Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Video Card Suggestion?

Bought a new comp recently and it's got an i7 3.4 ghz in it and 8 gigs of ram, but the video card is complete garbage. I have been looking at getting a 560 TI, with that would I be able to play GW2 on max settings? This is the game I am mostly building the machine for, but want to be able to not have to upgrade for a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Lid

What's your budget?

What's your Power supply?

As for 560ti, I'm not sure it can run GW2 on max settings

10+ Year Old Account
    560 ti I expect would run it on max, once the game is actually optimized
    Your speaker volume BETRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU!

Video cards don't help very much right now so a 560 ti could def play it on high, 560 ti would be more than enough even if it did use the gpu more. It's more about the CPU atm. I have a 6870 and after playing for 19 hours straight my card wasn't being worked hard enough to ever have to spin the fans faster, and I think every other game it does.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-06-23 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    What's your budget?

What's your Power supply?

As for 560ti, I'm not sure it can run GW2 on max settings
    I have the 560ti, and it will run GW2 on max settings. But look into a Corsair power supply for it as well, those things are beast.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

I'm pretty sure that my power supply is 300. Budget wouldn't be too high, I would want to keep it pretty cheap, I think the 560ti was around $250, but I could possibly go as far as $300. If it's the right card and will give me exponentially more power then maybe slightly higher.

What would you say is the cheapest card that would run it in max settings without any problems?

If you want to play GW2 with max settings, i would go for a GTX570 if cash isn't an issue GTX670, GTX670 will last a good 2 years.

My partner has the GTX560ti and I'm not really that impressed by it, sure it's a cheap card that can run most things well but they run too hot and make too much noise for my liking. My GTX580 runs cooler and doesn't sound like a small jet.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Video cards don't help very much right now so a 560 ti could def play it on high, 560 ti would be more than enough even if it did use the gpu more. It's more about the CPU atm. I have a 6970 and after playing for 19 hours straight my card wasn't being worked hard enough to ever have to spin the fans faster, and I think every other game it does.
    It's been awhile since I have kept up with Computer stats, You say the video card doesn't matter much. That means cpu and ram would matter more, is the i7 3.4 and 8 gigs of ram going to cut it?

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    your processor and ram are more than sufficient. I have a 560 as well and it runs the game quite well on high. I get a little tug in WVWVW and large DE's but as its still beta Im not real stressed about it and even if it shipped as is my performance was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    your processor and ram are more than sufficient. I have a 560 as well and it runs the game quite well on high. I get a little tug in WVWVW and large DE's but as its still beta Im not real stressed about it and even if it shipped as is my performance was fine.
    In Dark Ages when we had massive battles I would typically turn my settings down to lowest possible to combat that, but since this game is much nicer looking than a game as old as Dark Ages I would not want to turn it down. So looking for a card that will work on max settings and hopefully not slow down even in big WvWvW.

Deleted
    I'm running a Nvidia 560GTX TI with a Cosair 700 PSU, and I had no problems during BWE to run it on max, full shades and so on. Worked like a charm.

I'm a "bit" low on RAM as I'm still running Win XP here (with the max of 3,5 Gb and yeah yeah, I know...Win 7...) with a AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual 6000+ 3,01 Ghz processor. So that is what I'm going to upgrade here.

Deleted
    How cpu heavy is gw2? I was looking into building a new rig with an AMD FX4170 because I use my PC only for BF3 and engineering programs like autocad/inventor. Would FX4170 cut it? I would prefer to stay away from i5 2500k since it is pretty much twice as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    My partner has the GTX560ti and I'm not really that impressed by it, sure it's a cheap card that can run most things well but they run too hot and make too much noise for my liking. My GTX580 runs cooler and doesn't sound like a small jet.
    Must not have a good brand, then. The only time I hear my MSI Twin Frozr 560ti in the slightest is when vsync is off on a game with no FPS cap and my FPS shoots to 1000+. Legends of Grimrock pre-patch is a good example of punching my video card in the face if vsync is off (day 1, there was no FPS cap and vsync was off by default. Was crashing people's computers because they didn't know to enable vsync and their cards were overheating. Funny stuff). My card also doesn't run especially hot while gaming at all.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-06-22 at 07:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GTX 660 should be out by the time GW2 launches, I'd hold off for it instead of buying a GTX 560 now.

spend the extra few dollars and get a gtx 570. I can run BF3 on Ultra with that card im future proofed for alteast 2 yrs with that card.

whats your psu and budget?

atm the game isnt optimized and relies heavily on the cpu and not so much on the gpu, which is why for the beta weekends a better graphics card wont net you as much of a performance boost as you might think.

Deleted
    if it's just for gw2, a 560 ti will be fine.
    they'll become real cheap with the release of the 660

10+ Year Old Account
    560 Ti is a bit much, and it's a bit on the expensive side. You can get an EVGA 550 ti for much less and get better performance out of it.

Im getting a 670 as my 560 isnt cutting it for WvW and what better to upgrade than for GW2 hey!

Quote Originally Posted by WarJames View Post
    Im getting a 670 as my 560 isnt cutting it for WvW and what better to upgrade than for GW2 hey!
    560 or 560ti?
    If it's a 560ti, are you sure it's not your processor? I was rarely going below 30FPS on the highest possible settings on my 560ti in 100man sieges.