10+ Year Old Account

RP Question/Ideas - Alternative to the Light

My RP partner and I have come to a crossroads with one of her characters. A paladin who essentially no longer feels that the Light is her path. Her power and focus on any Light given abilities are diminishing, and she has no desire to face the Church to deal with it, and is considering taking time to re-align herself with something else entirely. Meanwhile, she's likely going to be pressured into either reconstituting herself back to the light, or finding an alternative (much like the blood knights have changed their focus to the sunwell, instead of the light)

Any interesting ideas for 'alternative' sources of power for a Paladin? I imagine that really all a paladin needs is conviction and willpower, and some source of energy. Arcane sources have been mentioned already.

Care to tell us her race? For Paladins that's rather important. But assuming she is a human, I don't really see much of an alternative if her faith is slipping. She can't really petition the bloodelves to access the Sunwell, only "alternative" would be there would be the N'aaru. But in the end they are only avatars of the same Power source I would assume. Another possibility would be to forcefully wield the light through a twisted faith. (Think Scarlet Crusaders) Just food for thought though.

I would advise against arcane sources, since they are a completely different source. Afaik, if it is still canon, the arcane energies are the remnants of the exploded well of eternity that spread Azeroth, and utilized differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    She is human, yes. And to be fair, the source and morals involved in attaining it aren't top priority. I figure, just as religion goes... Is open to interpretation.

EDIT: I should also point out that it really doesn't need to be canon, since very little RP actually occurs in game. Obviously anything that is would have to be modified so as not to be janky.
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-06-19 at 05:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lorewise, Night Elf Priestesses are much more similar to Paladins than to Priests (all that riding into battle heavily armored, being primarily marshal fighters, etcetera).

So Elunism is an option.

There's also the Naaru, as the gentleman above me said, but... That's a bit of an issue because the last people to use Naaru-light were bat-shit crazy and had one forcibly held captive so they could drain its power.

Tauren 'Paladins' get their abilities through a form of Druidism.

If you're willing to bend a little lore, there's more, uhh, literal options. My Rogue, personally, has put together an arcane spell that saps away darkness to power her shadow abilities. Never seen an objection to that... So there's that option, too.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

As far as I know, The effect of magic we know as Holy/light magic is only obtainable through Divine means. (The sunwalkers nature magic being partly divine.) But yes. the faith coupled is completely up to interpretation. You basically just have to follow you own code, which you deem righteous and just. Then this form of magic is still open to you.(popular example being the Scarlets) Maybe a lot of soul searching and an approach to a more Lawful evil oriented belief? It really is dependent on your character's life and what you want to achieve with the change. If your character has fallen from grace, A path as an ex-paladin would be more suitable imho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not disregarding your suggestions, more just discussing. I like to play with ideas before actually implementing them. Any thoughts on.. say.. Wanting to follow the path of Light, but also feeling that the common or established system is faulty, or misled. I personally would love to see or develop some kind of "Eclipse of Light" system and path for those who are righteous, but feel disenamoured with the current established system of faith.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's an idea... Develop your own new philosophy based on the Light. : o

I know my guild leader has something like that on an alt of hers. She holds a weekly light sermon thing, and her alt had to step in a couple weeks ago. Was actually pretty refreshing to see a different perspective.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I'm currently trying to get my thoughts on the matter sorted in a proper way. So to clarify:

Your character still believes in being good compassionate etc,
    but she still feels that the powers of light are forsaking her
    Aand she wants to somehow reestablish her connection to the light?

More details would really be helpful, if it is not too much to ask.