Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Garrosh and Hippie Thrall

In terms of in game portrayal, Tyrande and Thrall in Cataclysm.

Overall, I would say Rhonin, Med'an, and Aggra.

But Med'an takes the cake.

Green Jesus; truly the comedic asset of this expansion.

"Hey guys, gonna go from Warchief to the goddamn messiah of Azeroth and have a kid all at once!"

Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    Illidan actually wasn't a selfish prick, but whatever. I don't count anything involving Illidan that was put into WoW (BT or god awful WoE) as doing his character any kind of justice.
    during the war of the ancients illidan hoped his brother would die so he could hook up with tyrande. that sounds selfish to me.

but illidan is awesome anyway

---------- Post added 2012-06-22 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cortelas View Post
    -Joanna Blueheart. She refused to raze the largest orc stronghold in azeroth because she "didn't want to be like orcs". That's very noble and poetic, but helping the horde's invasion of azeroth should get you court-marshaled.
    excuse me, but when did stonard get bigger than orgrimmar, krom'gar fortress or warsong hold? stonard might have been something big before it was destroyed by the alliance in WC1, but nowadays it isn't that much, really.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

If one is talking about lore, garrosh is my vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Green Jesus; truly the comedic asset of this expansion.

"Hey guys, gonna go from Warchief to the goddamn messiah of Azeroth and have a kid all at once!"
    funny considering he didn't fail at anything, so kind of makes that irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    funny considering he didn't fail at anything, so kind of makes that irrelevant
    I never said he failed at anything, so it is in fact your comment that is irrelevant.

More to the point, his consistent 'non-failing' is what has made him our friendly, neighbourhood Mary-Sue this expansion; sorry if this rustles your jimmies.

"A Mary Sue (sometimes just Sue), in literary criticism and particularly in fanfiction, is a fictional character with overly idealized and hackneyed mannerisms, lacking noteworthy flaws, and primarily functioning as a wish-fulfilment fantasy for the author or reader. It is generally accepted as a character whose positive aspects overwhelm their other traits until they become one-dimensional."

Cata-Thrall in a nutshell; deny it all you like, but he was turned into Metzen's wet dream.
    Last edited by Austilias; 2012-06-22 at 12:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thread is about characters who fail, so you come across saying you know he didn't fail but thought you'd throw that in here anyway. right.

Also, saying you think the creator of world of warcrafts lore has wet dreams over the character he created along with countless other characters just makes you appear immature.
    #boycottchina

Garrosh and Varian. Both were shoved down our throats, so much wasted potential between the both of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to say Neptulon. I really did. But then I checked out Genn Greymane.

First of all, the man was a king by birthright and not by work or effort.
    Then, he gets a wife and 2 kids and doesn't tell them he loves them.
    Then, when the other humans came to him after the fall of Stormwind just before the Second War, BEGGING for help, he basically refused, joining only after being badgered into it and barely offering any help at all.
    Then, he seceded from the Alliance over a dispute about spending tax money. He refused to help pay for the orc internment camps next door and ragequit.
    Then, he built the Greymane wall that walled out one of his own friends and allies, Crowley. Crowley understandably rebelled, and was captured and jailed. You've seen him since.
    Then, the Forsaken came in the Third War. Fair enough that he'd seek out the Kirin Tor for help. However, he made this super-secret plan he didn't tell anyone because they'd tell him how stupid it was: release worgen into his own lands. Naturally, the worgen attack everything in sight, including Gilnean soldiers and civilians. Greymane decides to personally intervene, running out into the night to kill worgen, who by this time are primarily his own bitten subjects. Naturally, he gets his dumb ass bit, and chooses to pull a huge hypocrite move, hides the bite, and goes right back into the heart of the city. Fanstastic.
    With the rebellion, the Forsaken, and the worgen attacks all piling up Gilneas' defenses crumble and fail. Worgen openly attack the city. Greymane BEGS Crowley to help, proving that life has a sense of irony, and Crowley agrees because he's not a complete idiot. He also arranges for a cure of the worgen curse, suddenly motivated to help his people survive the curse rather than being slain, an idea he comes across only AFTER slaughtering dozens, maybe hundreds, of them personally, OH and also being bitten.
    Gilneas City falls. Greymane retreats to his private manor, where a night elf priestess tells him more about the worgen, probably adding "by the way, you probably should have Googled the worgen before releasing them into your own kingdom uncontrolled." The night elves arrange a ritual that can break the feral nature of the worgen curse, rubbing the whole "you didn't join the Alliance yet you know..." guilt trip as deeply as possible.
    Greymane's only son is killed in battle in front of him by Sylvanas.
    Gilneas falls. Greymane, his remaining family, and his surviving subjects flee the continent. Literally tail between his legs, Greymane BEGS to join the Alliance.

Oh, then he did some stuff in a Knaack book that was ok I guess. But other than that, basically everything he did was wrong, stupid, hypocritical or all three.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas. Don't get me wrong, I love the lore behind Arthas, and the Lich King. I just didn't like how Wrath ended. I wouldn't mind Arthas dying, but I really wanted him to make some kind of redemption before he passed.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

re: Long Greymane post

A compelling argument for his being a failure. Never really realized how extensively he managed to ruin his own kingdom.

---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Arthas. Don't get me wrong, I love the lore behind Arthas, and the Lich King. I just didn't like how Wrath ended. I wouldn't mind Arthas dying, but I really wanted him to make some kind of redemption before he passed.
    I always thought he'd have his Anakin Skywalker moment before he died as well. At least an admission of guilt or perhaps some kind of cryptic goodbye to his sister. Perhaps a limerick about his horse? SOmething!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always found Greymane a character of complete double standards, the sort who refused to help but now begs for it, the sort who releases the worgen on his people, and then gets bitten and wants to find a cure, and so on.

Funny thing is they do not portray this heavily enough in the game itself, in the game he just comes across as sweet little grandpa Genn, but theres so much unspoken stuff out of the game people don't know about, so they likely look at him ingame and think 'awww'.

Blizzard need to get off there arse and show the characters faults, the worgen were meant to be the alliances dark race like the forsaken are to the horde, but they just came across as puppies.
    #boycottchina

Deathwing, they made him a dynamic crazy ass old god empowered dragon, who was a scientific genius, and turned him into a simply insane dragon who happened to be pretty strong.

For those who say Illidan (o_o) < *SLAP* shame on you!
    Illidan and Arthas are my favorite, the lore around them are epic and tragic but awesome, also Durotan, Then from Thrall as a baby, as slave/gladiator raised by blackmoore (scum) etcetc.
    If i must dislike someone then Alexstrasza, because i find her booring, might be because i dont really like Richard Knaak as an author or how he writes, tho i do love some of the books, but the dragons are so "meeh" except Krasus, Kalecgos and DW

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Didnt like how it ended either, and tbh i dont really understand the "There must always be a Lich King", then kill Arthas (best person ever) And then make a new lich king (inc expansion on killing new lich king- would not be suprised) And damn it! How awesome would it be is Jaina got pregnant with arthas those times before he want coco.. Son of Arthas, would have been epic lore for his son, also reason to take back Lordaeron/Under City.
    Shame, or instead of killing Arthas, Tirion Fordring could have healed him after you defeted him in ICC (seeing Arthas was himself again when he said "Father is it over?") Why did the paladins just let him die, bastards!
    Ok enough rant

Edit: fail post
    Last edited by Aspect of Death; 2012-06-22 at 01:43 AM.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The thread is about characters who fail, so you come across saying you know he didn't fail but thought you'd throw that in here anyway. right.

Also, saying you think the creator of world of warcrafts lore has wet dreams over the character he created along with countless other characters just makes you appear immature.
    A character can succeed in their tasks/duties but still fail as a character. Sylvanas for example has had nothing but success in her Lordaeron conquests, but is still one of the most boring, one-dimensional characters in the game at the moment, and thus a failure. The same is true of Thrall. Defending such characters is countless times more immature than pondering the motives of those behind their awful stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    Dranosh Saurfang, the arms warrior who tried to DPS the Lich King before the tank could properly establish aggro.
    /sigh
    Wrath babies, don't know to wait for sunders.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Didnt like how it ended either, and tbh i dont really understand the "There must always be a Lich King", then kill Arthas (best person ever) And then make a new lich king (inc expansion on killing new lich king- would not be suprised) And damn it! How awesome would it be is Jaina got pregnant with arthas those times before he want coco.. Son of Arthas, would have been epic lore for his son, also reason to take back Lordaeron/Under City.
    Shame, or instead of killing Arthas, Tirion Fordring could have healed him after you defeted him in ICC (seeing Arthas was himself again when he said "Father is it over?") Why did the paladins just let him die, bastards!
    Ok enough rant

Edit: fail post
    He did kind of repent at the end there, he was like, "Oh shit Dad, what did I do!?!" and then death.

I really don't think there was much they could do. I mean, Arthas cut out his own heart and destroyed it himself. Kinda hard to live without that =/

Added to that fact, there'd be a shit-ton of people going after him if he was alive still. It probably was more merciful to let him die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    How dare you.
    Never say this again...

Muradin
    Sylvannas
    Varimathras
    Mal'ganis
    Kil'jaeden
    Kel'Thuzad
    Arthas
    Ner'zhul
    Anub'arak
    Jaina
    Uther
    Terenas
    Tirion
    Thrall
    Garrosh
    Vol'jin
    Rexxar
    Cairne
    Baine
    Kael'thas
    Vashj
    Tyrande
    Furion
    Maiev
    Illidan

In Warcraft(rts) they were good.
    In World of Warcraft they were fucked up.