say where a child is attacked by a dog there is one common denominator:

The childs parents clearly aren't taking responsibility. You don't allow a child to play unsupervised with ANY PET, that includes fluffy little kittens, for ANY length of time. That is just retarded parenting.

But the parents always get away from dog bite cases scott free, while the dogs (who don't know any better) are put down. The parents of the child, and the owner of the dog are the ones who should be put down for stupid shit like that.
    you sir has too much knowledge i personally thing pittbulls are ugly thats just me.....but you are right my parent has a cockerspanial when i was born idk how old i was but my dad tells me as a baby i grabed both its ears n pulled...so it bit me lolol i was at a party with soem firends when i was about 12 or so got bumped into fell on the on girls bed and her tiny ass dog bit my lip...lottta blood lmao i dont hate either dog...tho both are prolly dead as im 23 but i agree with every thing that if you dont take responsibility for your pet you shouldnt be allowed to have one
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Deleted
    Rottweilers, Dogo Argentinos, Dobermans, Mastiffs, German Shepherds all have a stronger bite force than a Pitbull Terrier measured in lbs.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2012-06-18 at 05:30 PM.

so the pitbull was "bred for dog fighting".. the irish wolfhound was bred for killing wolves.. why is no one afraid of them? well theyre cute and havent had a massive media smear campaign against them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    so the pitbull was "bred for dog fighting".. the irish wolfhound was bred for killing wolves.. why is no one afraid of them? well theyre cute and havent had a massive media smear campaign against them.
    I am very afraid of Irish wolf hounds... Those things are enormous. I have met a few though and they've had fantastic temperaments!

The best an anti pitbull site could come up with, was 31 fatal dog attacks in the US in 2011. (71% by pit bulls, thus 22 pit bull related fatalities) (http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2011.php)

In the same year in the US 32,310 deaths resulted from motor-vehicle accidents. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8G7PXT20120507) And sadly that's on the low side.

So do the math.

Shitty drivers are 146,863% more likely to kill you or your loved ones than pit bulls. Idiotic, unqualified, drivers are a fucking epidemic, needlessly slaughtering people, and yet drivers licensing standards continue to go downhill, while people focus on sensationalist bullshit like "Pitbull attacks".

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is don't let any sort of grown dog near children. When some dogs are startled, they lash out. That's a reflex, it cannot be changed but it can be stopped by not having a fucking dog around children.

Where I live, Wales, it's illegal to have a Pitbull. I'm fine with that. They can be the nicest dogs but they can also be the worst. I wouldn't feel safe if I had a young child and somebody with a Pitbull moved next door. I wouldn't hesitate calling the authorities. Do you think a Pitbull would hesitate killing something that could prey on its young? Pfft.