[Movies] Best single year of good movies

Hands down, best. Volume-wise, it had the most I could think of in any one year.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

10+ Year Old Account
    '85 was a good year, but looking back I say '82 wins. From a purely geek perspective.

Can't say right off since new movies will seem awesome and lose their luster over time.

Quote Originally Posted by alexbrown044 View Post
    I like The Avengers and thought this is the best single year of good movie and other hand mib 3 also a record breaking movie of the year.

-url-
    Well, I was going to say that it's silly that you list this year's as the best, when you only list Avengers and MIB3, but then I saw your blatant url advertising. So yeah. This year wasn't the best, and reported.

Now seeing a movie costs an easy $10+ for a simple ticket, no food or anything.
    What about accessibility then vs now. I dont have it like that to just blow money seeing movies these days.

I would have to say this year.
    I know this will get some flak from the die-hard movie fans but lets just look at this year from a money standpoint.
    Hunger Games, Avengers, Men In Black 3, and many other movies have already broken massive records just this year. Avengers will be one of those semi-timeless movies that will exist forever because it changes super hero movies really. Plus Promethesus was a marvelous movie, and expanded the epic Alien universe.
    Still coming this year, we have a reboot to the Spiderman franchise. The final Dark Knight movie which looks to be the best movie of the year to me. We have many comedies that have or will come out that look quite frankly to be amazing(Madagascar 3, That's my boy, Seeking A Friend for the End of the World, The Watch[A new Ben Stiller movie that looks funny!] etc.) Plus Rock of Ages which is done by the same director of 'Hairspray' so it will get a decent fanbase.
    Moonrise Kingdom right now has my bid for the movie of the year(For now, it may change depending on what else comes out.)
    We also have two brand new movies from Disney & Pixar, which will smash the box offices because... It is Disney & Pixar lets be honest. Brave from all that I have read about it seems to be shaping up to become something as great as Up was. Wreck It Ralph looks to be hilarious, and it will draw in a nice gamer crowd with all of the cameos from various games(Like Mario and Sonic and such)
    We have some crazy-ish movies that will do well overall such as Snow White & the Huntsman, Abe Lincoln Vampire hunter, and others that will spawn some nice fan pools and such. Abe Lincoln is sure to become an instant occult classic.
    As much as I hate to mention it we have the final (Thank God!) installment of the Twilight Saga which will sadly make loads of money.
    There are some great action movies coming out. A new Bourne movie(With a new actor, shaping up quite well by the looks of it) The Expendables 2 now with Bruce Willis, Chuck Norris and Arnold as main characters. Taken 2 with Lliam Nelson as the star again. That and a few others.
    We have two major flicks coming out for those who love to read. The Great Gatsby starring Leo. Decaprio. Then Les Meserables starring Hugh Jackman and other amazing actors/singers.
    We have Quentin Tarantino bringing out a new movie called "Django Unchained." a story about a slave who becomes a bounty hunter, which looks to be one of the best yet.
    The first part of The Hobbit, The Unexpected Journey.
    3D is starting to get to the point of 'Must have' in movies somewhat now. And we can expect some other titles to be re-made in 3D such as Finding Nemo this year.
    And that is just the blockbusters or the big name titles that will be great and draw in all kinds of people to the theatre. There are many I did not list that will still do great in the box offices and probably become major hits. I did not list any Indie movies really, because you can never tell with those.

Overall this year seems to be an amazing year for movies and I think that many people will remember it later on thinking of all the great things that came out this year. I have high expectations for it, and I really hope my expectations are surpassed because of how many favorites I have coming out this year. Basically put, this will be the best year in movies for a long time.

Deleted
    Best ? Probably not but I sure enjoyed 1999, saw all of these at the theater :

Fight Club
    The Matrix
    8MM
    Three Kings
    eXistenZ
    The Sixth Sense
    American Beauty
    The Green Mile
    Girl, Interrupted
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Star Wars Ep. I: The Phantom Menace
    The Blair Witch Project ( alone in the theater, movie started at 22h30 and I was 14, had to go home on my bike through a forest )
    End of Days

Cruel Intentions
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
    American Pie
    Blue Streak
    Dogma

and a couple more, list is split for obvious reasons

Deleted
    1974 was amazing:
    The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser
    The Godfather II
    Chinatown
    Lenny
    Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
    Young Frankenstein
    The Yakuza
    Phantom of the Paradise
    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
    The Conversation
    California Split
    The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    Blazing Saddles
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Dark Star
    Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore

1999, 1982, 1939 were also really great years.

10+ Year Old Account
    1994 was one of the best years.

We have also had some very good years recently, 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008.

1984 had a lot of great movies...

If Just one of the Guys isn't enough to seal the deal all on it's own
    This was a list of 85's that I thought were memorable, had significant sequels to, were made into theme-park events, or even some form of 'following':
    (though there were a few others, I just can't think of many more at the moment)

Back to the Future
    Goonies
    Weird Science
    My Science Project
    Cat's Eye
    DARYL
    Real Genius
    Young Sherlock HOlmes
    Cocoon
    Explorers
    Enemy Mine
    Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome
    Nightmare on Elmstreet
    Friday the 13th
    A View to a Kill
    Rambo
    Commando
    Red Sonjia
    Lady Hawk
    Death Wish
    Rocky
    Pale Rider
    Teen WOlf
    Fletch
    Clue
    The Heavenly Kid
    Care Bears movie!
    PEEWEE!!!!
    European Vacation
    Spies Like Us
    The Black Cauldron
    Jewel of the Nile
    Police Academy 2
    Once Bitten
    Porky's
    Transylvania6-5000
    Breakfast Club ("cult classic", just not mine)

** edit **
    While I do agree there have been many other years with movies far better than any one of these (arguably, of course), volume-wise, I don't see there being any single year with more GOOD (not meaning great or perfect) than in '85.
    Last edited by hythos; 2012-06-20 at 03:47 PM.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.