Mage Heroic Spine questions. Fire/Arcane reforge.

Hey all.

Ok i am having issues with damage on the burning tendons on spine. My ilvl is 403 and i go to SW to reforge for standard arcane. But my new guild is telling me their mages are fire and DO NOT reforge for arcane and they do great damage on tendons. My question is should i just stay reforged for Fire and just swap spec to arcane? I do have the valor trink and Will of Unbinding. I feel the static int is better than a haste proc trink.

So if any of you pro mages got tips on beating down that tendon please help me out.

Thanks for your time and help.

If you have the encounter on farm then yeah reforging probably isn't necessary. If you're pushing progression I would definitely recommend reforging for arcane.

If their mages are fire then they aren't doing "great" damage on tendons regularly. They're doing great damage on tendons occasionally. Fire is too rng for an 18 second window to be good consistently.

Deleted
    I personally do not reforge specifically for arcane on Heroic Spine. Respeccing to Arcane, however, yes, Do so

If you're pushing progression, you might want to reforge for standard arcane though. Every little bit helps on progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    If their mages are fire then they aren't doing "great" damage on tendons regularly. They're doing great damage on tendons occasionally. Fire is too rng for an 18 second window to be good consistently.

*But my new guild is telling me their mages are fire and DO NOT reforge for arcane and they do great damage on tendons.*

Sorry guess i should of added they do switch to arcane but they do not reforge for arcane. They just keep fires reforging.

If I remember this totally right now, the best dps reforge for tendon was to go as much mastery as you could with having the haste "soft cap", and using the valor point trinket for extra spell power, used mage ward just before the explosion and went into the nuke with 4 stacks of arcane blast.. and thats abt it^^

With fire reforge(at least if they reforge for crit), their arcane blast will hit far less than with mastery stacking. Like if i remember right, the first time i didnt care abt reforging for spine anymore, my damage on tendons went down like 10% or something like that, but there was 5% to 10% transition too at the same time, but its way less damage to be in fire reforge than in proper mastery reforge.. for that am quite sure.

Yes, use Will of Unbinding and the Valor Trinket. The Haste Proc Trinket is too RNG for Tendon burst.

I personally don't reforge Arcane for Spine anymore, (it's a farm for us), but if you are on progression, I suggest you do. Fire reforge is good enough if Spine is a farm boss.

Get the spell power buff off shields before Tendon is up, make sure AB is at 4 stacks going onto the Tendon, NOMNOM that Mana Gem, and obviously use Valor Trinket and DPS cooldowns (Arcane Power, Orb, MI, etc. You can even try and stockpile the max mana you can before going onto the Tendon, such as Evo'ing and not spamming AB.

I'm Arcane for Spine HC and usually the one top DPS there. Reforged for maximum Mastery and Haste soft cap (minus T13 2p bonus).

Here's what I do during the encounter:
    - equip the valor points use trinket along with Will of Unbinding
    - keep 10 stacks Stolen Time (T13 2p) and Combat Mind (Will of Unbinding trinket) up ALL THE TIME
    - if you run out of Combat Mind spam Arcane Missiles to build up stacks fast
    - build and keep 4 stacks Arcane Blast up right before DPSing the Burning Tendron
    - if there's nothing else you can safely cast on use the Corruption to keep your stacks up
    - have max mana and use all CDs for Burning Tendron (no-brainer, really)
    - if you are on Grip service, start casting on Corruption a second before the Grip comes, people will be out faster that way
    - get the person who helps you out of the Grip to do the same; so far, I'm trying to save Iceblock to break out of Grips during the final plate

I am personally playing Arcane this whole content out of some reasons. We are 10 man and have poor caster support so Fire sucks like hell and doesn't really get above Arcane, plus nobody else brings 3% damage buff, and I found the difference between Arcane and Fire is not that relevant for most bosses since they are already nerfed to the ground. Fire has its uses on Ultraxion and Yor'sahj and can be potentially very strong, but it depends on your raid environment, - don't fool yourself - your RNG luck, and especially boss mechanics, and there are some really shitty mechanics for Fire in DS like Hagara, Zon'ozz or Spine for which I would always recommend Arcane over Fire.
    Whoever tells you you cannot be Arcane since Fire is the only viable spec should really not be in any kind of advisory position for a raid group.
    Last edited by The Kao; 2012-06-22 at 09:05 AM.

Deleted
    Doing Spine HC in fire reforges is definatly possible and does acceptable damage assuming you stack your CDs properly and stuff.

This week we did leave <30% mio left on the Tendon after one attempt, kindoff intresting to try stacking 3 or 4 proper arcane mages see if we can nuke the tendons in one go.... then you totaly know it has indeed been nerfed to and beyond shit.

Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post
    Doing Spine HC in fire reforges is definatly possible and does acceptable damage assuming you stack your CDs properly and stuff.

This week we did leave <30% mio left on the Tendon after one attempt, kindoff intresting to try stacking 3 or 4 proper arcane mages see if we can nuke the tendons in one go.... then you totaly know it has indeed been nerfed to and beyond shit.
    We use one mage and we kill Tendon one hit lol.

Quote Originally Posted by namliam View Post

yerr we left tendons at around 25% and like 5% with hero on last 1 with first goes, and we even had boost in the raid and 2 warlocks, so doing it with 1 go with people that know what they are doing is pretty doable on 10 man and when you think of it, if you got the tendon to under 45% before the nerfs hit in 1 go before, there really aint anything to stop you from 1 shotting it now, plus your raid is prolly full bis now, unless you are in a 10 man^^

Yeah my old guild was a 10 man. So i know theres SOME differences between the two. I do run fire and i enjoy it on every fight minus spine. It does have crazy RNG and its tough when you are a trial to a guild and you either do great or just ok. My last guild replaced me because they said my damage was low. So they replaced me with another 8/8 mage who was better geared and had many more HM kills than i do. I was asked to come in on a run to help out as another player was missing that raid night. I out damaged the new mage on nearly every fight or was right at where he was. The guild asked me how come i didn't do this well then i was a trial.......gotta love fires RNG. Ignites are a total bitch sometimes. But i still enjoy the spec.

Thank you guys.

I will make a seperate post for 25 man HM Madness as i have never done it in a 25 man setting so im looking for advice on doing good there as well.

It's the worst, people who think they may judge you based on some petty numbers, expecting too much because they take everything the dogmatic WoL says for granted while entirely ignoring individual problems and mechanics. Guess I'm lucky to have found a guild where they measure reasonably after 6 years. So rare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kao View Post
    It's the worst, people who think they may judge you based on some petty numbers, expecting too much because they take everything the dogmatic WoL says for granted while entirely ignoring individual problems and mechanics. Guess I'm lucky to have found a guild where they measure reasonably after 6 years. So rare these days.
    well yes, but if you are constantly strugling on certain fights when others of the same class arent, then there might be something wrong and that could be fixed, mages shouldnt really be behind on any fight in dragon soul atm, sure some are a bit rng depending on your spec, but mages in general are pretty good in dps atm, sure there are bad days/tries there, but in general if you aint constantly bringing it, you aint playing your mage to the max. If you are doing the best you can with your gear and rng, good leaders will spot it and wont go futher on it, but that goes the other way too, if you are at the same gear level and are never even near other people then some guilds might take note of that and replace you, if they do end up doing that.. then maybe it werent the guild for you. A good guild with decent leaders, first identify the problem and try to help you fix it