Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    My upgrade was available in February. I have an iPhone 4. I do not see the 4S as worthy of an 18 month contract (when the S3 was, and now the iPhone 5 is a few months away).

I would suggest waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out and then weight it up against the SIII. It's certainly what I plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardourdan View Post
    My upgrade was available in February. I have an iPhone 4. I do not see the 4S as worthy of an 18 month contract (when the S3 was, and now the iPhone 5 is a few months away).

I would suggest waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out and then weight it up against the SIII. It's certainly what I plan to do.
    Sigh...Oh you lucky Americans and your reasonable 18-month contracts :<
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

i sold my 4s a few weeks back and got the HTC One X, and im really loving it

I recommend you either to wait for the next Nexus or buy the One X.
    If you don't want that, wait for the iPhone 5(or however it will be called), Razr while a decent phone is already outdated.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    If you'd like a phone that can get thrown around, take a hammer & nail, such stuff then I'm going to advise you either the cheap Nokia Lumia 800 or more expensive/bigger Lumia 900.

Do bear in mind it's got Windows Phone OS, which is really horrible as of now.
    False advertising. My 600$(at that time) Lumia 800 had its screen cracked at the first drop on the floor, also the scuffs and scratches on the screen were unbearable till then so not much of a lose. Please be advised of this kind of marketing from companies, always biased(search for either Lumia 800/900 cracked screen on google,you may be surprised).

Quote Originally Posted by WingsofLiberty View Post
    I recommend you either to wait for the next Nexus or buy the One X.
    If you don't want that, wait for the iPhone 5(or however it will be called), Razr while a decent phone is already outdated.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 09:04 PM ----------

False advertising. My 600$(at that time) Lumia 800 had its screen cracked at the first drop on the floor, also the scuffs and scratches on the screen were unbearable till then so not much of a lose. Please be advised of this kind of marketing from companies, always biased(search for either Lumia 800/900 cracked screen on google,you may be surprised).
    The one X is inferior to the SGS3 as of right now. The S3 has more USB OTG options, an exynos chip , an AMOLED display, A ton of developer support, various better components and a whole heap of stuff that makes it worth getting over the One X.

If you wait, there will be tons of stuff that comes out, holding on on an upgrade will get you more features, as phones are rapidly changing and expanding.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

get adroid razr maxx if you aregoing for a razr. you wont regret spending the extra money when other people are looking for a charger outlet. I would wait for the Iphone 5 though.

Droid Razr has gotten consistently bad reviews. If you are wanting to switch to Android then your best bet would be to go with the Samsung Galaxy S III . But keep in mind that the whole of the android app ecosystem is about the same quality level as the junk on Cydia, And you'll have to re-buy many apps. Some just simply arent available on Android either, like Plants vs Zombies.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 10:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Sigh...Oh you lucky Americans and your reasonable 18-month contracts :<
    Technically they are 24 month contracts, but the carriers wave the last 6 months if you re-sign a new 24 month contract.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

I would go for iphone 5

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreludecker View Post
    Some just simply arent available on Android either, like Plants vs Zombies.

---------- Post added 2012-06-20 at 10:22 PM ----------

Android has everything even PvZ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pvz_row&hl=en
    SGS3 is what I would get. I own the S2 currently. I would go android over Iphone but that's my opinion.

I'll throw another hat into the SGS3. Samsung are just unbeatable right now.

Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    ive read the Maxx doesnt have that much more life.
    I have a Maxx, and I've been able to get ~36 hours out of a single charge on it. It's all down to how you use it; leaving Wifi and Bluetooth and GPS on all the time is going to suck your battery. So is running the already bright screen at retina-searing brightness. With almost constant use through a 12 hour shift at work, plus listening to Pandora on the way home, and using it while I'm here, I usually end up with more than 50% battery life left.

Maxx has def a better battery then any other smart phone... at least from what I've seen. Is it the Second Coming of Batteries phone? na. But it'll still keep going long after even the precious iPhone's have died. Still probably gonna do better battery wise with a basic flip... but, you can't expect a week battery on any smart phone.

As for my opinion... right now, there are 3 options... Razr Maxx, HTC One X, and Samsung GS3. I have my GS3 on preorder. So excited for that. The One X is a fantastic phone - and while the GS3 is almost completely superior, the One X shines in a few departments (Sense being FAR superior to TouchWiz, the One X is a sturdier phone, and has a better screen - LCD is better than AMOLED... even if the AMOLED on GS3 is fantastic, you still get a grainy texture when zoomed)... the Maxx will have the best receiver (something motorola excels at) and battery life, but the worst display of the 3.

Personally I recommend the GS3... but all 3 devices have their strengths and weaknesses.

Also - I am really biased here. After hocking iphones all day at work... I can finally go someplace and say it loud.
    Fuck Apple. I hate iOS. I understand some people love it... but I cannot stand it. Android fanboy, yo.
    'Cause what the world needs now
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

Droid Razr has gotten consistently bad reviews. If you are wanting to switch to Android then your best bet would be to go with the Samsung Galaxy S III . But keep in mind that the whole of the android app ecosystem is about the same quality level as the junk on Cydia, And you'll have to re-buy many apps. Some just simply arent available on Android either, like Plants vs Zombies.
    It's not as big a problem it's made out to be. Almost all apps are developed with usability in mind, setting a baseline and testing on all relevant "upward" versions of the OS. Well, at least that's what every single dev guide tells you to do. Using super-specific features of a version of the OS is pretty discouraged because it limits your market so much. Essential(talking bigger businesses here) and widely-used apps don't have a problem with this because they're developed intelligently.

I don't like Apple phones for the sole reason that they're not compatible with pretty much anything except Apple products. I have an Android phone (Samsung Infuse) and it's pretty fantastic. The screen is large and responsive, the App store is extensive, and it came with a microSD memory card so if I ever want to get the pictures off my phone (say at a Walmart photo kiosk or something) it's as easy as opening my phone up and popping the card out.

The charging cord is a microUSB so if I ever lose it it'll be easy to replace and cheaper. The only thing I don't like about it is it's harder to find a nice case for it The Razr is still new so you shouldn't have much trouble.

I might be biased though, I work in a photo lab and I constantly have people with iPhones screaming at me because I can't get the pictures off their phones. They have no memory card, Bluetooth never works, and even a USB cable doesn't work cause iOS isn't compatible with our machines.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Android has everything even PvZ https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....pvz_row&hl=en
    SGS3 is what I would get. I own the S2 currently. I would go android over Iphone but that's my opinion.
    i hope you noticed that is from the Netherlands and not the US. if you tried to buy it here, youd get an error message saying its not available.

i have an iPhone 4 jailbroken and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the first one, not the 10.1 2) and my friend who has the Galaxy Note was impressed that my phone is more customizable than his phone is. Thats the benefit of having all the hardware be the same. the Android theme packs dont look right on his screen because its so big. And the android Tablet app scene is pretty bad. BUT for what i use it for (tablet PDF Reader) the 10.1 outperforms my old iPad. Especially when i loaded cyanogenmod onto it so i could get ICS and get rid of the samsung bloatware os.
    Last edited by Squirreludecker; 2012-06-21 at 07:31 AM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Deleted
    While waiting for the next iPhone, it might also be worth checking out what the Windows Phone 8 platform has to offer. Looking quite good in my opinion, correcting many of the flaws that the current generation of Windows Phones have.

i hope you noticed that is from the Netherlands and not the US. if you tried to buy it here, youd get an error message saying its not available.
    If you looked down the screen a little, you'd see this link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5wdnpfbmEiXQ..

PvZ in the US. The only time you run into things like that not being available are for things like the Kindle Fire, which is almost not Android anyway.

i have an iPhone 4 jailbroken and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (the first one, not the 10.1 2) and my friend who has the Galaxy Note was impressed that my phone is more customizable than his phone is. Thats the benefit of having all the hardware be the same. the Android theme packs dont look right on his screen because its so big. And the android Tablet app scene is pretty bad. BUT for what i use it for (tablet PDF Reader) the 10.1 outperforms my old iPad. Especially when i loaded cyanogenmod onto it so i could get ICS and get rid of the samsung bloatware os.
    soooo a jailbroken iphone is (debatably) offers more customization then an unrooted android phone... I would argue against this, simply due to launchers. Without rooting... How many launchers does iphone allow? How many different keyboards? Browsers (thank god apple finally started to allow people to use something other than siri), oh and how are your widgets doing over there? What about lock screens? Yeah. Even a jailbroken iphone has about 1/10th of the customization possibility of a stock android phone. Having hardware all the same has ZERO to do with that. In fact, the "benefit" of having hardware all the same is apple lets you customize your phone LESS. That is one of the huge selling points of Android. Do what you want with your phone. Hell it's possible - without rooting your phone - to make your phone look and behave almost exactly like an iphone.

However you are right... the App market for Android tablets is a horrible clusterfuck right now.

and PvZ has been out in the US for about a year, I believe. I could be mistaken on the timing, but it was definitely a while back. I got it when Amazon.com was offering it for free.
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    HTC are having grave problems with memory management and memory leaking with their custom Android interface, this with the entire One-line apparantly.
    Those 1GiB RAM it has? More like 240~MiB at your usage.
    Also, it looks awful.
    Wow, I know looks are subjective, but seriously, did you just claim that what is claimed to be the most aestheticly pleasing phone ever is worse looking than the cheap looking S3? Wow.

Also, it does not have issues with memory management, HTC have purposefully chosen for the way multi tasking works for balanced performance. If you don't like the way they set it up, you can change the memory values via third party apps.

On another note, the screen of a phone is very important imo because that's what you're looking at all the time. The HOX beats the S3 by a larg margin in that area (S3 has a pentile screen). If you didn't get it by now, my vote is for the HOX
    Last edited by mmocd3c4197ba2; 2012-06-21 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Wow, I know looks are subjective, but seriously, did you just claim that what is claimed to be the most aestheticly pleasing phone ever is worse looking than the cheap looking S3? Wow.

Also, it does not have issues with memory management, HTC have purposefully chosen for the way multi tasking works for balanced performance. If you don't like the way they set it up, you can change the memory values via third party apps.
    I'm not a huge fan of the way the One X looks, although many others are. I don't like the way the camera sticks out. I know it's an odd complaint... but, still I would never fault it for it's style... and I love the way sense launcher looks.

And (this is at Tetris, not you access) look at ANY ANDROID PHONE. No matter how much memory it has, you'll have roughly 1/3rd to 1/4th of that at your usage. This is because Android is basically a linux system. and Linux will "use" all your ram for disk-caching until that memory is needed. It is not Windows. It does not leave the memory to just chill. It uses free memory to help improve performance. This is the case in all android phones - from the OG Droid, Droid 2, Razr, Bionic, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Galaxy S3, etc etc etc.

edit: To Tetris' credit, I have little experience with the One X (though I imagine I'd have heard of a memory leak plaguing the device by now), and Sense is definitely more of a memory hog than other launchers.
    Last edited by fadingintofall; 2012-06-21 at 02:40 PM.
    is a new Frank Sinatra
    so I can get you in bed.