LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarJames View Post
    wow lots of ppl have aspergers: a few questions

are you able to work?
    do you grow out of it?
    isnt it like social anxiety?
    does medication fix it?
    wouldnt autism be the critical case of it?
    are you just self diagnosing yourself or do you truly have it ( coz alot of you are spelling it assbergers like south park)

I had social anxiety because of hearing others voices and thinking they were talking about me, grew out of it as it was in my teens early 20s but now im not as much bothered by relating to people

so i hope you people with aspergers get out of it by 25 or so... no?
    1. Yes, as long as you control the serious anxiety and depression that comes with it. The easiest way to control them is regular therapy (I was going once a week at my worst, now once a month). It just lets you work through everything because you do find large parts of the world incredibly confusing and very scary because of it. The first thing to do is realise that your anxiety is completely irrational, that for me was what let me destroy the anxiety.
    In fact personally I see my Aspergers as an incredible strength in the workplace because it lets me process analytical thoughts at an incredibly fast rate, learn new concepts in a flash and gives me a cool detachment which is required in a lot of professional situations.

2. No, you learn coping strategies as you go through life and through therapy, there is a real drive at the moment to catch Aspergers in children because if it is noticed early they can start teaching coping strategies through therapy right from the get go to minimise the possible dangers later in life.

3. No, social anxiety is a symptom of Aspergers which is caused by a lack of emotional intelligence (social anxiety can also have a million other causes). This is only the tiniest little slice of what makes up Aspergers though.

4. Yes and no, medicine can be used to treat the depression and anxiety caused by Aspergers but it does not fix any of the root causes. Personally I had a bad experience when on anti-depressants in that they made me even more "emotionally dead". They keep you "happy" but your range of emotions gets slimmed down even more which is not a comfortable feeling. Of course everyone responds differently to anti-depressants and really there is still very little understanding of how anti-depressants work in any sort of complex levels of mechanism.

5. Aspergers other name is "High-Functioning Autism". A classic Autism sufferer is a person who's brain has not developed intelligence (IQ) AND emotional capability/empathy (EQ). Someone who has Aspergers has a highly developed intelligence (IQ) often surpassing the average population by a long way but at the same time a very low emotional capability/empathy (EQ).

6. If you have depression/anxiety issues the first thing to do is speak to a first line healthcare professional about it, they can refer you on to the relevant services which can then give you a more thorough diagnosis. You cannot really self-diagnose Aspergers because a) the symptoms are incredibly similar to PTSD and it is highly unlikely unless you are trained to understand the differences you cannot really separate them, but as both have such extremely different root causes they both need completely different treatment plans. b) Aspergers is a highly complex difference and it is highly unlikely you can understand yourself to the level that you could self-diagnose such a complex disorder.
    Self diagnosis is for going "yes this is a blister on my foot, lets put a blister plaster on", it is not for "oh here is a highly complex and incredibly in depth mental difference, lets read some on-line resources and suddenly understand it as well as someone who has had 13 years training on the subject and has worked as a professional for X amount of years".

Aspergers is a lifelong disorder because it is simply the part of your brain which handles emotions and empathy has not grown properly and as such does not work to the level it should.
    Last edited by mmocccd4d485ac; 2012-06-21 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toator View Post
    I know that feeling man. I've taken just about anything you can name over the past few years, before landing on good ole standard issue Lithium. Which was what I was on a first, but it was somewhat lacking so they decided to give everything else a try before calling it quits and putting me back on it. Fun times....
    It sucks bro, tried lithium years ago, had a massive allegoric reaction to it.
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

I have central heterochromia. It means my eyes change in color the closer to my iris. My eyes are grey on the outside, then a ring of blue, followed by a ring of hazel, and finally a ring of gold around my pupil.

Not my eyes, but here's an example:

Aristor i gotta admit that is kinda cool but any down fall 2 it just a genetic defect with no real downfall i guess

I am pretty sure 80% of mmo-champion community has some mind of mental disorder. I mean, no sane person would ever play WoW tbh, not in 2012 anyway. I'm being completely serious about it.

and no, I am not sane.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    I am pretty sure 80% of mmo-champion community has some mind of mental disorder. I mean, no sane person would ever play WoW tbh, not in 2012 anyway. I'm being completely serious about it.

and no, I am not sane.
    I gave away my account. Does this mean I'm now sane?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    I gave away my account. Does this mean I'm now sane?
    You can never be "normal" again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, maybe.

There's a lot of shit wrong with me but I'm not about to give myself an excuse not to work on improving said shit.
    Garrosh did nothing wrong.
    #MakeTheHordeGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I don't know, maybe.

There's a lot of shit wrong with me but I'm not about to give myself an excuse not to work on improving said shit.
    Don't be an ass. I have asbergers and alot of other issues due to my childhood with it. I am working on improving myself right now. Those with asbergers or social anxiety will probably understand how hard the following is.

I now work 2 days a month at a place with 15-25 teenagers day one(am expected to be with them and of course all the video game noise) and i can sit out but am still required to deal with the kids on day 2.

I host an anime party every month which also includes having at least 2 stay the night(add in those two are female and i do not have any experience with females and yeah)

Now luckily everyone in those groups has a disability often asbergers and other forms of autism.

I also work with a guy at least 2 days a week.

Add into that being diabetic(working on cuting it and before anyone says anything it CAN be done just takes alot of work)

I have also recovered(by and large at least) from a panic disorder(got pulled over during my first panic attack soon after i got my license. am driving again after about 2 years. Those with panic disorders should understand this)

Now while this sorta life is easy for most for me i am stretching myself mentally and physically almost every day. Extending my limits as well.

No just having a disability doesn't mean you don't try to improve it means you may have other things to work on but you still try to better yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. I'm a mathematical savant.

I can talk to the Geth.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an extra ureter on my right side, but it doesn't affect me in anyway. Sort of just adds a backup tube for that kidney if anything goes wrong.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Don't be an ass. I have asbergers and alot of other issues due to my childhood with it. I am working on improving myself right now. Those with asbergers or social anxiety will probably understand how hard the following is.

I now work 2 days a month at a place with 15-25 teenagers day one(am expected to be with them and of course all the video game noise) and i can sit out but am still required to deal with the kids on day 2.

I host an anime party every month which also includes having at least 2 stay the night(add in those two are female and i do not have any experience with females and yeah)

Now luckily everyone in those groups has a disability often asbergers and other forms of autism.

I also work with a guy at least 2 days a week.

Add into that being diabetic(working on cuting it and before anyone says anything it CAN be done just takes alot of work)

I have also recovered(by and large at least) from a panic disorder(got pulled over during my first panic attack soon after i got my license. am driving again after about 2 years. Those with panic disorders should understand this)

Now while this sorta life is easy for most for me i am stretching myself mentally and physically almost every day. Extending my limits as well.

No just having a disability doesn't mean you don't try to improve it means you may have other things to work on but you still try to better yourself.
    Wish I had your strength. Personally I try to avoid socialization at all cost because I just can't take it, I can't do smalltalk at all so I don't even try as when I have tried it just turns out embarrassing. I do attend to social gatherings such as relatives coming over to celebrate say my sister's birthday but I feel really anxius, nervous and just plain out terrible throughout the entire ordeal, I also don't really say anything except hi and goodbye to them.

This doesn't mean that I'm not trying to work on my problems, I do, all the time. But especially when it comes to the social part, it's, at least to me, just too painful to work with. It's something I feel I will never really grasp, for example why people would want to ever attend to a party. A party is supposed to be fun right? It's meant for you to be able to blow off some steam and have a good time, at least that's how others have explained it to me. A party for me is a constant anxius and nervous feeling, being in constant emotional pain because I feel that I should be having fun but I aren't, I should be socializing with people but I can't, I can't say a single freaking word to anyone. Going to Gymnasiet (high school) was great fun...

Funnily enough my brother is having one today in the house while our parents are gone, even though he invited me and want me to attend I will probably not spend more than five minutes there, although I will try, for his sake...

If I were to choose my variation of party, meaning where I can relax have fun and blow off some steam, that would be being alone at the computer playing a nice game with friends talking over skype. I especially love my casual WoW guild for this very reason who I have been raiding with for the past three years I believe. That's my form of party.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-06-22 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post

and no, I am not sane.
    One of the cheapest forms of almost unlimited entertainment, and willingly paying for it, yeah that's totally crazy.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a pretty nice receding hair line and I am 18 ( Think 35years of age ) Thanks Dad and Grandpa <3

And had Depression for a while there too. Guess you could say its never really gone, but it has definitely RECEDED!

---------- Post added 2012-06-22 at 11:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I have an extra ureter on my right side, but it doesn't affect me in anyway. Sort of just adds a backup tube for that kidney if anything goes wrong.
    Sir that is actually quite awesome

/genetics win
    Last edited by Berteh; 2012-06-22 at 02:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Wish I had your strength. Personally I try to avoid socialization at all cost because I just can't take it, I can't do smalltalk at all so I don't even try as when I have tried it just turns out embarrassing. I do attend to social gatherings such as relatives coming over to celebrate say my sister's birthday but I feel really anxius, nervous and just plain out terrible throughout the entire ordeal, I also don't really say anything except hi and goodbye to them.

This doesn't mean that I'm not trying to work on my problems, I do, all the time. But especially when it comes to the social part, it's, at least to me, just too painful to work with. It's something I feel I will never really grasp, for example why people would want to ever attend to a party. A party is supposed to be fun right? It's meant for you to be able to blow off some steam and have a good time, at least that's how others have explained it to me. A party for me is a constant anxius and nervous feeling, being in constant emotional pain because I feel that I should be having fun but I aren't, I should be socializing with people but I can't, I can't say a single freaking word to anyone. Going to Gymnasiet (high school) was great fun...

Funnily enough my brother is having one today in the house while our parents are gone, even though he invited me and want me to attend I will probably not spend more than five minutes there, although I will try, for his sake...

If I were to choose my variation of party, meaning where I can relax have fun and blow off some steam, that would be being alone at the computer playing a nice game with friends talking over skype. I especially love my casual WoW guild for this very reason who I have been raiding with for the past three years I believe. That's my form of party.
    I understand what you mean man. Hell i originally had to rest for an entire day after working. So all sunday i would sleep. As time has gone on i've gotten better just go at you're own pace. Also trying finding other with asbergers if you have it as well it makes it ALOT easier.

And yeah the guy i work with is cool and we mainly just watch anime or go shopping. TBH i won't work with someone if i can't count them as a friend. But yeah just go at your own pace man. Took me almost 2-3 years to get where i am(panic state and the like included due to some things causing me to lose ALL self confidence).

But yeah i guess it also helps that pretty much ALL of my doctors both regular and my shrink say i'm unusually resilient. I mean hell i've gone from over 300 blood sugar to almost never hitting even 170(these past few weeks i've mainly been between 90 and 130 but not even 3/4 of the time yet) in like 4-5 months maybe 6 with NO medicine. Just diet not even exercise.

But yeah i mainly keep to myself when i can and as i said before while stressful and INCREDIBLY exhausting i am now prone to social addiction where i go through about 1-2 weeks of withdrawal.. Afterwards i feel GREAT though LOL. Which is why i term it an addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by redwitchy View Post
    I've had this condition for around 8 years, sadly no-one really seems to understand it. Mines located to the hair on my head.. I often have a lot of shorter hair or even bald patches
    Ya... I get that a lot. No one seems to know what it is, let alone that it is an issue. I get weird looks now and then, stares and whispers. Few even thought my gaps in eyelashes were some new fad >.<

Deleted
    imo i wouldn't mess with testosterone, messing with body chemistry isn't a good idea, and just because you may have low testosterone doesn't mean you cant build up musculature ? you may just have to work harder, i do feel for you though mate.

i have eczema, and von willebrands disease. probably have something going on mentally, but im too proud to go to a shrink.

I'm a genius, to an abnormal degree! I believe that counts! And exceptionally modest. :P

Aside from that, I have monostotic fibrous dysplasia of the occipital bone. It's genetic but not hereditary (ie, a genetic mutation that took place in cells during the embryonic stage in development of that part of my head). There are forms that affect the whole body, which are hereditary.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-06-23 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moderate obsessive-compulsive disorder and melancholic depression