Poll: Who deserves a break?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Who deserves a 'break'?

Greetings, Dear Reader!

I'm raising this question because I'm tired of reading about negativity regarding social and societal aspects of our lives. The usual "I hate X because Y" is getting old, and I figured it was time for us to create a more happy aura (I sound like such a Hippie don't I?) regarding our daily lives.

We judge eachother all the time, clothes, smoking, obesity and so forth. Everything we do, someone hates for some reason, but is'nt it time we give eachother a break? Is'nt it time we step back and say "You know, do what you feel like. Enjoy your habits, and let me enjoy mine without judging me back". We constantly strive to feel 'better' than our humans and I think it's SO frustrating that we fill ourselves with hatred for someone who does not think or act the way we do!

I've included some examples of who particularly takes alot of flak for their behavior, and added an "Other" option which I strongly encourage you guys to use to express why you think a type of people deserve a break! Let's get the Harmony on...

And... Multioptions is available!

Poll Options and why:

Obese: Overweight people take a HUGE amount of guff from others, and I think it's really sad. Sure, in many cases it's self inflicted, but let's give these guys a break for a change. Let them enjoy the extra slice of pizza or cake or whatever, and revel in the fact that they enjoy eating good food that some of us stay away from because of fear of getting overweight. Let's give them a break! =D

Underclass: C'mon. Let's stop pecking at eachother because some did'nt get the same education that others did. Maybe it was laziness, maybe they just did'nt qualify for anything better, but their lives are tough enough already without people judging them for their choices in life. If you stood 8 hours a day performing mindnumbing, boring labor, You'd want a break, too! So let's give it to them by not hating them for their situration.

Smokers: 'Oh no!' said Extremist Elvis. 'That lady just blew smoke at me!'. Sure, Second Hand smoking is bad for you, but C'mon guys.. Yeah, it's a choice they made to smoke, and it'd be awesome if every smoker had the same good manners as some fortunately do, but do we REALLY need to hate these guys and gals for enjoying their cigarettes? There's SO many other things that kills us anyways, and even eating veggies can give you led cancer for crying out loud. Let's give these people a break and let them take a good, deep breath without being judged for a change.

Motorists: Wait, what? Most of us drive cars or motorised vehicles, why do they need a break?! Well, exhaust from engines and cars are not AS bad alone as the smoke from a cigarette, but in more massive matters, it's perhaps even worse. So these guys deserve a break, too! They have their jobs to fulfill and places to go, so enough about telling them to use a bicycle instead. Let them cruise around for a while and enjoy the object they spent their hard earnt money on.

Trolls: Oh yeah, I went there. A common belief about internet trolls is that they're hatefull, vengefull people who thrive on the tears of the 'normal' people. And while some trolls CAN be really malicious, let's cut them some slack. Psychology has shown us that atleast a large portion of trolls, mostly stem from insecurity, lack of confirmation and many other, quite tragic reasons. And the Internet is THE safest place for someone with social issues to vent their frustrations. It's also healthier that way. So instead of hating someone for spewing bile, just ignore it and understand that it's mostly just a way for the person to relieve themselves from unrelated frustrations. Give them a break, most of them REALLY could use it.

Gaming Companies: Okay, this one is a bit more tricky, as they're often percieved as nameless, faceless corporations that tries to suck the fun and life out of us. When a gaming company makes mistakes, we're really quick to express what we're unhappy about and why. But we have to stop thinking they're doing it JUST to make us all feel worse. Infact, most of the guys I know who work in gaming industries HATES when their company makes errors, because they often pour their heart and soul into what they create, and recieving flak for it genuinely makes them feel bad. Give them a break, and remember, the reason most programmers, art designers, script writers and so gets INTO the business is to try to make people happy, and offer a product people will enjoy.

Political Enthusiasts: This one is tough aswell. There's ALOT of apathy these days both national, religious and political. But there's still ALOT of people who care alot about politics and are happy to share their views and oppinions. Granted, it's often not done as well constructed and objectively as it could be done, but we gotta stop hating them for having passion for something. If we destroy their interrest for the subject, what kind of people are we, really? Let's listen to them instead, hear their oppinions and even if we don't agree, respect them. It's the least we can do.

Telemarketers: Yes, it can be annoying to be called by a stranger who wants to ask questions or sell you something. And yes, it's a really quirky business model which often takes advantage of others. But it's still a business, and most of the times, the people calling are genuinely nice people who just needs work. I know it's easy to shoot the messenger and vent at the guy or girl calling, but think about it the other way. It's someone who spends their entire day calling strangers, voulnurable to verbal abuse like heck. I can imagine it being a really, REALLY mentally exhausting job, but if it bothers you so much that they're calling, the best way to go about it, is just politely say "No thanks, I'm not interrested, have a great day" and hang up. Let's give them a break and behave ourselves nice, even if they're strangers, they're people, too.

Law Enforcement: Another one where some people dedicate their life, trying to improve everyone elses life a little. Sure, abuse of power sucks and sure, you might not like being pulled over for the third time this year and get a speeding ticket for something that seems trivial, but remember.. These are also human beings who're just trying to do their job and make life a little safer for the rest of us. It's a dangerous job, and the last thing they need is more stress than they already get. Let's give them a break by not hating on them in general, but if one of them ACTUALY does something they're not supposed to, report them to their district office, and give the others the break they deserve.

Other: Phew! I hardly even made it half way through my mental list of people who deserve a break, but let's open up the limitations a bit here, and instead of me squeezing in another group of people, let this be the 'open for interpritation' category. I'm sure alot of you feels a special group of people could use a break, so let's hear about it and why!

PLEASE NOTE BEFORE POSTING:Let's keep this chat civil and respectful. The whole purpose is to give eachother a break, so let's not flame eachother if we disagree. Feel free to debate with eachother over why someone deserves a break, or why you don't think they do, but share the love and keep an open mind in this. Don't turn it into a flamefest. Show the same respect to your fellow posters as you'd like them to show you

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad you didn't include crotch rocket/weave in and out of traffic at 110 mph A-holes. They don't deserve a break.

Back on topic. I'd say give the underclass a break. If they disappeared the world we take for granted would get a lot crummier (trash service/construction/infrastructure repairs)
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

10+ Year Old Account
    Good attitude, I don't agree with everything, but I fully support the idea.

Everybody but trolls. Screw trolls.

Deleted
    Smokers. I've never smoked myself, but I don't mind if people feel like puffing away on a cigarette. The second hand smoker psychopaths really need to cool it down.

Some people in all of those groups deserve a break, other people in those groups do not.
    Asking me to make a blanket statement is just a bit pointless.

The thin people. No, I do not starve myself. No, you don't have the right to tell me to eat more, just as I don't have a right to tell you to eat less. I am not negatively impacting you. I am not anorexic, I do not rack up medical bills. IF anything, I help more than the rest of the world. I go to the gym, and pay for that. I eat healthier food, and have to pay extra for that too. I think we deserve a break. Why is being healthy more expensive than being large? Why do I have to take the comments from random people when others don't?

I would also like to vote for law enforcement, but I voted for other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.

i'll never give smokers a break...if they smoke outside when i'm around, sure, the smoke will just fly off in the wind, but if they smoke inside a room i'll give them living hell...if i wanted to breath in smoke i'd smoke myself.

Deleted
    The underclass. Look up Charles Murray - you will see why people should people should stop hating on the poor.

So I'm the only one that voted for trolls...

No one deserves a break! Everyone deserves to feel equally unhappy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Cops. Everyone acts like every cop is a "pig." Some cops are pigs, but most are decent people who actually have good intentions and simply do their duty and it seems to me that 9 times out of 10 the person calling the cop a "pig" was the troublemaker to begin with.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathena View Post
    I'm glad you didn't include crotch rocket/weave in and out of traffic at 110 mph A-holes. They don't deserve a break.

Back on topic. I'd say give the underclass a break. If they disappeared the world we take for granted would get a lot crummier (trash service/construction/infrastructure repairs)
    Me quoting you has nothing to do with what you said. You simply have a legendary profile/avatar whatever. I laughed.

I'd give gaming companies a break. Or more specifically, Community Managers. Some very hateful stuff gets tossed their way, when they don't even have to be conversing with us in the first place. I feel they are taken for granted, and systematically abused. I think we should be able to complain about crappy stuff in our games without tearing apart the humans who put them out.

I don't like cops at all. More or less they just get in my way when I'm trying to die. I have a lot of baggage when it comes to cops, so no breaks for them. They make my home feel unsafe because the law allows them to essentially do whatever the hell they want and come in under any circumstance they deem valid. You literally don't have to commit any crime whatsoever for cops to invade your house.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-06-23 at 04:30 AM.

Nobody. Nobody deserves a break, ever, from anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah. No one gives me a break. That's why I vent my frustrations on E-Dragons.
    Screw them.

I procure breaks based on individual cases. Should you do something of note in my eyes, yes I shall indeed grant you that smoke break, that slice of cake, that oddly drawn and surprisingly childish cartoon watch for half an hour without ridicule, but only if you do the same in turn. Often I extend this offer first. Too often have I had it thrown in my face without remorse.

So nay I say. I do not group people. Each person has merit and flaw! That shall be judged based upon their interactions solely WITH me.

Til then 'screw them'. Once more.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

voted other because all the above do not deserve a break.

Question whatever you take for granted.

The top 2 I think deserve a break is Smokers and the Lower Class. I mean just how much is spent on advertising and getting legislation in to shit all over smokers? How badly are they taxed compared to well, anything else. The Lower Class I feel for as well because of how badly politicians ignore them. Politicians want to make the middle class better and give no shits if the lower class areas get flooded, if they have almost 0 options to move up in life, if they work in shit jobs, doing shit hours, under shit conditions.

Top 2 I feel shouldn't even be on this list personally is the Obese and Police (specifically traffic cops). Perhaps it is the area I am in, but every time I get pulled over it is A: for going 2-3 miles over the limit, B: for having a piece of shit car I can't afford to fix, and C: Always get forced to do the 'how much have you been drinking', 'walk the line', 'when is the last time you smoked weed' etc questions because I have bad balance from shattering my ankle and shin and also have an almost constant tremor/twitch from almost constant mini-seizures. Forgive me for having medical conditions I've explained to you pig, if you think I'm drunk or doped up give me a breathalyzer or arrest me please and stop wasting my time with this bullshit. As for the Obese, I have no issues with someone minorly obese, but if you are to the point you can no longer walk straight and have to waddle, take up 2 seats in an airplane or at the theater, and slow down the kitchen at resturaunts since you order half the menu at once, you generally don't deserve the respect I could have for you since generally you are not respecting your own body. Yes I know, some morbidly obese people have medical issues, but most do not. When I see you get off your power chair you borrowed from walmart and start pushing it since your 400lb body broke it, you really didn't need that chair in the first place.

Other:

The people who receive and give no love in their life...This doesn't include those people who have it all yet still claim "I have no friends!", but rather, those who truly have no friends or family because they live in solitude and speak to no one as part of their uncontrollable character while they are left abandoned by the few remaining family members.
    The lips of the righteous shall meditate wisdom, and he shall speak justice.

Whoah. Optimism on the internet, isn't this breaking some rule? Although I thought "long post" at first, it seriously made my day better reading it!

Voted for underclass, gaming companies and telemarketers, mostly for your reasons. Especially telemarketers I feel sorry for. People yell at others to "go get a job!", then they struggle getting a job, and then they get yelled at for doing said job.
    10 char req. - because explaining is good.

Law Enforcement definitely, they're usually only pricks if you're breaking the law, stay out of trouble, and they are friendly.