Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    What would be a good play 'style' list look like?

* Kite / Control
    * Tank
    * Turret
    * Glass cannon
    * Melee burst

And associate builds with that?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    What would be a good play 'style' list look like?

* Kite / Control
    * Tank
    * Turret
    * Glass cannon
    * Melee burst

And associate builds with that?
    There are no tanks in this game, nor healers or pure dps.

Every profession can be ranged or melee. Everyone can be glass cannon if you do not take attributes for to increase armor / HP. You want to have every attribute, but it is up to you how much you take and how you want to play.

Primary attributes:
    Power — every point increases attack by one point.
    Precision — increases critical hit chance.
    Toughness — every point increases armor by one point.
    Vitality — every point increases maximum health by ten points.

Secondary attributes:
    Boon Duration — Improves the duration of all boons applied by the character.
    Condition Damage — Improves the damage done by conditions like burning, poison, confusion, and bleeding.
    Condition Duration — Improves the duration of all conditions inflicted by the character.
    Critical Damage — Improves the damage multiplier on critical strikes.
    Healing Power — Improves all outgoing heals that your character does, including self heals.

There is also eight profession specific attributes, but I will not list them here.

And because I clearly have a way too much time:

Professions:
    Guardian
    Guardians are the masters of protection. Their special ability is the use of three virtues; Courage, Justice and Resolve, which enhance their attacks and defenses until they are used to aid allies. The guardian's play-style has a defensive feel and are adept at supporting their allies. Their unique attribute is Willpower which affects virtues' recharge rate.

Warrior
    Masters of martial combat, the warrior hosts a wider selection of weapons than any other profession. The warrior uses adrenaline as their special ability, building it and unleashing it as a powerful burst skill during combat. Warriors are excellent damage dealers, and have an aggressive play-style. Their unique attribute is Brawn which increases burst skill damage.

Engineer
    Masters of mechanical mayhem, engineers use device kits, weapon kits and turrets to mix up the battlefield. The engineer's profession mechanic is the tool belt - each healing or utility skill adds a skill to this belt, providing them with added utility when it is needed most. Their unique attribute is Ingenuity which affects tool belt skill recharge rate.

Ranger
    Rangers are masters of their natural surroundings, and use a multitude of skills designed to track down and hunt their enemies. The rangers are also accompanied by their trusted pets, fighting in unison with their own set of skills to pick off their enemies one by one. Their unique attribute is Empathy which increases their pet's attributes.

Thief
    Thieves use their initiative to fuel their weapon skills, dishing out quick chains of damage before slipping away into the shadows. The other part of their speciality is stealing - each enemy has a number of environmental weapons that the nimble fingers of the thief can take and use to turn the fight. Their unique attribute is Cunning which affects recharge rate of stealing.

Elementalist
    Elementalists change their elemental attunement in battle to adapt to any situation by attuning to one of the four elements: Fire, Water, Air or Earth. Each attunement changes the five weapon skills on the skill bar, depending on the elementalist's equipped weapon set. Their unique attribute is Intelligence which affects recharge rate of all attunements.

Mesmer
    Mesmers can create illusions to fight by their side. They have mastered the harassing of enemies with phantasms or misleading them with clones. Illusions can also be shattered, destroying them and causing secondary effects, such as confusion, a powerful condition which damages foes as they continue their assault in vain. Their unique attribute is Guile which affects recharge rate of their shattering skills.

Necromancer
    Necromancers use a special resource called life force which is gathered each time a creature near them dies, or additionally by using certain skills. Its main function is to fuel necromancer's Death Shroud. While in Death Shroud, the character's health is temporarily replaced by accumulated life force, is immune to knockdown and has access to new skills and traits. Their unique attribute is Hunger which increases their life force pool.

While I am thankful for the great post you made the question was regarding: 'style'

So lets look at the TANK play 'style' as Warrior: Double Mace:

Hoping for a discussion regarding the rest of the play styles.

Deleted
    I have seen his videos, also the double axe was mad. I personally just removed myself from 1v1 situation when I saw warrior with one of those builds. (and in pvp you really should not run alone like that)

I just can not understand why people want to use wow terms. Worlds/servers are not realms, boons are not buffs, conditions are not debuffs, traits are not talents... This was not meant to you Cempa, it just bothers me to see videos from meta events and title says "raid". ._.

About that video, why didn't he just call it offensive/control warrior since in pvp /pve you can't be "tank" in terms of being able to control mob with _taunts_ and keep mobs attention. You can control mobs with mobility (Cripple, Chilled, Immobilize, Sink, Float, Wards) or with controlling damage effects (Blind, Chilled, Weakness, Daze, Confusion, Retaliation) or with both at the same time (Fear, Push, Launch, Pull, Stun, Knockdown).

I would like to see builds categorized more like this:
    - defensive build
    - offensive build
    - evade build
    - control build
    - support build
    - condition build
    - etc

You can see player made GW2 builds here and here. As you can see, the problem is that we are still on beta and the leaked voicechat conversation between devs tells us that they are still working with traist & skills. "the only traits in shippable state are engi." That is a direct quote, and we can expect them to be reworking with all other classes traits. Leak here.

Personally I will test all professions to see what I like the most. The weapons change so much of the game play. I usually buy some white weapons from vendor when I visit the main city first time, just so that I can see what possibilities profession has.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Iryne Omg, yes, yes and YES!! finally someone that understands that tanking and control are NOT the same thing =D!! Will you have my babies?

Btw, those warrior builds were EVERYWHERE and i frankly thought they were pretty garbage... i mean Cmon... they couldn't even kill my raven which only has a vitality of like 500 even with me stacking the stuff... pretty ridiculous...

PS: Before anyone goes "Zomg Eng traits were so badz!!" they reworked them and will likely not resemble what they were in BWE2 like at all, so don't get your panties in a bunch just yet...

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 11:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    While I am thankful for the great post you made the question was regarding: 'style'

So lets look at the TANK play 'style' as Warrior: Double Mace:

<snip>
    Hoping for a discussion regarding the rest of the play styles.
    Omg.... that build.... soooooo bad..... i want to see him fight against a condition build or you know... a player that actually knows what a defensive stat is lol, if he's doing THAT much damage per hit on those guys while not stacking in any offensive powers (which he clearly is) those guys are glass cannons, and pretty bad at how they play, i mean cmon.... that necro didn't even death shroud, the mesmer stood in melee range with a great sword and spammed 1, the ele just went Face---> keyboard and tried to win.... just.... no.... put em against another outlast build and he'd go down, EPSCIALLY a condition themed one.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Until players that are new to GW such as my self get the idea of the game wrapped around our heads we will still be using what we know!

I have seen great builds and guides from Team Paradigm, not disputing what you are saying just excited some one like the guy who made the video is educating me!

I really want to understand this thing because I only enjoy ranged and especially the control/kite type and hate turret -not even sure if this game has turret builds.

I am super confused because:

1) Necro -natural place to start...Like d it THEN
    2) Discovered Thief has a ranged build with great condition/control so I switched THEN
    3) saw a Warrior with a Rifle and went WTF MAN and played that and it was fun!

I am confused as hell now!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    @Iryne Omg, yes, yes and YES!! finally someone that understands that tanking and control are NOT the same thing =D!! Will you have my babies?
    Nah, babies would limit my playing time, but ty for offer.

Cempa, I'm not sure are you still asking this or have you already played the game.

Every profession has:
    - the ability to be ranged or melee
    - the tools to survive on its own
    - the ability to deal damage, control enemies and support the allies

Skill system allows for a multitude of vastly different builds for each professions and in combat weapon-switching allows:
    - to extend the number of skills available in combat,
    - to avoid long-winded cooldowns on skills,
    - to make use of the different weapon properties (such as range) in combat.

For example, some thief choises: You can be stealth based thief that stabs fast and then disappears (sword&dagger / dagger&dagger) or you can be thief that cripes and bleeds enemies from range (pistol&pistol) or you can be thief that thows AoE poisons&bleeds&cripples from range (bow) or a thief that shoots from range and then shadowsteps to target for melee strikes (dagger&pistol / pistol&dagger).

Those were only weapon effects, you can modify your playstyle even more with traits and utility skills. Do you want to give stealt support to your team or healing support or will you instead take poisons that will immobilize/chill/etc your target or maybe more stealth for yourself.

Currently there really is no "cookie cutter" builds... not yet, since we are still in beta. I bet that people with loads of time will calculate the best options. But until then you can play just like you want to... and maybe even after that "best build" has been told to us, you may want to carry some surprise for you enemy.

I look forward to GW2 for several reasons the biggest thus far is summed up by you nicely:

"Every profession has:
    - the ability to be ranged or melee
    - the tools to survive on its own
    - the ability to deal damage, control enemies and support the allies"

Now I just need to figure out how to pick a profession since all of them have the ability to be ranged and control!