Thread: The trumpet

Deleted

The trumpet

Anyone here play a brass instrument? I was given a second hand trumpet as a gift once I expressed a desire to learn a musical instrument, Being a military man I was delighted to be given a trumpet. Unfortunately I do not have a musical bone in my body, it took an hours practise just to make a noise on the thing. Even then it sounds like a moose giving birth or a man farting down a megaphone.

Does anybody know a website or youtube channel that can teach the trumpet? Preferably starting from the very beginning, I need all the help I can get. Thanks in advance.

I started playing a trumpet in 4th grade, and continued all the way through some of college. I played one semester in college in the marching band. I love it! I am sure there are ways to teach you how to blow into a mouthpiece. I would say the main thing you need to do is not think that you have to make a sound with your lips. In fact, really you're just making your lips close together and the air comes out right in the center and a pretty small hole. So, make your cheeks tight (don't puff them out!!) and blow out of your mouth. Then, slowly get your lips closer together and you'll have it! It's harder to get notes that sound higher because you need to be able to control the way your lips blow the air, but start with that and enjoy!
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account

Never played one myself.

These videos are pretty good as an overall guide on how to do a lot of things.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/215thArmyBand/videos

However you really should get a book. We used these in high school.
    http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Excel...s=trumpet+book

They teach you all the fingerings and have a lot of songs that are designed to teach you certain fingerings and changes that will really help you.

This website has a list of the fingerings.
    http://www.freewebs.com/chazmusic/sharpsflatsblues.htm

Have fun man. The trumpet is a really fun instrument.

The trumpet is deceptively a bastard to play. Small number of key positions, but huge number of musical notes to make, higher octaves cause brain aneurysms, etc.

My experience with the trumpet is fairly limited, compared to wind instruments but I find when you are a nub with brass, piece of advice, playing it off to one side, instead of holding it front and center really helps (but be warned it makes you look like a derpy derp).

You should check out a local music store, because they might be able to get you a copy of highschool level music books, which are usually the best, and have some basic, annoying 10 bar melodies that will make everybody around you shoot themselves, while helping you memorize fingerings and what-not.

EDIT: Also, learning to read and respond to sheet music takes a while, and takes starting at the beginning... It's kind of like learning touch typing.

"A" "Space" "S" "Space" "D" "Space" "F" "Space" etc. :P
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-06-24 at 10:42 AM.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the advice people, I will keep on practising.