Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    (it's 1985/1989/1990 respectively, actually ;p release date anyway, but let's not).
    You're right. I think part 2 and 3 were shot in relatively similar time periods. my bad.

anyway, they didn't really stand up as much at the time of release, didn't they? (box office/reception, number 1 still owns the sequels), they just didn't suck.

so the trilogy kept the dignity and is now considered a classic, rightfully so. I dare any modern trilogy to do the same ;p

This is in an era where the only trilogy was The Godfather and Star Wars. Fans didn't always expect multiple sequels at this point. (okay you can argue for the horror genre).

EDIT: think indiana jones 4, OUCH.
    Classic example of where fans demand something and dont like what they get. Like the first 3 indiana jones films were totally realistic and not campy at all.

I'm gonna say the audience is more aware and refinded now. Something like BTTF part 1 or Raiders of the Lost Ark wouldn't fly now. That's something in our past that we've both grown up with and also grown past. It's not a fault of the film-making but our own progression as an audience. Just as some classic 1950's-60's horror films look stupid now, it was a stepping stone for what came after.

If we over analyze things too much then we miss the point. Hint: The point is to have fun at the movies...

not stress out about plot holes and possible inconsistencies with what we consider cannon...

I liked the 3rd more than the first two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    The first movie came out in 1985 and they went back in time to 1955. Now we're almost 30 years from 1985. Do you think Hollywood will remake this?
    this thread makes me feel old and sad.

I'm against a remake. The Back to the Future trilogy is extremely solid, and holds up well even today. Having a bad remake can hurt the great original. I love Back to the Future and don't want it's memory befouled by a garbage remake like two of my other favorite movies...

a back to the future without christopher lloyd and micheal j fox is no movie for me.

I hope they never touch these films and leave them the way they are.

I think a big problem is who would you get to play the actors in them? While we can look back at the cast and say they brought together the films with their great mannerisms and classic one liners, any attempt to remake the movie would end up with Hollywood butchering it just to shove in the popular star of the week, dunk the project into a cgi-fest featuring a car from whichever automaker wanted to use the film as their personal commercial, and have a nonsensical love story shoe horned in just to show off the eye candy starlet in lingerie.

I mean do you really want to see Shia Labouf running around with Megan Fox time traveling in a Chevy Volt while a soundtrack by Pitbull plays in the background?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphard View Post
    I mean do you really want to see Shia Labouf running around with Megan Fox time traveling in a Chevy Volt while a soundtrack by Pitbull plays in the background?
    I'd rather eat a 6-foot-long broken glass dog-shit sandwich.

15+ Year Old Account
    Please don't...the films can stand by their own without them being remade. Their is only one remake/sequel(after a long period of time) that I enjoyed and that is Toy Story 3. I don't think they would do it the old film's justice.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Please don't...the films can stand by their own without them being remade. Their is only one remake/sequel(after a long period of time) that I enjoyed and that is Toy Story 3. I don't think they would do it the old film's justice.
    Err.. Toy Story 3 wasn't exactly a sudden re-boot or sequel for the franchise. It was long expected. Good movie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    I still want my flying car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFfBB2W7IA

IF it would be something in the lines : grandsons find the delorean with the plans, realise what it is, realise it s broken, build up an aventador ( ) to become the new time travel machine and go in the future, past, etc etc with decent plot, then sure, why not .

If they just replace the actors, change the action a little bit and call it the movie , then no thanks.

Honestly, why not just make new movies instead of (badly) remaking classics? I think I know the an$wer.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Syro View Post
    IF it would be something in the lines : grandsons find the delorean with the plans, realise what it is, realise it s broken, build up an aventador ( ) to become the new time travel machine and go in the future, past, etc etc with decent plot, then sure, why not .

If they just replace the actors, change the action a little bit and call it the movie , then no thanks.
    Yeah, with a story line like this they certainly could get all the cameos they needed actually. Time travel back to 1985/1885/.... and see them work some magic to clip in the new people with older scenes from the original trilogy(like trouble with tribbles ToS/DS9 crossover but with a bigger budget).

But just no. There certainly are a lot of older movies that could use a reboot/remake/sequel, however this is just not one of them. It would be like them remaking The Goonies or something... just wrong.

Star Trek is a good example of how to pull off a semi ok reboot. Could have been much better(they have the second one filming to get it right). However with star trek it wasnt just a quick 3 movie arc and then nothing else ever. It was many iterations over many decades.

I can see them doing this some time over the next 10 or so years. They will eventually revisit every popular movie out there and try to pull off a remake/sequel/reboot. It might be an 'ok' movie, but for most it would likely never compare to the originals.
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

Seriously that's all I can think of in response to such a thing happening.

If they did like a Back to the Future 4 .. Sure .. Then it would just be like Indy 4 .. We could just sweep it aside as the "Really crappy one" (BTTF 3 wasn't stellar anyhow)

Or we could perhaps be somewhat impressed if it was somehow decent.

But if they literally REMADE the Original BTTF ... Perhaps same storyline but Modern Day going back to ~1980 or same Timeline just plot slightly changed ... Well then .. See the Above Video :S It's such an INCREDIBLE Classic I would cry if it got tainted with a direct remake.

nm, was something else....
    ^^Everything said above is purely the opinion of the person who posted it. Nothing said is to be taken as fact unless otherwise stated, and even then only taken into consideration as fact, and not an actual fact, as it could be wrong or in other ways misinformed.

imo this series, if rebooted, would never make it past the 1st movie.

Simply put, you don't fuck with an American classic. This is one of them.

All the reboots you see are movies that aren't classics that still did well initially, or had some sort of cult following.

You don't see reboots of The Godfather, Platoon, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Gone with the Wind, etc. That's because they would flop. So would this.

Got me looking around now for other reboots/remakes. Looks like another 80s classic is under the blade... Short Circuit, one of my favs from the 80s(part 2 was a waste mostly)

Quote Originally Posted by mirthen View Post
    Got me looking around now for other reboots/remakes. Looks like another 80s classic is under the blade... Short Circuit, one of my favs from the 80s(part 2 was a waste mostly)
    OMG! Seriously? Rebooting Short Circuit? We don't need another "I, Robot"...

15+ Year Old Account
    No one would fit as Doc!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuukon View Post
    OMG! Seriously? Rebooting Short Circuit? We don't need another "I, Robot"...
    Johnny 5 could be the next SIRI iteration.