Page 1 of 2
LastLast

EU 1.0.3 Barb first impressions

Not seen many useful posts so far on the new patch, so I thought I'd post my findings. I'm a barbarian in Act 2 inferno - yesterday I was doing 5NV->Zoltan Kulle runs without too many problems, but hadn't really tried to kill Belial.

My stats:
    9364 armour
    40k health
    28% block (4.2-4.7k)
    10% dodge
    Resists were 850-930
    around 9k damage.
    Build = http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...SXR!bdV!acccaZ

With the patch I've lost about 3-400dps, but I only had one item with Attack Speed - a ring with 15% (now 7%).

So this morning I've tried my farming run again (go to the Terminus, clear The Unknown Depths and The Storm Halls, then kill Zoltan Kulle). This was what I found.

First off, I was feeling a lot tougher. I actually swapped out a couple of pieces of kit and dropped 100 armour and 170 resists, but increased damage to 10.7k. I killed every elite pack I ran into without problems except one - Fire Constructs with Shielding Vampiric Nightmare Desecration. I took one look and decided I just couldn't be bothered!

With no deaths I hit 5 stacks of NV easily. I needed 6k in repairs, made about 36k in gold and vendor junk and about 14k in sharded stuff. So about 45k profit.

Having cleared those two areas I went to kill Zoltan Kulle, something I've not normally had problems with. I died twice. Somewhat surprised, I switched my gear back to the original stuff, and died twice more. Ported back to town to find a 16k repair bill (so 4k / death). That's brought my profit down to 30k - not much unless you find items that'll sell on the AH.

My initial impressions are as follows:
    1) Rares and trash are a lot easier.
    2) Bosses seem a lot harder, and potentially not worth the effort.
    3) If you're going to tackle the bosses, tank gear may be a bad choice.

I'm going to try an Act 1 Butcher run later, and will let you know how it goes.

Alie
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2012-06-20 at 11:05 AM.

Deleted
    Can i ask you what changed in the Zoltan fight? Did he seem to do more damage, use skills faster?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info Alie I'm going to try a Butcher run soon too on my Monk. I will probably be hit a bit more by the patch than you as I had over 2 attacks per second but I'm sure I'll live. Gonna give it a try after my lunch.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    Can i ask you what changed in the Zoltan fight? Did he seem to do more damage, use skills faster?
    He enrages which means that tank spec melee probably don't do enough DPS which causes more frequent cave ins for more damage. Furthemore he also seems to path better and you can't just take a breather anymore like before. That's what I read from patch notes at least.

I never farmed Kulle myself, but I did notice that he had a fair amount of updates in this patch.

I have been doing Warden/Butcher runs on my Barb and Demon Hunter post-patch, and things seem to still go pretty smoothly. However, I also didn't have many AS items, so the damage nerf didn't hit me as hard as some.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    First off he's almost constantly on you, so little chance to run and take a breather. Secondly it felt like he was using abilities a lot more often, specially the cave-in.

It felt like if you kill the constructs, he'll enrage. If you don't kill them, it's much harder to see the tornadoes, and they seemed more frequent and more painful.

I'll try him again later, after the Butcher run - wanna get some more cash for repairs first! ><

Deleted
    Sounds hopefull!! Still need to work, but deffo will try tonight

Deleted
    Kulle doesn't seem that bad after the patch, I can still kill him pretty easily, though one can feel he's harder. It was a suprise to me that I can't kill Belial though - before he was absolutely no problem, now I hit the enrage with him around 30%. And it covers the whole floor with those green circles.

So yeah, I agree bosses basically aren't worth it, especially now that A2 champion packs are kinda facerollish. Still getting stomped (or can't kill anything in a reasonable time with another build) in A3 though.

Monk BTW.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ralh View Post
    Kulle doesn't seem that bad after the patch, I can still kill him pretty easily, though one can feel he's harder. It was a suprise to me that I can't kill Belial though - before he was absolutely no problem, now I hit the enrage with him around 30%. And it covers the whole floor with those green circles.

So yeah, I agree bosses basically aren't worth it, especially now that A2 champion packs are kinda facerollish. Still getting stomped (or can't kill anything in a reasonable time with another build) in A3 though.

Monk BTW.
    Build? Stats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Just did a Butcher and Warden run on my Monk. Act I feels entirely the same, the only change I could detect was that Warden now has Desecrate and Molten but he's still a free kill. Overall the loot was better; a lot more rares and even had two ilevel 62 rares.

My Monk lost almost 2k DPS and went from roughly 12.5k down to 10.7k. The IAS nerf hurt but I didn't have any issues with enrage on Butcher regardless. The safe spot still works as well on Butcher.

act 3 was pretty tough b4 patch, things are a bit easier now. annoying packs are still annoying. fucking hate those morlocks and spear guys that basically spam u with ranged and then run away when u try melee them. if you are specially unlucky u will get ones that fear and leave poison puddles, fire, lasers so they just troll u till they enrage.

oh but some of the easier packs i can kill while dualwielding now lol, 1500 life on hit with both weps its kind of silly.

Okay, an update after the Butcher run - I killed everything except 1 rare pack .. all the trash, every container, every level. No quest on the bridge.

I swapped my gear round a little - went up to 11.2k damage, down about 5k health, down about 270 resists. Still an easy run.

Drops seemed a bit less frequent - I've always needed to empty my bags before entering the Warden's level, and that was with skipping mobs (I'd make a beeline for Butcher, just making sure I managed 5 stacks of NV). This time I didn't need to empty till just before Warden.

Overall for the run I made 83k gold (lost 8k from 2 stupid deaths) and I've 5 items which *may* sell on the AH; if they don't that's about another 6400g.

As far as rares and trash are concerned, it feels like resists have been devalued and damage is now much more important/useful. I suspect Barbarians are going to move away from pure tank builds and go for a more hybrid approach - time will tell, I guess.

Alie

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I noticed they nerfed the quest reward from completing the imprisoned Angel quest line. Where you would normally get 4800ish gold from talking to Tyrael, now you only get 800 gold.

its still fine for me (barb) still farming butcher runs without any problems, like in 1.0.2 ...

Deleted
    I am not sure if Blizzard is happy with this state of the game but at the moment the best way to farm is to start at the last checkpoint of the Act, go to the 1st waypoint and just do all the elites in the Act.

Skipping bosses while farming = profit (no real enrages, more loot). I'd never think this will become reality in a Blizzard RPG game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    I am not sure if Blizzard is happy with this state of the game but at the moment the best way to farm is to start at the last checkpoint of the Act, go to the 1st waypoint and just do all the elites in the Act.

Skipping bosses while farming = profit (no real enrages, more loot). I'd never think this will become reality in a Blizzard RPG game.
    Yet that is what they wanted. They wanted you the play the whole game on farming, not just bosses like D2. And thank god they did.
    @OP: I'm still fine with my barb. Sure I lost a couple thousand dps, but nothing game breaking for me. Rather the opposite: I was worried that it would get too easy. Got through A2 with only little farming.

10+ Year Old Account
    The good thing is, nothing is ever set in stone for a game like this. They are trying to promote more offensive builds. If they see people are skipping bosses all together because of the enrage time I would expect them to make changes accordingly. So far I'm having a blast with the changes. (WD here)

Why are people posting their experiences of act I ?
    Thats suppose to be nearly unchanged so not surprising that people say it feels no different ?

Just did 3/4th of act III.
    Where I just to struggle I could now stay alive most of the time,but having the most tanky build there is and my IAS nerfed to the ground I feel it took to long to kill a lot of stuff, will try a more dps-ish build by swapping around 1 passive for berserker rage and see how it goes then.
    With my shitty 14k dps, boss enrage timers of spider and azmo where no problem - keep in mind I do have wrath of the berserker though.

I like to farm both rares and bosses - are bosses so nerfed it doesn't justfiy the time investment? If they drop like the average rare, it's fine for me. Same drops for less issues
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveaux View Post
    Yet that is what they wanted. They wanted you the play the whole game on farming, not just bosses like D2. And thank god they did.
    They made that obvious enough with Nephalem stacks but the recent change they did (taking guaranteed rare from bosses and giving it to elites) literally makes zero sense. Bosses, the powerful, lorewise important characters are completely irrelevant and drop crap while randomly generated trash mobs hold the most loot.

I just can't wrap my head around this "logic"...

why does evryone use sidearm?

i find that skill quite useless .. but maybe i missed something :|