Page 1 of 2
LastLast

7970 Ghz Edition

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...dition-review/

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...0_GHz_Edition/

It has a 1ghz core clock and has a feature like the gtx680, the "turbo boost", up to 1.05ghz.
    Pretty neat.
    Last edited by Naididae; 2012-06-22 at 05:46 PM.

Deleted
    Its on par or better than the 680. To bad that the cost is also the same, if they priced it at the same point as the regular 7970 it would be the way to go.

But with regular 7970s clocking just as high, this is just showing that AMD now has the fastest single gpu (or that seems to be the plan)

It still uses more power than the 680 and if you're mainly playing WoW, the 680 is still the way to go for better performance with that specific game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    It still uses more power than the 680 and if you're mainly playing WoW, the 680 is still the way to go for better performance with that specific game.
    No one in their right mind would get a card of such caliber for world of warcraft.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    No one in their right mind would get a card of such caliber for world of warcraft.
    If money is not a problem or if people just want to some of the fastest GPUs out right now, then there's no stopping these kind of people. Everyone has epeen in them in way or another...

If money is not a problem or if people just want to some of the fastest GPUs out right now, then there's no stopping these kind of people. Everyone has epeen in them in way or another...
    True but how cool do you look using 3% of something awesome? Its kind of like buying a cadillac to use the trunk.

This basically solidifies what I've said for a while: If the GTX 680 is not available or more expensive, go with the HD 7970. Most of the difference between the two is now a matter of niche.

You get pretty stellar performance out of either card though.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry but WoW would run just fine on a 460, the part that matters for WoW is the CPU. Buying a 680 for WoW is just bad.

Also, buying a 670 is a cheap way to get essentially almost the exact same thing as a 680/7970. Especially with just a little overclocking.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Naididae View Post
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...dition-review/

It has a 1ghz core clock and has a feature like the gtx680, the "turbo boost", up to 1.05ghz.
    Pretty neat.
    Did you really mean to say "turbo boost" to 1.05 ghz? As in, .05 ghz "boost"? If so, that has to be the funniest marketing gimmick EVER for a piece of hardware.

Don't ask me why, maybe because it "seems" like most ATI cards that are "competitors" for X nVidia card always has lower clock speeds, I just dislike ATI cards for some reason.

To me, and I know I'm wrong (technically speaking) but it's like the AMD/Intel debate. Buy AMD if you need a cheap but decent processor or an Intel if money isn't and issue and you want a great processor.
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-06-22 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    To me, and I know I'm wrong (technically speaking) but it's like the AMD/Intel debate. Buy AMD if you need a cheap but decent processor or an Intel if money isn't and issue and you want a great processor.
    Truthfully, even your comparison is, in my opinion, wrong. Intel isn't an "if money isn't an issue" brand; while they have an "if money isn't an issue" line-up in the back, it certainly isn't their foundation. Fact of the matter is that their gamers' lineup is more solid than the competitors' price-equivalent. That said, this difference is usually rather mythical; it's there, but games don't really seem to notice a whole lot to or from.

ATI is also no longer the name of the game, it's AMD. No attempts to be subtle anymore. Their lineup has been excellent though, and any dislike is widely unfounded. They've responded very well to the nVidia line-up that is present. Their worse department is a somewhat lack-luster driver-support, but this is widely seen on the multi-GPU side, not single-GPU. Single-GPU do just fine.

I'd still take GTX 670 :-D

So, AMD is back with the fastest single GPU on the block.
    Not really unexpected.
    It doesn't win in PPW, and I find it amusing that now people whom prefer nVidia have boarded that train, when they completely shunned the argument before.(As someone who's always preferred PPW and FPS/money spent, this card is a paranthesis for me personally.)

Having waited for the Tahiti XT2 over GTX 680 was as pointless as people waiting for the GTX 680 over the HD7970.
    Like always, upgrade when you need to what you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    When and where can I buy one?!

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    So, AMD is back with the fastest single GPU on the block.
    Not really unexpected.
    It doesn't win in PPW, and I find it amusing that now people whom prefer nVidia have boarded that train, when they completely shunned the argument before.(As someone who's always preferred PPW and FPS/money spent, this card is a paranthesis for me personally.)

Having waited for the Tahiti XT2 over GTX 680 was as pointless as people waiting for the GTX 680 over the HD7970.
    Like always, upgrade when you need to what you need.
    It's nothing but an overclocked version of the elder HD 7970 with a turbo- feature. You may expect this to be a damn unstable piece of ****

Quote Originally Posted by Hirv3s View Post
    It's nothing but an overclocked version of the elder HD 7970 with a turbo- feature. You may expect this to be a damn unstable piece of ****
    If you expect that, you'd be wrong.

I've heard of no HD7970 that didn't handle 1075 MHz at least, and that on stock v.
    With 0.05 extra, it will handle it more than fine.

The Tahiti XT2, overclocked "standard HD7970" or not, is still the fastest single GPU... until GK110.

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    I must be out of my mind then because I just setup my current rig about three weeks ago with a gtx 670 and 95% of my computer time is WoW and web browsing. Hell, I even over clocked it if that makes you feel any better. I've probably logged about a half hour on Crysis 2 and I did download the Arkham City demo off steam
    CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.4 Ghz l Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 l MB: Asrock Z77 Xtreme4 l Memory: 8GB Gskill Ripjaws X l GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 l SSD: Crucial M4 256 GB l HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black l PSU: Corsair HX850 l Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower l
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardsoldoutin2009 View Post
    i'm going to report you for trolling. you don't have the right to disagree with my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reviews say that it is a super high binned 7970 so you are paying a tiny bit extra to make sure you get one of the best ones. Plus they added the features or whatever.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think you are getting that much of a better ship either. My 7970 does precisely those clocks and also has a base voltage of 1112mV instead of 1162mV like most of these sample 7970GEs do. Anyway I successfully flashed my 7970 to a 7970GE, but the drivers I have access to don't seem to be compatible. With Catalyst 12.4 WHQL or any of the betas from Guru3D, Windows will BSOD right after the logo appears with a STOP code of 0x07E. With a generic display driver it loads into Windows fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    The reviews say that it is a super high binned 7970 so you are paying a tiny bit extra to make sure you get one of the best ones. Plus they added the features or whatever.
    No, they're not super high bins. That's simply not what anyone's said.

What has been said is the yield has improved. The manufacturing process they use to produce the cards is offering a generally higher quality now. At least, that's what AMD claims. To be perfectly honest, almost every review out there were mildly confused that AMD hadn't put the cards at 1 GHz to begin with, since they could usually just max out the core clock slider in Catalyst Control Center's overclock menu. (1125MHz I think it was.)

As far as turbo goes, the feature already existed as a power saving feature; the cards were designed to throttle down to nearly non-existence during no load. All this boost does is reusing the same feature from powersaving to give the extra boost during load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    No, they're not super high bins. That's simply not what anyone's said.
    Orly? you think I just made that up out of thin air?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...ition-review/3