Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So, how do you make gold?

I'm sure there have been other threads about this topic, but I don't think I've seen one for patch 1.0.3 with the higher repair costs, destructible objects being nerfed, a lot of inferno being nerfed, etc etc.

So just curious how do YOU make gold now? Has anything changed from 1.0.2?

I've been making gold the same way for weeks, auction housing. Hell, I don't even play the game anymore, playing the Auction House is A) much more fun IMO and B) much more rewarding.

Nothing has changed for me. Even with the nerfs I still die a bit too much in Act 2 and the with the repairs costs, I'd rather farm where I don't die as much. Warden/Butcher runs are still good, I just changed what I do a bit. Since Champs/Elites guarantee a rare with 5 stacks now I still start at the cursed hold quest, but I go to the forgotten cemetary and check for Dev Hell, get as many stacks there clearing the crypts, then go to Leorics Manor and full clear to Warden, kill him and full clear to Butcher. In one run I got near 20 rares, 2 were good for my DH friend, a couple others sold well, I also got quite a few crap 60 rares that were turned into mats since BS is more worthwhile now.

Basically, the change got me to clear more areas and actually consider using the BS, which is good.

Farm Act 1. Stuff drops. Good stuff. Eventually. It's either:

a) Utterly destroy Act 1 and die on the rarest of occasions, killing stuff rapidly while knowing where a lot of elite/champions are and getting bags full of i55-i62 with the occasional i63 rares. 2% for i63. (Then go to Whimyshire for fun at the end! -i63 8%)
    b) Do ok in Act 2 but still die on occasion, killing stuff at a moderate pace but not knowing where elites/champions spawn too well. 4% for i63.
    c) Get owned in Act 3 but still be able to take down elites/champions slowly. 8% for i63.
    d) See c for Act 4.

Then AH it up. Stuff sells if you're patient. And not a greedy jerk.

FYI: I'm a Wizard with 21k DPS and 30k HP. I've always played without using Force Weapon/Familiar and half-using Glass Canon (mostly stick to Cold Blooded). Just need more HP and resists. Gogo survivability!
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-06-20 at 02:33 PM.

Deleted
    I did like 2 Butcher runs after I dinged and then turned completely to the AH, just like in WoW. I've made good 25-30mil over about 10 days. Bought gear, killed Diablo Inferno, sold gear for real money. Now I play HC very casually, the AH there is basicly dead, I'm able to make like 5-10% of what I'd make on softcore AH in the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    a) Utterly destroy Act 1 and die on the rarest of occasions, killing stuff rapidly while knowing where a lot of elite/champions are and getting bags full of i55-i62 with the occasional i63 rares. 2% for i63. (Then go to Whimyshire for fun at the end! -i63 8%)
    b) Do ok in Act 2 but still die on occasion, killing stuff at a moderate pace but not knowing where elites/champions spawn too well. 4% for i63.
    c) Get owned in Act 3 but still be able to take down elites/champions slowly. 8% for i63.
    d) See c for Act 4.
    Have to agree with this if you aren't already over gearing Act 3-4. Still doesn't seem to get me gold at a rate that compares to the prices of upgrades I need/want. I'm not that great at playing the AH (buying then selling for profit) as I don't have the patience to sit there and scan it for hours, maybe if I figured out a really streamlined/smooth technique. Either way still broke =P

Also, the repair change seems like a tax on the newer/more casual players. People that have millions wont notice it but I certainly winced every time I had to repair my gear last night.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Just playing. I rarely if ever find anything that sells on the ah, and when it does, it's for a pittance. Currently at around 120k.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    Have to agree with this if you aren't already over gearing Act 3-4. Still doesn't seem to get me gold at a rate that compares to the prices of upgrades I need/want. I'm not that great at playing the AH (buying then selling for profit) as I don't have the patience to sit there and scan it for hours, maybe if I figured out a really streamlined/smooth technique. Either way still broke =P

Also, the repair change seems like a tax on the newer/more casual players. People that have millions wont notice it but I certainly winced every time I had to repair my gear last night.
    The smart people will be farming act 1 inferno only now, even if you are geared for act 3 and 4, just the rate you can get through act 1 warden/butcher is far quicker!! and with the small % drop chance increase and the chance of dying more doesnt make it worth it.

For me I finished act 4 inferno this week so no pressure to do act 3 and 4 again. For those needing to do it, just farm act 1, when your geared enough just do act 3 and 4 once off for progression.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCast View Post
    The smart people will be farming act 1 inferno only now, even if you are geared for act 3 and 4, just the rate you can get through act 1 warden/butcher is far quicker!! and with the small % drop chance increase and the chance of dying more doesnt make it worth it.

For me I finished act 4 inferno this week so no pressure to do act 3 and 4 again. For those needing to do it, just farm act 1, when your geared enough just do act 3 and 4 once off for progression.
    Not only that, but MF gear swapping in Act I per the progression (some packs die so fast it's hard to swap) of how fast you kill things and how little damage they do is worth it. I've been able to time my gear swapping quite well and do so very quickly, jumping to 320% MF (5 stack) before they die. There is a noticeable difference, definitely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup all of my clears were Act 1. Kill Warden/Butcher w/ 5 stacks and chump the 3 elites in those tombs then reset.

Going to try ponyland just cause it's relatively DH friendly and You can build up 5 stacks before going in.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

I can no longer make gold. Everything in inferno mode 1shots me. Activision is obviously only interested in allowing people who use the RMAH to play the game, otherwise with no monthly fee, the rest of us honest players are leeches using their bandwidth and server hardware for free. What a cutthroat company they are. The concept of earning money by making a good product is either too difficult for them, or simply not cruel enough. They'd much rather strongarm their way to profits. It's too bad they bought Blizzard =(

1) Wake up early
    2) Work all day
    3) Spend some $$$ on the Gold-auction house
    4) ????
    5) Profit

Yup all of my clears were Act 1. Kill Warden/Butcher w/ 5 stacks and chump the 3 elites in those tombs then reset.

Going to try ponyland just cause it's relatively DH friendly and You can build up 5 stacks before going in.
    It's hard. It's not really friendly to any class to be honest; unless you glitch your way across elites/champions, you're going to have a 'fun' time trying to store them in corners, clear all the bears and flowers and ponies, then get back to them so you have the entire map for kiting. Last run I did, 3/5 of the packs had mortar, vortex, and jailer. The fast ones are probably the worst, besides invulnerable, though invulnerable (for me, a Wizard) is do-able by just separating the minions (teleport win) even though they don't die after champion dies. The clouds and piniatas (all chests) are hardly worth touching, so you rely on your skill to survive and kill.

Agreed. The people who say: "Suck it up, die less, Act 1 is easy" have already cleared the hurdle of act1-2 of inferno and have millions of gold. This new change doesn't touch them.

However, those of us just starting inferno got seriously fucked over by this patch. Act 1 is too tough for me to justify the gold costs and act 4 of Hell nets you 50-75% less gold now with the jars not giving anything.

No clue why a non-mmo is getting tweaked like all this matters... RMAH?

Quote Originally Posted by Conbot View Post
    Agreed. The people who say: "Suck it up, die less, Act 1 is easy" have already cleared the hurdle of act1-2 of inferno and have millions of gold. This new change doesn't touch them.

However, those of us just starting inferno got seriously fucked over by this patch. Act 1 is too tough for me to justify the gold costs and act 4 of Hell nets you 50-75% less gold now with the jars not giving anything.

Pretty much keep the mass majority out of Inferno, all the while funneling them into using the RMAH, then when 1.1 hits flood the RMAH with there own gear and WIN !!

I have around 700k atm, only using gear mostly found by myself or friends, none of it that great. Wizard with 21k dps and 30k hp...Act I is RELATIVELY easy. We live in a world of relatives. I skipped most of Act II (teleporting through sewers). Or half of it. Damn invisible snakes are the bane of my existence. But things die pretty fast. If you're beating Hell and jumping into Inferno and are claiming that it's hard, that's how it should be and you need to farm Hell more. And not die as much, it's not that hard to avoid dying. There's no reason for anyone to be complaining about Act I inferno, because nothing changed for the bad, all for good. I can say Act I is easy if I want, just like you can say it's hard; we're both right, most likely (but me moreso )

You can still make plenty of gold its just so freaking boring now.

Act1 is a snoozefest, everything dies in like 4 hits. Act2 is terrible design. Act3 is still the most fun. Act4 is bad, but not as bad as act2 (angels and oppressors charging offscreen).

Sounds like Hardcore is where it's at if you want to play like D2.

Except that those people were clearing it with 500 dps weapons, unlike people currently, who can buy a 900+ dps bow for 200k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Except that those people were clearing it with 500 dps weapons, unlike people currently, who can buy a 900+ dps bow for 200k
    Except those were almost exclusively DHs chaining Smoke Screen and Wizards abusing so many things. Those builds got nerfed later but they had the gear by then.