Deleted

Help me pick the right laptop

After the summer I will start at university and therefore I'm in need of laptop. However since my old gaming computer hardly can run any games I figured it should be possible to buy a laptop which can run the newest games and be used for working.

1. It's really important that the laptop don't make to much noise overwise I can't use it during clases.
    2. The keyboard on the laptop, have to be at normal or big size cause got way to big finger for small keyboards.
    3. It can run the newest games smoothly.
    4. I'm NOT seaching for the best (overpriced) pc out there (cause well don't see the point in paying for for the very best hardware just to have the best computer).

If you go any ideas please post name and price of laptop

Deleted
    you can't really have it all ... if its powerful enough to run new games smoothly and these in near future it will have to be pretty top end, and it will have to be at least 15,6 inch screen which by itself isn't that good for moving - size and weight, also battery life tends to be worse in machines with big screen for obvious reason.

Beside if you want help you'll have to give us price range and location where you want to buy it, also preferable screen size, whether or not battery time is important

buying top of the line actually does make a lot more sense, because then it will last longer. My current desktop was built in 2009 and still has the power to run all modern games. only thing ive done since then is bought a new video card. Also most laptops are quiet as long as youre not gaming on them or doing other heavy rendering tasks. So buy a high end PC now and you'll be able to use it for a while.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

How important is owning a great laptop for college versus a great laptop for games? If it's the former:

http://www.vizio.com/notebook/overview

Vizio doesn't skim on quality, and it's not overpriced for the hardware that comes with it. Not to mention zero bloatware. However if you're more interested in something that games really well, you're going to need to pick up either an ASUS or Toshiba or MSI for ~1200+ dollars.

//edit: to be more clear - I purchased a fantastic ASUS laptop with a mid-high level GPU in it (at the time) and an i7 quadcore processor. It still runs modern games well, but I've found that I need superior battery life more and more. It's cool being able to run games from 2008/2009 at full settings, but It's sort of a hassle lugging around a 17-inch laptop that gets about two hours of battery while working on it. Make your decision carefully.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-06-22 at 03:27 AM.

Deleted
    www.amazon.com/ASUS-G75VW-AS71-17-3-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/tech-data/B007MW73C2/

Would highly recommend this laptop. Picked it up a few months ago for uni work over the summer and some gaming and absolutely love it thus far. Great quality and build, really can not beat it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi. I posted this in another thread but here ya go. This is extremely budget oriented, but for only $600, it's a steal.

Well, you are extremely lucky I stumbled upon this thread when I did. I am going to save your ass. XD

This one is $600.

- Dedicated card: GT 540m
    - 2nd gen i5 (dual-core) @ 2.5ghz
    - 750GB HDD @ 5400 rpm
    - 8GB RAM DDR3 @ 1333mhz
    - 2.0MP front facing camera
    - Win7 64bit
    - 15.6" screen

Buy this now. It will end in a few days. The warranty is very good. 1 year accidental (drop, spill, etc) plus 1 extra regular warranty for only $45.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...%3A00001752%3A

If you don't want to use the link, go to Lenovo.com, go to the search bar and type z570. Hit the first link, the laptop is the second one from the left priced @ $599.99. GL, hope you got one like I did. They are going FAST. Also. . . even if you haven't heard of Lenovo, they are very reliable and (I think) the second largest computer maker/distributor in the world.

Look at these reviews on one of the lesser versions of this (now deactivated) on Newegg. Don't look @ the DoA (defective on arrival) ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834246327

Quote Originally Posted by krovikanMt View Post
    After the summer I will start at university and therefore I'm in need of laptop. However since my old gaming computer hardly can run any games I figured it should be possible to buy a laptop which can run the newest games and be used for working.

1. It's really important that the laptop don't make to much noise overwise I can't use it during clases.
    2. The keyboard on the laptop, have to be at normal or big size cause got way to big finger for small keyboards.
    3. It can run the newest games smoothly.
    4. I'm NOT seaching for the best (overpriced) pc out there (cause well don't see the point in paying for for the very best hardware just to have the best computer).

If you go any ideas please post name and price of laptop
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214410

just got it a few weeks back and I'm truly satisfied.

I do use a cool pad when playing games and that adds to the amount of shit I carry around but I think it's worth it since I assume running at a nice low to moderate temp will improve its life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214410

just got it a few weeks back and I'm truly satisfied.

I do use a cool pad when playing games and that adds to the amount of shit I carry around but I think it's worth it since I assume running at a nice low to moderate temp will improve its life.
    I got EXACTLY what this guy got for $600 ($648 with a nice warranty ). I actually got a slightly better CPU, and a little more RAM.

Deleted
    Thanks alot for your answers and yes I can now see I forgot to tell quite a bit (:

1. Quick question? is it smart to buy laptop or should I buy a cheap laptop and gaming computer for total same price?
    2. Looking for a pc that can be used for gaming so a pc which only can run games such as league of legend is a no go.
    3. The screensize is rather important for gaming however since I got a 24 acer screen and planning on playing with the screen instead of laptopscreen, I guess it don't matter to much the size of the screen (but ofc if too small you can't really use it for work).
    4. Price range from 1000-1500 if there is something which is REALLY worth paying for maximum 1800 dollars
    5. I know I can't have it all and for some people it make sense to buy the best of the best. however I personally never saw the point I rather buy a good computer now and when it's getting old I use the money I didn't spend (on buying the super computer) to buy another one. Since well it is possible to buy a really great computer, but if no games really need that great a computer you basicly just paying for having the best of the best while a bit worse is "just as good". It's like you can pay twice as much for a the best grafic card compared to a good one, but often it isen't twice as good. (rather buy 2 computers which each last 2 years then buying 1 super computer which last 3 years) Hope ou get my point
    6. Not sure how cheap a computer is in US and Peru (going there on vacation), but thinking of buying the computer here in Denmark so I can get it repaired quick if something happens.
    7. guess if possible to buy an extra battery the life time of the battery in the computer don't matter to much.
    Last edited by mmoc43ca5832f8; 2012-06-22 at 10:59 AM.

Deleted
    ASUS G55VW
    I'd say something like this looks good enough and in lower part of your budget, its 3rd gen quad core i7 and gtx 660m, it doesn't really get much better then that w/o increasing price heavily. Of course price could vary in countries, its on amazon.com for just under 1.3k $

edit: Just bear in mind that it still wont run new titles on ultra, maybe not even on high CPU is very fast but GFX is still at best at lvl of desktop counterpart 3 gen back
    Last edited by mmoc9ef35a8a9e; 2012-06-22 at 01:13 PM.

You don't need a laptop for university, unless you plan gaming during classes. If you don't believe me, hold off your purchase until October, and you'll see that there's no use for a laptop in university. I thought the same as you, wanted to buy a laptop, thought I needed it. Yet, somebody gave me advice of waiting and actually seeing whether I needed one. I took the advice. Later in October, I realized that I wouldn't have a use for a laptop, and bought a desktop instead. Good purchase I might add! And I'm not studying languages or something, I'm studying computer science.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    You don't need a laptop for university, unless you plan gaming during classes. If you don't believe me, hold off your purchase until October, and you'll see that there's no use for a laptop in university. I thought the same as you, wanted to buy a laptop, thought I needed it. Yet, somebody gave me advice of waiting and actually seeing whether I needed one. I took the advice. Later in October, I realized that I wouldn't have a use for a laptop, and bought a desktop instead. Good purchase I might add! And I'm not studying languages or something, I'm studying computer science.
    That really depends on whether you live in dorm or home - you might not have space to put full size PC in dorm room. It also depends on amount of time you get in between classes and nature of them. From my personal experience laptop is not necessary but often useful and more convenient to have then full size PC.

I disagree. When I was at the university (graduated 2 years ago) I used my laptop ALL the time. It really depends on the university you go to and how equipped they are/how well they integrate technology. My university REQUIRED a laptop, and integrated its use in most of my classes. Even if it was not required I type vastly faster then I can write which came in handy when taking notes, as well as the ability to record the class session if I so chose (I found this feature extremely handy with office one note). If my university didn't require it, I probably would have been ok, although I think my educational experience was greatly enriched as a result of having my laptop.

Deleted
    ASUS-G75VW or ASUS G55VW
    So it seems as the best choice for me will be either of those 2 from the replys I gotten. I saw some review on the g75 version and it can run any game on maximum however a bit troubles with 3d maximum detail crysis but well not really that big a fan of 3d så that's okay.

I'm sure you can complete most classes at any university without a laptop, however with a laptop you would automaticly do better, because it's much easiere to make great notes.

Sorry, but I haven't seen anyone making notes with a laptop during classes Imo it just distracts. Again, that's my opinion.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)