Poll: Tolerating the public

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How many can tolerate dealing with the public?

Just thought I'd throw this topic out there. How many can tolerate dealing with the public? Whether it be at a job, or on your own personal time, or even on the internet.

Most likely everyone will pick the internet. However, I think we will see people who simply can not deal with the public in any form involving face-to-face contact or by voice communication. People today are mean, emotional, and frankly incompetent. The funny thing is... its even worse on the internet but because there is no face-to-face contact or voice communication it is actually more tolerable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I rather like the public and get along well with it. Maybe if you don't it's something you're doing wrong, not them?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Interresting Subject, but I have to point out the Irony of you posting this on an online Messageboard =)

Quote Originally Posted by Kasperio View Post
    Interresting Subject, but I have to point out the Irony of you posting this on an online Messageboard =)
    Well, this is more of a community but yea it is kind of ironic. I was thinking about it when I posted it but oh well. Still kind of interesting.

I think it's easier for cowards to be mean, cranky, and identify people as incompetent when they don't have to deal with them face to face.

I also think a lot of people blame their inability to solve their own problems by externalizing the blame on others.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've worked customer service, at Macy's, at Walgreen's, I worked at a dog store, which I left after about 10 days, and I go to college.

I can handle the public.

.... but can they handle me....? :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Drakain View Post
    I think it's easier for cowards to be mean, cranky, and identify people as incompetent when they don't have to deal with them face to face.

I also think a lot of people blame their inability to solve their own problems by externalizing the blame on others.
    Not sure if you are mad at me for posting this or just forgot to wear your tampon but, anyone who deals with the public on a daily basis I'm sure has encountered people like this on a regular basis. Take for example a call center representative. He or she has to put with people yelling at them because of some issue they have with their product or service.

Deleted
    I can handle it. I have given some speeches in front of my school, the hardest part is starting the speech, but after that it flows naturally. I want to be a politician in the future so it would be pretty bad if I couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    I want to be a politician in the future so it would be pretty bad if I couldn't.
    God be with you. Or good luck if you're not religious.

Deleted
    The answer? I can't. I hate almost everyone, but I deal with it.

That's why online is good, because I assume that the person that I'm interacting with is a decent person, because all I can see is their words and their avatar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    God be with you. Or good luck if you're not religious.
    Here in Europe people don't realy care about the religion of the politicians.

Deleted
    I personally find face-to-face interaction more rewarding.

Just thought I'd throw this topic out there. How many can tolerate dealing with the public? Whether it be at a job, or on your own personal time, or even on the internet.

Most likely everyone will pick the internet. However, I think we will see people who simply can not deal with the public in any form involving face-to-face contact or by voice communication. People today are mean, emotional, and frankly incompetent. The funny thing is... its even worse on the internet but because there is no face-to-face contact or voice communication it is actually more tolerable.
    Are you referring to yourself here? My colleagues are fucking amazing.

The only person that's making the public workplace unenjoyable is the typical anti-social person that's forced to get a job because the government won't pay his/her welfare money anymore.

Please don't take me for a generalizing bastard now, because I've seen these things happen, and they fucking disgust me because most of those people either blame others or hate themselves so much that it's depressive just to work with those people.

Not sure if you are mad at me for posting this or just forgot to wear your tampon but, anyone who deals with the public on a daily basis I'm sure has encountered people like this on a regular basis. Take for example a call center representative. He or she has to put with people yelling at them because of some issue they have with their product or service.
    I suppose this is an example of you being mean and cranky. I wasn't directing my comment at you. I deal with the public, extensively. I know what it's like. My statements were based on my observations. I have clients call me on the phone, or send email messages, who are incredibly rude and antagonistic. I have been called incompetent by people who knew nothing about they were complaining about and were simply dis-satisified with the answer I gave them.

When these same people come in to meet me in person they are nearly always more polite and less antagonistic.

Your response is an example of someone who externalizes blame. You apparently didn't like what I said and, for whatever reason, you seem to concluded it was directed at you, personally. So your first response was blame me for how what I wrote made you feel - clearly I forgot to wear my tampon otherwise I wouldn't have responded the way I did, right?

The truth is I don't care about how you feel, and I wasn't directing my comment at you, but making a general observation based on my experience - which is what you wanted. I think someone's inability to handle 'the public' has to do with that person's failings rather than the public's failure.

Worked in retail for 10 years and i can tolerate then though only just sometimes.
    I fucking hate the public

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I do tend to think that the people who tend to go around viewing the rest of humanity as mindless morons who are only there to annoy them are generally the people who are really the ones making the environment around them worse.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I suppose this is an example of you being mean and cranky. I wasn't directing my comment at you. I deal with the public, extensively. I know what it's like. My statements were based on my observations. I have clients call me on the phone, or send email messages, who are incredibly rude and antagonistic. I have been called incompetent by people who knew nothing about they were complaining about and were simply dis-satisified with the answer I gave them.

When these same people come in to meet me in person they are nearly always more polite and less antagonistic.

Your response is an example of someone who externalizes blame. You apparently didn't like what I said and, for whatever reason, you seem to concluded it was directed at you, personally. So your first response was blame me for how what I wrote made you feel - clearly I forgot to wear my tampon otherwise I wouldn't have responded the way I did, right?

The truth is I don't care about how you feel, and I wasn't directing my comment at you, but making a general observation based on my experience - which is what you wanted. I think someone's inability to handle 'the public' has to do with that person's failings rather than the public's failure.
    Read your own post again:

Because I mentioned that people are incompetent in the public. That was your response. It doesn't take an English major to dissect your context.

You also just admitted it by pointing out your example of me<--- being cranky and mean. So, i apologize if i misinterpreted your 1st post. Moving on please.

I like dealing with the public though i do not like talking on the phone...

---------- Post added 2012-06-22 at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    Here in Europe people don't realy care about the religion of the politicians.
    Well unless they are muslim or scientologist

10+ Year Old Account

That sounds like something someone's been told on LFR rather, not real life.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Skelington can only communicate through the internet. He gets pretty anxious through other means.