Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    100th thread on topic. yes people liked ulduar...

op has a good post, hes saying deathwing is like grrr im bad. algalon is like imma kill you cuz your not good for the planet?
    very cool optional boss, very cool lore, very cool raid overall. DS i liken to britney spears, its the most "pop" style raid ever made in wow, and reflects cata perfectly. anyone involved in hardcore raiding thesedays is simply riding coat tails OR if they are a veteran...hasnt found another game to sink thier time in. sorry but its true

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP you fail. 1/10. I love ulduar because of the atmosphere, epic bosses. Art etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamez View Post
    and Deathwing ... ?

some people like to be Nostalgic about old raids, wait till people start saying how Dragon Soul was good etc.
    Except by that time Deathwing has turned into a normal cliche "Mwa ha ha you cannot stop me!" James Bond villain, so even the backdrop of "If you lose, the world is destroyed" isn't enough to make it memorable because everything else is a bunch of trash.

Also kind of amusing that the supposed best part of a raid that barely anyone finished is a super hard mode boss that hardly anyone saw when it was current; either the community here is just super amazing and everyone else sucks (and judging from how many people act all high and mighty here and bash Wrath/casuals/bads/people not 8/8H, possibly?) or this is more rose-tinted glasses.

Deleted
    By the way, Algalon was a beacon of my argument. I didn't mean the rest of the raid was dull and algalon was intelligent. The raid in whole felt smart. In Dragon Soul and partly in Firelands one feels dealing mostly with simpleton opponents.

Deleted
    I guess the real reasons people like Ulduar was because it was an "epic" raid, I mean it wasn't nerfed to hell like newer raids. Yes some bosses were nerfed like Yogg was but the stages of progress were great in both achievement (as in the sections and activating hard-modes by actually doing something rather changing it by a click) and the environment/atmosphere added to it (after all there was something unknown, mystic and like you're challenging great powers which Deathwing despite being just under Titan power didn't establish that awe ).

The boss mechanics were different and didn't feel same-y despite they are like other bosses, they made the characters fleshed out and themselves so you know when killed someone it felt overcoming something, and even more so with hard-modes.

Of course this is subjective but still, people who didn't care for lore still felt like they killed something worth it, like Lich King also. He was a great boss and a powerful character and people out of ICC I bet loved him most.

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    Because when they faced Algalon they felt the opponent was intelligent. They didn't have a cartoon character, a big bad dragon, effectively going "boo, I'm scary". Sure, the lore may be more complex internally, but what we see on our screens is a simpleton character. One could argue it's a game, but regardless of that, I argue that's what some players preferred.

edit: made more comprehensible.

edit: By the way, Algalon was a beacon of my argument. I didn't mean the rest of the raid was dull and algalon was intelligent. The raid in whole felt smart. In Dragon Soul and partly in Firelands one feels dealing mostly with simpleton opponents.
    Every one of the bosses in Dragon Soul with the possible exception of Morchok could beat Kologarn, Steelbreaker or Razorscale in an IQ test. The Keepers were all confused and muddled as a result of Old God corruption. Vezax and Zon'ozz, both being Faceless Elites can be assumed to be of equal wit, and since Yor'sahj is of the same rank and of the caster type he's probably smarter than both of them put together.

Just because your opponent is a monster doesn't mean it's also a moron. After all, Deathwing, by running away from the Dragon Soul, proved himself to possess more common sense than any of the end-raid bosses that came before him. Crazy, sure. But not stupid.

I would say the vast majority of players didn't see Algalon until ToC or even ICC, therefore it definitely was no longer current content.

I have read thousands of threads on why Ulduar was amazing (because it was), and not once have I ever seen someone say they liked Ulduar because Algalon was smart (until now, I guess).

It was big, every boss had it's own mini zone and trash.. there was a lot of creative effort put in the raid.. feels epic.

Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    Do you guys really not understand?

He's saying that unlike most bosses that go "I'm bad, I kill people, I wait at the end of dungeons!", Algalon is much different. There's lore about him, and when you see him you realize "Oh God, if I lose, Azeroth gets blown up."
    Except there were people who liked Ulduar but never reached Algalon. Liking one raid because of one boss? If we were to use that formula, then I should like ICC more than Ulduar because I felt Arthas the LK was very well done through out WoTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by devonwc1985 View Post
    Not sure if foreign... or just dumb
    I choked on my water, thanks

That speech at the end of Algalon, in Dalaran. That feeling of accomplishment... Mechanics overall. Ulduar was boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    a sentient being made form shiny stars in not cartoonish but villains like Ony, Neth, DW, Maly, that dude in ruby sanctum ARE?.....what are smoking

I'd have to agree with you to an extent OP part of reason was for sure Algalon for me it just felt so epic. fighting for the fate of Azeroth Algalon just toying with us to watch and judge and finally downing him and he sees the error in the titans directives and his speech at end so very awesome.

But also Ulduar was just epic and had a nice scaling difficulty first boss easy 2nd easy 3rd got a bit harder 4th a bit harder it progressively got harder the fights themselves designed so well, that i actually did not mind wiping and havign to fight XT-002 Deconstructor over and over, Honestly Ulduar was just great i still run it at 85 and will at 90.

EDIT; Not sure why but never got that feeling with Deathwing even though he had planned to destroy world again with a second cataclysm during madness.

Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    Because when they faced Algalon they felt the opponent was intelligent. They didn't have a cartoon character, a big bad dragon, effectively going "boo, I'm scary". Sure, the lore may be more complex internally, but what we see on our screens is a simpleton character. One could argue it's a game, but regardless of that, I argue that's what some players preferred.

edit: made more comprehensible.

edit: By the way, Algalon was a beacon of my argument. I didn't mean the rest of the raid was dull and algalon was intelligent. The raid in whole felt smart. In Dragon Soul and partly in Firelands one feels dealing mostly with simpleton opponents.
    you are wrong.

everything is this raid was awesome

This makes sense and probably does factor into it a bit.

It's not just some mutated fucking crazy insane dragon leaking out adds.

10+ Year Old Account
    People liked ulduar due to the diversity of the fights, the fact that to get a hardmode you had to do something in the fight rather than flick a switch (Mimiron exception) and within some of these hardmodes there were yet more degrees of difficulty.

Those who were bad raiders could do FL and maybe Razor. Average could do maybe half the keepers, and good ones did more. There was something for every group of raiders and then it didn't get old because each boss had more than 2 difficulties.

Did you even raid ulduar? I'm not so sure, because you'd know this otherwise.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

I like Ulduar not sorely because of Algalon, that's far from the story. Sure, it was a cool fight and all, but there's more to it.

It's the atmosphere, the looks. Even the music if the zone - if you've had in-game music turned off at that point, you were missing out (WoW's music is one of the best in all MMOs, or the best rather).

The fights themselves were pretty epic as well and HC modes were challenging - mimiron hard mode was very challenging with all those 4 phases, and 0 keeper yog was another big one during the learning period. You don't get fights that are this chaotic anymore with so many things to worry about that will easily wipe the raid in seconds.

1) It came after nax
    2) It was the first proper implication of hardmodes after sarth 3d
    3) It had lots of lore surrounding it
    4) It had stepwise progression; easy upto near impossible
    5) It was the shortest raid tier in history I think? (As in time till new content)
    6) It was followed by toc
    7) There was also some prestige in clearing it. (server first titles ect)
    8) It had Immersive and beautiful scenery
    Last edited by Lyaral; 2012-06-22 at 01:52 PM.

Deleted
    I never saw Algalon on progress but I still liked Ulduar!