Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    Orly? you think I just made that up out of thin air?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon...ition-review/3
    Yes, I did think that at first, since that's usually what happens around here. That said, your link does say they bin them, so my bad there. I was under the impression they were just sort of bumping up the clocks of the HD 7970s on reference cards in general, but it looks like it'll sell alongside the old revision apparently.

That said, the HD 7970 almost universally handle the GHz mark just fine, so the binning can be anything from super high bins, to just filtering out the poorer samples that just don't handle the GHz mark. That's not a huge portion of them, really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    No one in their right mind would get a card of such caliber for world of warcraft.
    Friend of me runs two 590's, and only plays WoW...

WoW doesn't even use more the 1 GPU so I was like /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Elapo View Post

Well if you got 5 x 2560x1440 monitors, go for it!

That's an interesting statement. WoW can and will use more than 1 GPU, I'm pretty sure. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find SLI/CFX drivers deliver a very poor result anyway.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    More like WoW doesn't need more than one GPU vs not being able to use more than 1.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    That's an interesting statement. WoW can and will use more than 1 GPU, I'm pretty sure. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find SLI/CFX drivers deliver a very poor result anyway.
    Well, that changed then, but seeing it still sucks at using multiple cores of a CPU, I can't imagine it actually working fine...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that changed then, but seeing it still sucks at using multiple cores of a CPU, I can't imagine it actually working fine...
    They updated a lot of things with the WoW engine in Cataclysm and then are again with MoP.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    See some benchmarks, its not outperforming 680 in SOME benchmarks, or if it does its at a fraction. Could be drive issue.

http://www.techspot.com/review/546-a...ion/page2.html
    -K

Oh god, Im jelly and pissed. Does he atleast run more then 3 monitors of HD or above resolution ?
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Oh god, Im jelly and pissed. Does he atleast run more then 3 monitors of HD or above resolution ?
    Haha id laugh if it would be some 17" 800x600 hehe :P

But most likely runs under 3 monitors, 2 or most likely 1 .... My guess tho ^.^
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by H3llion View Post
    Haha id laugh if it would be some 17" 800x600 hehe :P

But most likely runs under 3 monitors, 2 or most likely 1 .... My guess tho ^.^
    17" @800x600 so he can say he plays WoW at 500 FPS

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Its on par or better than the 680. To bad that the cost is also the same, if they priced it at the same point as the regular 7970 it would be the way to go.

But with regular 7970s clocking just as high, this is just showing that AMD now has the fastest single gpu (or that seems to be the plan)
    No one is stupid enough to put a more powerful card on the market for the same price as a slightly inferior model. They should have dropped the price on the 7970 and released the 1Ghz model at the current price that the regular model sits at, but that's just my opinion.

This discussion (with the exception of the latest comment) has gone extremely off-topic. If you want to chat, use the Computer Forum Chat Thread (link in my sig).

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No one is stupid enough to put a more powerful card on the market for the same price as a slightly inferior model. They should have dropped the price on the 7970 and released the 1Ghz model at the current price that the regular model sits at, but that's just my opinion.
    Are they putting out the GHz edition's price at or above the GTX 680 mark?

I believe it's at the 680 mark, or around 500.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Lightning 7970 which is a 1Ghz card, is 560 CAD and the only other 1Ghz Core Clock 7970's I currently see on New Egg are the DC2T from Asus at 510 dollars, the Double D from XFX at 490 (I think it turbos at 1Ghz, not stock since it says 950/1000Mhz) and the Powercolor PCS+ which is 1.1Ghz and 500 dollars. I think it's safe to assume they will all be in the 500-550 price range. To be honest, the PCS+ Powercolor 7970 seems like a good value card considering it has the fastest core clock speed of any of the other 7970's and is a non reference design.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I agree with you. But the ghz edition is nothing special. Almost every regular 7970 clocks 1100+.

Thing is, if the price is the same as the regular one, there is no reason to buy a 680. They were already pretty much on par, and now the 7970 ghz edition is a tiny bit better. I dont know how prices are in US or anywhere else, but over here the 680 is about 50-100 euros more expensive than a 7970, making a 7970 ghz edition the better choice (If it is put at the price point of the regular 7970)